Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Island Baal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:53 PM

Island Baal - Back to the Logic Problems
There are people and strange monkeys on this island, and you can not tell who is who (Edit: untill you understand what they said - see below). They speak either only the truth or only lies.
Who are the following two guys?
A: B is a lying monkey. I am human.
B: A is telling the truth.

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 thinkoutabox

thinkoutabox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:46 AM

If A is a liar(which is the case here) then either first statement could be false or second statement could be false or both could be false. So your conclusion then A is lying monkey assumes that both statements are false and neglects the possibility of first statement being false and second being true. If later is the case, then A is a lying human.

#3 thinkoutabox

thinkoutabox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:52 AM

hey
sorry..i missed the part of hypothesis that they only tell all truths or all lies. Then the conclusion you've got is correct. Nice puzzle!

#4 colorclown26

colorclown26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:51 PM

Took a while. Good puzzle!

#5 spazchik

spazchik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

I just wanna say that monkeys can't talk... so how can they lie? And surely you can tell from seeing them that the human was human and not monkey (unless being contacted via radio or something).
Sorry if I got some facts wrong, I just like being technical.

#6 Slick_Rick9009

Slick_Rick9009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:04 AM

First off, to account for not being able to know what species they are by simply looking at them you might be blind, they could be wearing costumes, you might be on the opposite sides of a wall, you could communicate via radio, as you suggested, or any number of other possibilities. But, anyway, I actually got this one in like 5 seconds (litterally) since I read almost all of the of the other puzzles here so I already knew basically what was gonna happen. It was a great puzzle though, keep 'em comin!

#7 jaygupta

jaygupta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:30 AM

really good one

#8 LadyDanser

LadyDanser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:47 PM

Definitely a good one. It took me a second to realize they could both be lying.

#9 hellsingiscool

hellsingiscool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

So wait, if you take out the monkey and human part it will look like this
A: B is a liar. I am telling the truth.

And that means that it is a paradox because B is saying that A is telling the truth but if A is telling the truth, B is lying so that means A is lying and B is telling the truth and it's right back where it started right?

#10 aishi_khurana

aishi_khurana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

Island Baal - Back to the Logic Problems
There are people and strange monkeys on this island, and you can not tell who is who. They speak either only the truth or only lies.
Who are the following two guys?
A: B is a lying monkey. I am human.

IF B IS A LYING MONKEY THEN HE WOULD NOT SAY A IS TRUTHFUL....WHICH MEANS HE'S AGREEING THAT HE'S A LYING MONKEY.....CONTRADICTION!!!!!NOW IF A IS LYING THEN B IS A HUMAN AND HE HIMSELF IS A MONKEY...THIS IS AGAIN CONTRADICTION!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users