Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Biology

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#71 cari2483

cari2483

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

So, I am going to take a stab at this, and there is no guarantee that this is right because it has been a few years but here it goes:

.5/43=x/60

to solve for X the equation read: (I used the * as a multiplication symbol so as not to be confusing)

60/60 * .5/43 = x/60 * 60/60

30/2580 = X

3/258 = X

3/258 = .01 per minute

.04 *43 min = .43 (which is half)

.43 * 2 = .86 to be full

So, it would take 86 minutes from start to finish to be full

So, 12:00 + 86 minutes = 1:26

So, at 1:26 the dish should be full.

Any chance that is close to right?

Edited by cari2483, 06 April 2009 - 05:50 PM.

#72 cari2483

cari2483

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

Wait...I just thought about it and realized I did all that work for nothing LOL. If the dish was half way full at 12:43 and every minute, the organisms double, then at 12:44 the dish should be full...right?

Like I said in the previous post, it has been a while and the scientific size of the organism aside I still didn't see how 11:59 could have been the right answer, even after reading all of the posts.

#73 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

Wait...I just thought about it and realized I did all that work for nothing LOL. If the dish was half way full at 12:43 and every minute, the organisms double, then at 12:44 the dish should be full...right?

Like I said in the previous post, it has been a while and the scientific size of the organism aside I still didn't see how 11:59 could have been the right answer, even after reading all of the posts.

well spotted

answer for old wording is 11:59
answer for new wording is 12:44

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#74 Oversat

Oversat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:45 PM

I believe the point of the exercise has been missed: Its a logic puzzle, not a Biology question. The answer is 12:44 (in one more minute) because 1/2(amount of petri dish full) x 2 (the number of cells after each divide) = 1

#75 tarzan

tarzan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

#76 passthecookies

passthecookies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:46 AM

ok well not to be rude but cells after division are actually the same size...the chromosomes and nuclei from the original cell are doubled and equal in size. If what has been previously stated is true then an older person's skin cells would be significantly smaller than a newborn's skin cells for example because they have been divided a vast amount more which is wrong...the plate would be full one minute later if it were only half full a minute before. Thank-you, for you have just been out smarted by a 13 year-old girl.

#77 mensan578

mensan578

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:25 PM

ok well not to be rude but cells after division are actually the same size...the chromosomes and nuclei from the original cell are doubled and equal in size. If what has been previously stated is true then an older person's skin cells would be significantly smaller than a newborn's skin cells for example because they have been divided a vast amount more which is wrong...the plate would be full one minute later if it were only half full a minute before. Thank-you, for you have just been out smarted by a 13 year-old girl.

Not to be rude "passthecookies", but in all logic, that's not necessarily true. Depending on the organism, mitosis takes a different variability rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users