Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Perpetual Motion?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Baby Mac

Baby Mac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

You have an area 100 yards in length by 10 yards in width

You have a solid steel orb (perfectly smooth) which weighs 100 pounds and has a circumference of 1 foot

You are on earth so you have normal gravity – there is no wind – and your surface is made of concrete

There are 3 hills within the 100 yards – each hill becomes smaller then the previous hill

You start the orb at the 0 yard mark

1.) What would the minimum height be at the initial starting point for the orb to make it to the end of the 100 yards?
2.) How high would the three hills be given the fact that the orb reaches each hills apex with little momentum to spare?

NOTE: please be kind – this is my first attempt at posting…

#2 Smith

Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

Baby Mac, I first want to apologize... While I was writing a new puzzle post, you posted your first puzzle (we were just a few minutes apart). I apologize because my puzzle will probably supersede your puzzle on the Google gadget only minutes after yours shows up. I know that if I were you, I would want my puzzle to remain visible for some time and NOT be replaced by someone else's puzzle. Had I known you were posting, I would have waited a day. So sorry.

Now, about YOUR puzzle...
  • Is the area flat, other than the three hills?
  • Does the orb have a starting velocity, or does it actually begin at the apex of the first hill?
  • Are these hills actually round when viewed topographically? Or is your intent that these are rises and valleys which run transverse to the path of the orb, like speed-bumps?
I'm hoping these questions will help you to clarify your puzzle.

#3 TheChad

TheChad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

I don't think that there is one answer to this problem.
I'm sure I could do this with a starting point of less than a foot, assuming that there is no friction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users