Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 semismart

semismart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

Lets say there were 4 men who went to a town to buy things for their fishing trip. 2 of them bought oars and two bought roap. on the way home they came across a river. the only way they could cross it is by rowing in a boat. only 2 can go across each time. how can yo0u get all four of them over to the other side

#2 neida

neida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:01 PM

Lets say there were 4 men who went to a town to buy things for their fishing trip. 2 of them bought oars and two bought roap. on the way home they came across a river. the only way they could cross it is by rowing in a boat. only 2 can go across each time. how can yo0u get all four of them over to the other side

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but...

Spoiler for My answer

#3 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:13 PM

It seemed really easy, and I'm not sure if i misunderstood it...

Spoiler for answer

#4 Lausus

Lausus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:24 PM

I'm a little confused as to how all the men went to town just fine, but on the way back home somehow encountered a river.

#5 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

Wait! maybe there is another condition that he forgot to state, but meant to. Maybe the people can only use what they bought, two can only use oars, and the other two an only use rope... This would make it at least a little more interesting...

And lol Lausus I didn't even think of that!

#6 neida

neida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

Wait! maybe there is another condition that he forgot to state, but meant to. Maybe the people can only use what they bought, two can only use oars, and the other two an only use rope... This would make it at least a little more interesting...

And lol Lausus I didn't even think of that!

I had thought of that, but ...
Spoiler for but...

#7 Lausus

Lausus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

I had thought of that, but ...

Spoiler for but...

Well, it is very possible to row a small boat with only one oar, so you wouldn't need two oarmen.

#8 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:49 PM

Well, it is very possible to row a small boat with only one oar, so you wouldn't need two oarmen.

But I doubt he would be able to row very well with someone else in the boat. Maybe if he was by himself, but it would be too crowded with company (at least in the type of boat I'm thinking of)

I wonder... In the original question it states "Two of them bought oars" does this mean two of them bought one oar each? or two of them bought two oars each? More importantly, does it make a difference?

#9 Lausus

Lausus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

Hmmm, it just became more difficult. We are not told the men actually had a boat, only that one was necessary. They now need to use the (assumed) two oars and rope to build a boat.

#10 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

Hmmm, it just became more difficult. We are not told the men actually had a boat, only that one was necessary. They now need to use the (assumed) two oars and rope to build a boat.

And since it never states how many oars or how much rope were purchased, they obviously bought plenty of oars, and rope, and made a boat like you mentioned. Then use the leftover oars to row across in the 2, 1 back, 2, 1 back fashion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users