Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Flowers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#21 roadent

roadent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:46 AM

That is not true, though. Providing the man asking the question does have two or three flowers, he is not lying. If he less than two or more than three flowers, then the "except for two" part would be a lie. The obvious answer is three. However, if he has two flowers that are not of the type he mentioned, he is not lying, his statement is just awkward and misleading,

Ok, I try to keep an open mind. I guess I can see your point that there may be only two flowers after all. But I'd be very cautious of a person who has a habbit of "misleading" in this sort of way. Can you imagine him going to a bank to get a loan?!?

#22 Riddari

Riddari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:54 AM

I am sorry, Sajow. I completely read your comment wrong. As you may have guessed, I thought you were saying that riddles were only suppose to have one answer. After rereading it, I see that it was a very valid point, there are two correct answers to the riddle. I will also agree with Roadent that the "three flowers" answer would be slightly better, at least it is the one I would choose on a multiple choice test.

#23 may_g21

may_g21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:29 PM

Flowers - Back to the River Crossing Puzzles
How many flowers do I have if all of them are roses except two, all of them are tulips except two, and all of them are daisies except two?

Flowers - solution
There are 2 solutions:
Three flowers: rose, tulip, daisy.
Two flowers: carnation, geranium.

How come there are carnation and geranium in your solution. The riddle stated only 3 types of flower.

#24 BoilingOil

BoilingOil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

How come there are carnation and geranium in your solution. The riddle stated only 3 types of flower.

Actually, I think it's a brilliant answer. The two flowers are not roses, so all of them are roses except the two. The same goes for tulips and daisies. Really, why would the "Two Flowers" answer be wrong? In fact they could be anything but roses, tulips and daisies.

But actually, I think this was just a leg-pull, and you offered your leg to be pulled by replying

BoilingOil

#25 vivaciousmel

vivaciousmel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

Then by that logic, they could be any type of flower, not just geranium and carnation.

The first solution is the only logical one with the information provided. The second one is a pretty funny one to catch out all you serious people!

UMMM... YOU CAN'T HAVE ONLY TWO FLOWERS.
one has to be a rose...
one has to be a tulip...
and one has to be a dasie...

1+1+1= 3

actually, you don't need a rose, tulip, or daisy. think about it, the riddle says they are all roses EXCEPT TWO, all tulips EXCEPT TWO, and all daisies EXCEPT TWO. therefore, if you only have two flowers, those two can be any flower except a rose, tulip, or daisy.

#26 Naruki

Naruki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:20 AM

While the first two answers are absolutely valid, there IS a single answer that is more precisely correct: "There is insufficient data to determine exactly."

Either of the first two answers has a 50/50 chance of being wrong, but this one is absolutely correct because there could be 2 or 3.

#27 Ender of Games

Ender of Games

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:10 AM

First off, if two flowers doesn't work, you all seem to prove it by saying he must have one rose/daisy/tulip. Where does it say that? All means all in the answer, it never says he has any of the above.

Two: Mathematically. All = x, but 2 = -2, and a = the number of that flower.

If there is only 2 flowers, then all = 2. This mean 2 = x. If we subtitute for roses, then (2)-2=a. Therefore a, roses, is equal to 0. As long as it works when you substitute all three, then the statement is true.

#28 Linzd21

Linzd21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:49 PM

Brain teasers mathmatical or not are not generally presented in ways that people who have not taken advanced mathmatics can't solve. Even if it is possible for the answer to be null, that is an extreem leap from the question posed.
i think there are 3 flowers. one of each kind.

and i think it is obnoxious to think otherwise.

#29 PlayTheMindGame

PlayTheMindGame

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:42 AM

Three Flowers. XD

#30 0gracefulgirl0

0gracefulgirl0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:30 PM

couldnt there be six
see with smilies:

;) ;) :P :P :D :D

all are happy except 2 all are mean except 2 and all are embarrsed except 2
see!

No all are happy ecept 4 (2 evil and 2 embarrased 2+2=4) and same with the rest, u just have 2 that are happy, ect. duh

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users