Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 roolstar

roolstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

Roolstar .. Actually 3 should have got you 3 only! 4 bricks would be needed t make 5 patterns .. but I figure, you got the point..

Right, it seems I wrote that reply too quickly without rechecking my figures...

#12 grottylittlewanker

grottylittlewanker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:58 PM

heh, I just covered this stuff last quarter in school

I'm ashamed I didn't catch on that it was fibinocci...

the pattern problems weren't my strong suit...

#13 try n take me on

try n take me on

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

10?????????????????????????????????????????????????? :mellow:

#14 Aatif

Aatif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:21 AM

The problem will become more interesting if I would say that you have to make a 40x150x10 wall using minimum number of 20x10x10 brick. What are the no. of patterns? What are the no. of patterns for general case of this?

I tried doing it for 40x150x10 wall, though I could not figure out the exact function for patterns. Basically, it seems to me, it is a convoluted function of combination of fibonacci series and combinatorics!
All I could figure for 40x100x10 wall it will have f(10) = 96 patterns (and I made them, though I might have missed a few)! Any takers for f(15)??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users