Each letter of a message is replaced

by its right-hand neighbor in a

certain scrambled sequence. After

each step all the letters in this

scrambled sequence are advanced one

position in the normal alphabetical

sequence.

I'm not sure about the instructions. My impression is that

1) There is a certain sentence of unknown length (Maybe this key is the same as the plaintext, but scrambled. I'm not sure about this). Spaces are not present. Call this the key.

2) Each letter in the plain-text is replaced with the right-hand neighbor of the same letter in the key.

3) After encryption once, the letters of the keys are advanced one position.

I'm not too clear about step 3. Does it mean that step 1-3 are repeated several times on the same plain-text?

I'm not sure about the instructions. My impression is that

1) There is a certain sentence of unknown length (Maybe this key is the same as the plaintext, but scrambled. I'm not sure about this). Spaces are not present. Call this the key.

2) Each letter in the plain-text is replaced with the right-hand neighbor of the same letter in the key.

3) After encryption once, the letters of the keys are advanced one position.

I'm not too clear about step 3. Does it mean that step 1-3 are repeated several times on the same plain-text?

(1) The "scrambled sequence" in the

first sentence is a scramble of the

alphabet.

(2) the spaces in the string starting

with KDZAS are there only to make

transcription easier.

(3) each letter of the "scrambled sequence" is advanced

(4) the next letter of the plain is encrypted.

Thanks for the clarification. So, my understanding is that

1) The sequence of 26 alphabet letters are scrambled. We call this the key. A plaintext is chosen

2) The 1st letter of the plaintext is encoded as the right-hand neighbor of the same letter in the key.

3) The key is advanced 1 position.

4) Repeat step 2 and 3 with the 2nd letter of the plain text, then the 3rd, and so forth.

I just need one last clarification. If the key is a scramble of the alphabet, then the last letter of the this sequence does not have a right-hand neighbor. Does the wrap-around rule, i.e. right-hand neighbor of last letter is the first letter in sequence, apply here?

There is a fully scrambled key of 26 letters but our clue 'BALTIMORE' contains only 9 letters.

Some instinct is needed, I think.

All I revealed is:

----NG---AUT---A-O----E---

And this inspires nothing to me.

Sure I may have some fault in algoritm.

Thanks for the clarification. So, my understanding is that

1) The sequence of 26 alphabet letters are scrambled. We call this the key. A plaintext is chosen

2) The 1st letter of the plaintext is encoded as the right-hand neighbor of the same letter in the key.

3) The key is advanced 1 position.

4) Repeat step 2 and 3 with the 2nd letter of the plain text, then the 3rd, and so forth.

I just need one last clarification. If the key is a scramble of the alphabet, then the last letter of the this sequence does not have a right-hand neighbor. Does the wrap-around rule, i.e. right-hand neighbor of last letter is the first letter in sequence, apply here?

Yes, wrap around applies.

There is a fully scrambled key of 26 letters but our clue 'BALTIMORE' contains only 9 letters.

Some instinct is needed, I think.

All I revealed is:

----NG---AUT---A-O----E---

And this inspires nothing to me.

Sure I may have some fault in algoritm.

What's needed now is a little intelligent guessing. For example, what letter is likely to be in front of NG? Work out all of the consequences of this guess then do some more intelligent guessing. So far, you're doin' good!

What's needed now is a little intelligent guessing. For example, what letter is likely to be in front of NG? Work out all of the consequences of this guess then do some more intelligent guessing. So far, you're doin' good!

The poet is right, it is such a joy.

I'll keep the plaintext hidden for other solvers. This is a good puzzle. I find that the guessing process goes a lot faster once I write a function that takes in an incomplete key and construct the plaintext. The whole process then just involves adding guesses to the key and see how the reconstructed plaintext looks

Edited by bushindo