plainglazed

Question

Remember M.J. wasn't in 'eighty four.

__
what are you, now talking about.

Or perhaps which M.J. of fame had more.

__
let's discuss it, no need to shout.

If at first mistaken it can strike a nerve.

__
maybe hot, if red throughout.

For this I'm desparate you can now observe.

__
got the point? I have no doubt.

Malice? It's almost a perfect anagram of Michael, and I think it fits lines 3 and 4, but not the last two.

Popsicle?

Surprisingly M.J. wasn't in 'eighty four. - This is the only line I don't get

__what are you talking about.

Or perhaps which M.J. of fame was more. - Michael Jordan was a Pop star.

__let's discuss it, something to spout. - Well, maybe this line too

If at first misplaced it can strike a nerve.

__maybe hot, if orange throughout. - When pressed to a nerve, something cold can feel hot. Popsicles can be any color.

For this I'm desparate you can now observe. - Desperate to have a dessert!

__got the point? I have no doubt. - Popsicles have a point.

Not either of those DN. Your explanations aint accurate either except of course about dessert and desperation but that is the case regardless of the context of this riddle.

May give a hint as to the structure of the riddle in a bit if needed.

Heya PG, busy at work but I've been watching this one but haven't had a useful guess yet.

that the title 'Hot Potato' has some relevance to the structure to the riddle? So far, I've found the wording of the riddle in general a bit hard to follow. I've considered the possibility that the lines and/or words are out of order and that they need to be rearranged before focusing too much on finding an answer.

Woops, meant to say Michael Jackson.

I take it spotlight wrong too?

I'm resisting the urge to take "Michael" to an anagram solver program. Though I'm not against looking up the meaning of the name, which happens to be "one who resembles God." I doubt that helps. Only thing I think of is Michelangelo, which has nothing to do with anything.

Potatoes can be orange. My guess is that's where you got the title.

Hm. Maybe hammer? It can definitely hurt you upon striking a nerve. If it's metal, it might glow orange when heated, like when forging something. The Michael's are just there to represent the two M's in hammer.

Heya PG, busy at work but I've been watching this one but haven't had a useful guess yet.

that the title 'Hot Potato' has some relevance to the structure to the riddle? So far, I've found the wording of the riddle in general a bit hard to follow. I've considered the possibility that the lines and/or words are out of order and that they need to be rearranged before focusing too much on finding an answer.

Ah, like juggling a hot potato? No need to rearrange the lines but probably goes without saying that some lines are independent of others, or not, or both.

punctuation..

Not so bizarre, cant tell for sure but may on the right track as to how to solve/guess. Still not it tho.

Woops, meant to say Michael Jackson.

I take it spotlight wrong too?

I'm resisting the urge to take "Michael" to an anagram solver program. Though I'm not against looking up the meaning of the name, which happens to be "one who resembles God." I doubt that helps. Only thing I think of is Michelangelo, which has nothing to do with anything.

Potatoes can be orange. My guess is that's where you got the title.

Hm. Maybe hammer? It can definitely hurt you upon striking a nerve. If it's metal, it might glow orange when heated, like when forging something. The Michael's are just there to represent the two M's in hammer.

None of that Im afraid DN. Are you giving hints to your puzzle here? Maybe I'm just over reading. Dang those POWs. As soon as you start thinking that way, they are everywhere, right?

Tea?

Hey Wilson, que pasa? Oo (so) long since we've riddled it seems. Not that but get how that works with at least the second half of the riddle.

Hahaha, yeah, PoW's make you a little paranoid. But nope, I wrote the riddle after I wrote that post.

No clues in this one neither. Or should I have said either? Hm.

Michael Kelly guitars?

If a note is misplaced, it can definitely strike a nerve.

Hot and orange just may be a reference to colorfully painted flames on electric guitars.

But... doesn't fit the desperate part.

Am I on the right track, with a brand name of Michael, or the note misplacement thing?

Hahaha, yeah, PoW's make you a little paranoid. But nope, I wrote the riddle after I wrote that post.

No clues in this one neither. Or should I have said either? Hm.

Michael Kelly guitars?

If a note is misplaced, it can definitely strike a nerve.

Hot and orange just may be a reference to colorfully painted flames on electric guitars.

But... doesn't fit the desperate part.

Am I on the right track, with a brand name of Michael, or the note misplacement thing?

Not on the right track with the brand name question. Gubdude posted the correct reference to the first line. I also mentioned to Jkb that the third line really is the least important in terms of leading to the answer and that the relation between the two M.J.s is not really significant in regards to finding the answer itself (dont want to say too much more). I really like the strike a nerve explanation but am afraid that too is not where I'm at with that clue.

Surprisingly M.J. wasn't in 'eighty four.=Micheal Jordon

if at first misplaced= shooting for a basket

if orange throughout= making the basket

got the point?= getting the score.....

so my guess is= shoot, making the shot, and/or raising the score or winning the game.

Surprisingly M.J. wasn't in 'eighty four.=Micheal Jordon

if at first misplaced= shooting for a basket

if orange throughout= making the basket

got the point?= getting the score.....

so my guess is= shoot, making the shot, and/or raising the score or winning the game.

Hello Jkb - Great thoughts above, very clever and thorough. Makes it tough to say no but must. I am really not liking how this one is going. I say this as apology and to take the blame. Dont know if this will help or confuse but:

the indented secondary lines were meant to be sort of parenthetical in that they in most cases clarify or contribute to the meaning of the line above. They also stand on their own as the more direct clues to the answer. The capitalized lines are pretty "glazed" and maybe not so plainly.

top pick/topic

Surprisingly M.J. wasn't in 'eighty four. - Jordan was the 3rd pick. Hard to believe considering how he did.

__
what are you talking about. - "talking about" = topic

Or perhaps which M.J. of fame was more. - Not sure how this one plays into the answer - Could be reference to Thriller being top album of the year

__
let's discuss it, something to spout. - Again, discuss and spout point to 'topic'

If at first misplaced it can strike a nerve. - I'm assuming this refers to a pointy pick

__
maybe hot, if orange throughout. - "hot topic", a heated pick will glow orange/red

For this I'm desparate you can now observe. - Not sure of this reference

__
got the point? I have no doubt. - double reference to both topic and pick

Awesome riddle PG.

I have a guess...Doesn't really work with the HINT...and well, yeah I guess it's probably pretty random.

conversation

Hey Hey MrsP - actually very very close!

Are you taking anything for your illness? Dont mean to imply your mind may be altered, well okay, maybe ^_^ . In all seriousness, hope you're feeling better.

top pick/topic

Surprisingly M.J. wasn't in 'eighty four. - Jordan was the 3rd pick. Hard to believe considering how he did.

__
what are you talking about. - "talking about" = topic

Or perhaps which M.J. of fame was more. - Not sure how this one plays into the answer - Could be reference to Thriller being top album of the year

__
let's discuss it, something to spout. - Again, discuss and spout point to 'topic'

If at first misplaced it can strike a nerve. - I'm assuming this refers to a pointy pick

__
maybe hot, if orange throughout. - "hot topic", a heated pick will glow orange/red

For this I'm desparate you can now observe. - Not sure of this reference

__
got the point? I have no doubt. - double reference to both topic and pick

Awesome riddle PG.

Well I "turned the page" with my reply to MrsP and look what's already there. Right on DD. Thanks Dont know how I replied at first without typing anything so this is in edit mode.

Edited by plainglazed

Surprisingly M.J. wasn't in 'eighty four. - like DD said "top pick"

what are you talking about. - definition of "topic" and also talking about (pronouncing) "top pick"

Or perhaps which M.J. of fame was more. - yeah, weakest line. meant to address the inevitable question re which MJ and as an example of a topic

let's discuss it, something to spout. - more references of "topic" as well as discuss the above line i.e. which MJ was more famous

If at first misplaced it can strike a nerve. - PoW - pick a nerve, any nerve (hopefully your first pick)

maybe hot, if orange throughout. - Brainden reference, see legend at bottom of New Word Riddles Forum homepage

For this I'm desparate you must now observe. - was desparate for a topic to make a riddle about

get the point? I have no doubt. - another general "topic" reference and get the point that I was desparate for a riddle topic.

Yes indeed, well done DudleyDude. Thanks to all!