BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Okay.. Found this puzzle interesting, and looks like not posted here---

2 sisters Amy and Beth are talking over phone. Both of them resides in the United States of America; Amy in a EAST COAST STATE, and Beth in a WEST COAST STATE. At one point of conversation, Amy asked Beth what time is it. On hearing the answer from Beth, Amy said "That's funny; it's the same time here". Assuming that both their clocks are in perfect working order and set correctly for their respective time zones, How is this possible?

Peace!

19 answers to this question

2 sisters Amy and Beth are talking over phone. Both of them resides in the United States of America; Amy in a EAST COAST STATE, and Beth in a WEST COAST STATE. At one point of conversation, Amy asked Beth what time is it. On hearing the answer from Beth, Amy said "That's funny; it's the same time here". Assuming that both their clocks are in perfect working order and set correctly for their respective time zones, How is this possible?

Peace!

it says they reside (live) in different states, not that they are currently in different states.

Amy lives in the western part of the Florida panhandle (Central Time) and Beth lives in an eastern portion of Oregon (mountain time). Amy has turned her clock back the hour for Daylight Savings Time, but before Beth needed to. They share the same time for an hour.

one is a state that does not recognize day light savings time. the other is.

I'm not one to say that this is wrong but the west and east coast times are 3 hours apart, not just 1. Good thinking though.

that they are talking about not what numerical time it is, but something else. It could be a variety of things I suppose. For example, they could be referring to "day time", or "night time". Also, they could be referring to what time it was in a game or something.

Edited by 14U2NV

post-14090-12506226195571.gif

I noticed that you didn't say what time zones, rather east/west coast states, so I pulled this map. Not every east/west coast state is totally in the ETZ/PTZ.

Edited by dumb_luck

Amy lives in the western part of the Florida panhandle (Central Time) and Beth lives in an eastern portion of Oregon (mountain time). Amy has turned her clock back the hour for Daylight Savings Time, but before Beth needed to. They share the same time for an hour.

This is correct

post-14090-12506226195571.gif

I noticed that you didn't say what time zones, rather east/west coast states, so I pulled this map. Not every east/west coast state is totally in the ETZ/PTZ.

Yes, this is the exact map that I was looking at when I posted my reply above.

:thumbsup:

Sister 1 is in Perth, Australia ("west coast" state of Western Australia), and Sister 2 is in New York, New York ("east coast" state of United States) - 12 hours apart...so if you leave off the AM and PM, you get the "same" time :)

(Although the western part of florida eastern part of oregon during the time change is the more "correct" answer since the AM/PM is the same

(edit: note that the tags are acting up on this page)

Edited by tpaxatb

Its possible if one of them cant read the clock correctly :)

anyway, one possible explanation could be that they are talking on the phone around the time where the daylight saving is coming in to effect and for one of them its effective at this time(during the call) and for the other sister the time to move to daylight saving is yet to occur so there clocks coincide!

Peace!

Thanks, everyone for your responses. Kudos to Carl for the right answer! and dumb_luck for providing the map explaining US time zones.

One is accounted for by the fact that part of Florida's "panhandle" is actually in the Central Time Zone, rather than the Eastern. Another hour is explained by the eastern part of Oregon that is in the Mountain Time Zone, rather than the Pacific (dumb_luck has explained this providing a map of the US with timezones). So, If April lives in that part of Florida, and Beth lives in that part of Oregon, there is really only one hour left to explain. When Daylight Savings Time ends, in the fall, people in the US (except Arizona and parts of Ohio and Kentucky, which don't observe DST), set their clocks back one hour. Technically, this occurs at 2 am local time, and the clock is set back to 1 am (though most people just set their clocks back before they go to bed, or do it in the morning, rather than stay up that late, April and Beth are technical gals, and wait for the proper time to set their clocks back). But because this is based on local time, people in the Central Time Zone will set their clocks back an hour before folks in the Mountain Time Zone do so. Since the MTZ is (normally) an hour behind the CTZ, and since the Non-DST time is an hour behind DST, there is a period of one hour each year (between 1 and 2 am), when Non-DST Central time is exactly equal to DST Mountain time.

Peace!