BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Same Sounding

plainglazed

Question

Meant just for good fun, like one from before.

Solve the five below, and then there is more.

Smaller in a sense, yet off the charts I can be.

Most common of man or deserted possibly.

Sometimes they'll listen, so get it off you should.

From me you would surely escape if you could.

Since no belly-aching's allowed, and he also cant fight.

We're hard to resist because the prices so right.

Found if taken over a period of time.

Make opinions count, like how 'bout this rhyme?

Similar to Eve just is not so poetic.

Served with haste, short and phonetic.

To begin the next step, a key you will need.

Entitling you to, the final answer indeed.

• Answers 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sometimes they'll listen, so get it off (or let it out) you should.

will listen?! I still liked my last answer (heat) but I will let it go. How about clothing?

burden

Good morning. Am afraid I must say not it. But for your efforts and for bringing this one back to life, am adding an alternative clue for this word (same word tho so the original clue should still work, hopefully) complete with its own tricky little homophone.

or

T'is the center half of the one for which it's known.

Left to his own devices, he devises on his own.

Hope this is helpful.

This makes me think of scream

a scheme...sounds like scream

or

like a plan..aka scheme

So maybe scheme? Doubt it though.

Edited by MrsP

This makes me think of scream

a scheme...sounds like scream

or

like a plan..aka scheme

So maybe scheme? Doubt it though.

Edit: The indent thing makes my guess go to the wrong spot, oh well. I'm sure you can see what I mean :) Oh and Good Morning to ya.

Seems logical, but I didnt think of that.

...chest as part of a group of answers. Should have said then that that is where I'm coming from with the "get it off" bit in the (original) first line.

Seems logical, but I didnt think of that.

...chest as part of a group of answers. Should have said then that that is where I'm coming from with the "get it off" bit in the (original) first line.

I figured as much, but can't seem to think of anything that works. So I was trying other directions, I won't anymore :) I keep thinking of things that could fit, but are not tangible. I guess I better chew on this some more.

Edited by MrsP

I figured as much, but can't seem to think of anything that works. So I was trying other directions, I won't anymore :) I keep thinking of things that could fit, but are not tangible. I guess I better chew on this some more.

Just to make sure. The answer is a word that can be both intangible and touchable and both meanings are described in the two lines; respectively.

What we have so far is: isle, ??? , deals, rate, nite.

So the second couplet is yet to be solved:

Sometimes they'll listen, so get it off you should.

or, given as an alternative:

Sometimes they'll listen, so
l
et it o
ut
you should.

Also hinted that it is both intangible and tangible (and I'll add: as described in the rhyme)

--adding the newest version--

wait...weight

I don't think it's right, especially with the newest stanza, but I am trying to keep my mind active and working on this one. Hope you don't mind the "thinking out loud".

wait...weight

I don't think it's right, especially with the newest stanza, but I am trying to keep my mind active and working on this one. Hope you don't mind the "thinking out loud".

Absolutely not (and I dont mind you thinking out loud, either ;) )

REWRITE

Left to his own devices, he "devices" on his own.

The initial thought for this added couplet came when I was driving into work this morning then I lost some of the intended translation when I first posted it.

Mal?

Sale? Or sell/cell?

Beg/beggar?

Have I guessed con yet? Fits first two lines, its half of convict or conman, and left to his own convictions he convicts on his own? Also, victim? Also, judge/judgment? Fits first three, I think

edit:

Now I'm thinking rumors for first two lines, but can't think of a synonym that fitst next two.

Also, muse?

Sometimes they'll listen, so get it off (or let it out) you should. - think it fits with muse

From me you would surely escape if you could. - maybe an undesired muse? Brilliance, genius, and greatness often come with loneliness... bleh

or

T'is the center half of the one for which it's known. - muse is half of music, or half of muse is use or US

Left to his own devices, he devises on his own. - left to his own muse, he muses on his own

Edited by DarthNoob

Mal?

Sale? Or sell/cell?

Beg/beggar?

Have I guessed con yet? Fits first two lines, its half of convict or conman, and left to his own convictions he convicts on his own? Also, victim? Also, judge/judgment? Fits first three, I think

edit:

Now I'm thinking rumors for first two lines, but can't think of a synonym that fitst next two.

Also, muse?

Sometimes they'll listen, so get it off (or let it out) you should. - think it fits with muse

From me you would surely escape if you could. - maybe an undesired muse? Brilliance, genius, and greatness often come with loneliness... bleh

or

T'is the center half of the one for which it's known. - muse is half of music, or half of muse is use or US

Left to his own devices, he devises on his own. - left to his own muse, he muses on his own

Wow, very cool how you can get that to fit. Not what I had in mind.

the first line of the original couplet and it's "edit" relate to the intangible meaning of the word and the second line relates to the tangible/actually touchable meaning of the word.

the first half of the first line of the rewrite does elude to a play on words with the answer to the rest of this line and/or the answer to the second line of this couplet (I think the second line is a little less tricky than the second half of the first line of the rewrite).

EDIT: adding the rewrite and the original couplet (with edit).

Left to his own devices, he "devices" on his own.

Edited by plainglazed

Everything's starting to seem like an incomprehensible jumble as I steadily get more and more confused... =/

I wish I could get criticism to fit the second line.

Perjury/purgatory popped into my head. Maybe purge? The tangible part being a purge like a pogrom, killing people to purify the race.

I'm really bad at trying to think of words with both tangible and intangible meanings.

Ach, I ain't got this. Just ate, blood's in my stomach, things to do, maybe think on it later... but I think this is one that'll be solved by some1 else

are we still following the theme of four letter words

Tangible= 1) touch. 2) realized by the mind. 3) actual value

you're right, someone asked if that was the theme and I said not the theme but yes, except that the third word could be or not (deal(s)) so yes, this this word has four letters. The second line of the second couplet refers to the tangible ( = 1) touch.) meaning of this four letter word. Can I suggest you look at "would surely escape if you could" in ways other than the familiarly implied/expected use of the phrase but maybe more literally?

belt....as in singing, and getting "the belt"...yeah

I need to come up with something better than that!

A very clever answer. Was actually typing that it did not tie into escape before I figured out where you were coming from. OUCH. A great answer but it wont help with the next step in the riddle, I'm afraid. Cop out, I know.

hit..hits

Sorry, great but no, again.

FLEE ...hope that hasnt been guessed

Thanks for the advice PG..

Not guessed yet I dont think but still not it. Considering the homophone would certainly qualify for the tangible/touchable as hinted for the second line of the couplet. Another great miss. Urggh Sorry.

jail...bail...slip

Hey t_mo. Thanks for visiting my riddle and obviously taking the time to read thru it. No worries re your entry here. All are welcome. Your guesses are not what I'm looking for. I will say and thanks very much for this, they have given me the inspiration for the HINT I've been looking for.

the tangible/touchable form of the word as described in the second line of the second couplet does not involve a human escaping