BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Have you heard of those websites where you buy a toy at a store, then type in a special code to play on that site? well, they have plenty of promotional schemes up there sleve. I found one where you adopt virtual pets, and I came up with this puzzle:

for every virtual pet you adopt, they give you a few virtual items. among these items are special items that you can only get two ways:

Way 1: when you adopt a pet

way 2: collect special coins and trade

You get one of the special coins every time you adopt a pet. Now, there are 67 of these special items, however 20 of them are super special in two ways:

1:you only get them with your 10th,15th,20th,25th,ect. pets

2:you can't buy them with those special coins

Okay,so now the ones you can buy with those coins cost different amounts of coins. 5 of the items cost 15 coins, 19 of them cost 10 coins,

and all the remaining cost 25.

Now lets just say you get to chose what item you get with your pet, rather than it being random.

Lets suppose you were a kid on this site, and you now have all of the special items(you either got them with a pet or with coins). you have played your cards

to the best of your ability, spending the least amount of money you posibly could. The question is: how many of the super special items have you earned?

I hope I didn't forget a peice of important information and that this is not too easy, but not impossible to solve. I hope you like it!

6 answers to this question

The number of coins needed to get all the non-super special items is

5*15 + 19*10 + 23*25 = 840

Since you get a coin when you buy a pet, you have bought 840 pets!!!!

And to get the 20 super special items, you only need to buy 105 pets!

So you got all 20 super special items way back...

Ok, so what piece of information did I not understand?

The number of coins needed to get all the non-super special items is

5*15 + 19*10 + 23*25 = 840

Since you get a coin when you buy a pet, you have bought 840 pets!!!!

And to get the 20 super special items, you only need to buy 105 pets!

So you got all 20 super special items way back...

Ok, so what piece of information did I not understand?

You forgot that there are two ways to get a special item.

You forgot that there are two ways to get a special item.

Aha!

Now, I get it.

So here goes..

Lets call the 5 items costing 15 coins each A, 23 items costing 12 coins each B and 19 items costing 10 coins each C

The, you dobt want to buy A & B with the coins. Get them with purchases of pets

You buy only C with the coins

So you get the 5 As and the 23 Bs with each purchase of pet; Buy 2 more pets and 2 Cs. You now have 30 coins so buy 3 more Cs

Now, you have bought 30 pets and got 33 items. You are left with 14 Cs

Buy 13 pets and trade 10 coins for 1 C.

So in all you bought 43 pets and have 3 spare coins.

You have got yourself 8 super special items.

If you are really crazy about the super special items, buy 2 more pets and get another super special item.

Edited by DeeGee

Okay, so new question. The pets at your local dealer cost $9.99. Your parents will only buy you one of the pets a month, and that's only if you do all your chores. all other pets you must buy yourself. You are just a kid, so you don't have a job or anything, just allowance. you also get $50 from your grand parents on your birthday, and you'll get a pet from one of your freinds, too. lets just say that tomorrow's your birthday, you have ten pets at the momment, and your alowance is $20 per month, which you have gotten for this month and have in your hand. If you spend all your money on pets, how many months will it take to have all the special(not super special)items?