Unless I am cast away

Results might be quite splendid

Or varying day by day

The prudent give me praise

The slovenly fools, rejection

For after several days

They only see imperfection

I'd have to go with Fortune Teller...

Hi everyone... It's been a while I guess!

Should I explain my answer or can everyone pretty much figure out how I got there?

Edited by John B

Julius Ceasar

He wouldn't work so well with line 2 or have a clear reference for the varying day by day line.

Dreams/Sandman?

Definitely matches the "bedecked in flowing robes," ha

Interesting. He could be drawing the curious globes shut at bedtime, and enlightening people because sleep is critical for learning. The way I phrased line 8, it's sort of ambiguous whether it's referring to the corrupt peers or to the riddler itself, so I could give you that one (though I'm not sure if he has peers). Dreams would fit lines 11-12. The last stanza could refer to the foolishness of pulling all-nighters. I just can't think of a great way to make lines 5-6 and 9-10 fit with that one.

I'd have to go with Fortune Teller...

Hi everyone... It's been a while I guess!

Should I explain my answer or can everyone pretty much figure out how I got there?

Welcome back, John B. DarthNoob had a similar guess; I'd argue that the role of the fools and the prudent in the last stanza would be inverted for those folks.

This one has had some alternate answers that fit reasonably well (which I usually consider to be a flaw); hopefully the intended answer will be totally satisfying and give that "oh yeah, that's gotta be it" feel. It's been up for a few days so it might be time for a hint, or at least a rundown of the clues:

- has "robes"

- draws "curious globes"

- does some "enlightening"

- protects, while something similar distorts perception

- long-winded only if you cast it away, with variable results depending on the day

- slovenly folks only see imperfections after many days

This one has had some alternate answers that fit reasonably well (which I usually consider to be a flaw); hopefully the intended answer will be totally satisfying and give that "oh yeah, that's gotta be it" feel. It's been up for a few days so it might be time for a hint, or at least a rundown of the clues:

- has "robes"

- draws "curious globes"

- does some "enlightening"

- protects, while something similar distorts perception

- long-winded only if you cast it away, with variable results depending on the day

- slovenly folks only see imperfections after many days

windows or window panes

I think the only thing I'd consider a 'stretch' for my answer would be the 'curious globes'. My reasoning for each of the conditions is as follows:

has robes - curtains

draws 'curious globe' - [probably weak reasoning] raindrops or condensation that will bead up and then run down the window

"enlightening" - somewhat literal in that a window allows the natural light in

protects - acts the same as a wall in protecting the indoors from the outdoor weather

similar distorts perception - older glass panes would 'flow' over time. This had similar effect of a carnival mirror in that it would distort the view through the window

long-winded only if cast away - if 'cast away' is the same as 'open', then another almost literal interpretation. An open window allows the wind in. It would vary day to day depending on the weather.

slovenly folks only see imperfections after many days - slovenly folks wouldn't clean their windows, and a dirty window would have imperfections

I think this fits pretty good but I'm not convinced that the "curious globes" interpretation fits as well as it should.

windows or window panes

I think the only thing I'd consider a 'stretch' for my answer would be the 'curious globes'. My reasoning for each of the conditions is as follows:

has robes - curtains

draws 'curious globe' - [probably weak reasoning] raindrops or condensation that will bead up and then run down the window

"enlightening" - somewhat literal in that a window allows the natural light in

protects - acts the same as a wall in protecting the indoors from the outdoor weather

similar distorts perception - older glass panes would 'flow' over time. This had similar effect of a carnival mirror in that it would distort the view through the window

long-winded only if cast away - if 'cast away' is the same as 'open', then another almost literal interpretation. An open window allows the wind in. It would vary day to day depending on the weather.

slovenly folks only see imperfections after many days - slovenly folks wouldn't clean their windows, and a dirty window would have imperfections

I think this fits pretty good but I'm not convinced that the "curious globes" interpretation fits as well as it should.

DudleyDude has this one. It was a little unusual in that many of the clues that seem like they would have a figurative interpretation are actually rather literal.

The curious globes are just eyes looking to see what's outside. The corrupt peers could also include tinted windows, stained glass, and lenses, as well as warped glass. And the last line's key was the word "only" -- well maintained glass can otherwise go completely unnoticed, as evidenced by birds flying into it.

The entire second verse could refer to one of the stories in which Dream protects a depressed man from Dream's peers (his siblings Despair and Desire) by giving him dreams of being the president.

Dream is not a long winded person, either, however, line 10 kills this answer. (quite a bit of it was a stretch anyway)

Ach! Just saw DD's answer. Shoulda got it... gr. GJ to DD.

Though, I've got to say... lines 13 and 14 seem like a stretch to me.

I've never seen anybody, foolish or wise, either endorse or refute the value of windows, for whatever reason.

Besides that though... fun riddle =)