Unless I am cast away

Results might be quite splendid

Or varying day by day

The prudent give me praise

The slovenly fools, rejection

For after several days

They only see imperfection

Congress, or maybe government

How well that answer fits the riddle would depend on how you view yours, I suppose. But even for those who view it in the most favorable light, I would say it doesn't fit the part about not being long-winded.

Hey Plasmid.

The bargain/damages section at a supermarket. Are you the packaging?

That would fit most of the riddle well, except for the part about not being long winded unless it's cast away.

hey plasmid, was so excited to see another got inspired, hope you dont mind me snitching your format.

a kite?

This one could make sense with the long-winded clue but wouldn't provide much protection.

And I quite like the idea of others writing such riddles; after all, I got started only after I was amazed at what Shakeepuddn had done.

A pirate ship?

I like the "curious globes" that it would be alluding to, and the alternate meaning for "enlightening"! The last stanza would seem odd, though; I would expect the prudent to reject it while the fools do not.

Hey plasmid.

Acolyte?

They're folks I'm not familiar with. I suppose they help in the protection of your soul, but I don't see how the third stanza might be interpreted with them.

weather baloon?

I could see the last stanza as a critique of the weatherman who predicts a 10% chance of rain when you see the showers outside :rolleyes: , but I'm not sure who the corrupt peers would be.

a king or queen or some other form of royalty

This could fit much of the riddle, but they aren't typically known for doing very much enlightening of others.

the American flag? Or any other flag?

Not what I had in mind but it is a pretty good one. A lot of these governmental-type answers depend on how favorably you view your government (is it the fools or the wise who praise or reject it?), but this one would fit the clue about being long-winded when it's cast away. I'm debating whether to call this an alternate solution; the "enlightening" part would be the biggest stretch - flags may be found at schools but I won't give them credit for teaching the classes.

There's still an answer for the cynical people out there.

composer or orchestration, but that's mostly from the 2nd verse. I don't think I could say with authority that it fits well enough to be your answer!

^_^

Occasionally I'll hear an answer that seems to work as well as the one I had in mind and will accept it as an alternate solution, like the chili burrito to "I'm not a terrorist" or fishing pole for "I'm not a crazy army commander". Considering each answer and seeing how well it would fit gives me some training on how to write a riddle that wouldn't have too many possible solutions, but also wouldn't be too obvious. In this case, that wouldn't quite fit the part about not being long winded unless it's cast away.

A SHAMAN? Or maybe a WITCH of some sort?

A shaman would fit, but I would call it too close to being a scholar by another name in another culture. A witch (or variety thereof, maybe allowing for the Good Witch of the East who might provide protection) wouldn't have an obvious way of fitting the third stanza.

Scarecrow?

I'm not sure who the corrupt peers might be with that one, or if it would fit the long-winded clue.

Not what I had in mind but it is a pretty good one. A lot of these governmental-type answers depend on how favorably you view your government (is it the fools or the wise who praise or reject it?), but this one would fit the clue about being long-winded when it's cast away. I'm debating whether to call this an alternate solution; the "enlightening" part would be the biggest stretch - flags may be found at schools but I won't give them credit for teaching the classes.

There's still an answer for the cynical people out there.

I was paying more attention to the patron in that line, which for some reason started off the star spangled banner in my head.

church?

I was paying more attention to the patron in that line, which for some reason started off the star spangled banner in my head.

church?

This one (like many others) would struggle to fit the clue about not being long winded unless it's cast away.

the army?

They wouldn't have flowing robes, unless maybe they're ancient Greeks or Romans or something.

thinking of Leonardo DaVinci

I would definitely count him as a scholar; it would break the title's rule.

Being laconic/keeping your mouth shut/brevity?

* "Attracts curious globes" because people who are silent are mysterious

* Protection - you won't say something stupid

* Sound distortion

* Not long winded (unless cast away)

* Fools don't know how to listen, instead they jabber

2nd guess: a jester from one of Shakespeare's plays? They tend to be smart and have good advice, but maybe when rejected from service he goes insane and mumbling.

3rd: predicting the future by reading entrails?

Ugh.

Is this one of those double answers, two meanings spelled alike, or two words that sound alike?

Band/band aid?

Bandage/adage???

Edited by DarthNoob

a KARATE INSTRUCTOR

Went looking for a warrior with flowing robes, huh? The last stanza would be odd; the slovenly fools wouldn't be more able to find imperfections than the prudent.

Being laconic/keeping your mouth shut/brevity?

* "Attracts curious globes" because people who are silent are mysterious

* Protection - you won't say something stupid

* Sound distortion

* Not long winded (unless cast away)

* Fools don't know how to listen, instead they jabber

2nd guess: a jester from one of Shakespeare's plays? They tend to be smart and have good advice, but maybe when rejected from service he goes insane and mumbling.

3rd: predicting the future by reading entrails?

Ugh.

Is this one of those double answers, two meanings spelled alike, or two words that sound alike?

Band/band aid?

Bandage/adage???

Good point, I never said what the "rules" of the riddle are. The answers to my riddles are a single concrete object or animal or possibly famous person which virtually everyone ought to be familiar with (except for one riddle where I stated otherwise). Brevity would be a great answer if abstract concepts are allowed. I'm not sure how I would feel about a Shakespearean jester as an answer; it isn't what I had in mind, but if there's a particular one you're thinking of I could look at Wikipedia and see how well he'd fit the riddle. As for the third; they or anyone along those lines wouldn't fit the final stanza. As for "Ugh", yeah, this one turned out to be trickier than I anticipated. I suspect this is one that just kind of has to click right off the bat. Maybe the work/school crowd will give a fresh perspective tomorrow; too bad I won't get a chance to check in during the day.

Harry Potter?

It could fit a lot of the riddle, although he's the one getting the enlightening rather than dishing it out.

Hey plasmid.

Burqa?

Hey Wilson. I'm sure that many would argue against that one having any relationship to the word "enlighten".