Strike one, then two, then three a round

'Twould make an impressive procession

And all this effort's for the mate

I'll find when the journey is done

We don't intend to procreate

But two is far stronger than one

9 answers to this question

geese or deer

Not them; if the third stanza could actually be spoken by those critters, then hunting them would be much less common.

NOT baseball or bowling!

:lol::P

Neither of those two and not a bomber. Three down, ~499,997 words in the English language left to go...

Well hello there, Plasmid. So good to see you and here with a new gem. Kind of remember you were last on the move? All settled in? Um, back on topic...

lumberjacking?

Started my new job a few weeks ago, which has been making my visits to BrainDen few and far between lately. Interesting answer, it could fit with most of the riddle, but I'm not sure what you might have in mind as the mate at the end in the last stanza.

Dominoes?

Wow, that makes for an interesting interpretation since those could be used in either the classical way as a game or in the setting-up-and-knocking-over sort of pasttime. The classical game would fit really well with the last stanza as far as scoring, but wouldn't make as much sense with the middle two. The chain reaction would fit well with the middle two stanzas, but the dozen in the first line would be an awfully small number, and the last stanza would be difficult to interpret: if the mates are the two halves of the unit, then they would be together the entire time instead of found when the journey is done; if the mates are the starter's finger and the end of the chain reaction, then the last two lines wouldn't really make sense.

a mafia game

I've never actually played one of those, but have seen how the rules are typically structured. It fits quite well with most of the riddle, but I've never seen one where the bit about finding the mate at the end of the journey would apply, and the flying high and swooping down line would be a strange description of it.

Hey Plasmid.

Draughts?

You've nailed this one, Wilson

Alternatively known as checkers by us Americans, the part about "scorched and shadowed paths" is referring to the fact that checkers are only on dark squares, and the mate at the end is of course the crown when kinged.