BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Babbling syllogism

Question

20 answers to this question

Shouldn't this be in math? It's logic, not words/situation (unless I'm missing something)

When I first read it, it seemed like it was obviously false. So that must mean there's a trick that makes it true. But upon continual rereads and a quick rephrasing... it still seems false.

The only thing we have connecting pabs to cogs are tigs, and we only know that some cogs are tigs. The other cogs could be grumpy xenophobic creatures that hold no relationship or similarity to pabs whatsoever.

Maybe you made a typo? Or am I missing something big?

since you can construct a valid venn diagram in which cogs and pabs are different, the statement that cogs are definitely pabs is false. It is the case that they could be since cogs and pabs are interchangeable in the premises, but not required.

since you can construct a valid venn diagram in which cogs and pabs are different, the statement that cogs are definitely pabs is false. It is the case that they could be since cogs and pabs are interchangeable in the premises, but not required.

I agree that it is false however cogs and pabs are not interchangeable as we have no relationship between cogs and bons. They might not have anything to do with each other and therefore cogs are entirely distinct from pabs.

I agree that it is false however cogs and pabs are not interchangeable as we have no relationship between cogs and bons. They might not have anything to do with each other and therefore cogs are entirely distinct from pabs.

There is a relationship between cogs and bons: any cogs that are tigs are also bons.

I would suggest that they can be interchanged......

Some of both pabs and cogs are tigs

(1)"Some cogs are tigs."

(4)"Some pabs are tigs."

Also we know that...

(2)"All tigs are bons."

This means that by replacing tigs with bons

(x)"Some cogs are bons."

(x)"Some pabs are bons."

the remaining premise is then unnecessary

(3)"Some bons are pabs."

Therefore cogs and pabs share the same qualities and are interchangeable but not necessarily the same

I would suggest that they can be interchanged......

Some of both pabs and cogs are tigs

(1)"Some cogs are tigs."

(4)"Some pabs are tigs."

Also we know that...

(2)"All tigs are bons."

This means that by replacing tigs with bons

(x)"Some cogs are bons."

(x)"Some pabs are bons."

the remaining premise is then unnecessary

(3)"Some bons are pabs."

Therefore cogs and pabs share the same qualities and are interchangeable but not necessarily the same

Actually there is not enough information.

Cogs and Pabs may or may not interchangeable. The only way they would be interchangeable is IF some Cogs were Pabs. But from the way the question was asked it is quite possible that no Cogs were Pabs.

Actually there is not enough information.

Cogs and Pabs may or may not interchangeable. The only way they would be interchangeable is IF some Cogs were Pabs. But from the way the question was asked it is quite possible that no Cogs were Pabs.

But the question is are they "definitely" equal.

So I assume the answer is no.

bons are happy people, tigs are very happy people, cogs are people with blue eyes, and pabs can be tall people. None of the clues are thus contradicted, and we can see that the conclusion is not necessarily true (though it could be).

Some cogs are tigs.

All tigs are bons.

Some bons are pabs.

Some pabs are tigs.

Therefore, cogs are definitely pabs.

TRUE or FALSE?

FALSE, It's not always necessary that cogs are definitely pabs. I have shown this condition can become FALSE for below situation. It's an Venn Diagram

http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/nhsumra/?action=view&current=Solution.jpg

I have a problem with the wording of the puzzle. Taken literally the statement, "cogs are definitely pabs" is true.

"Cogs" is just the plural of "cog" so literally the statement is saying, "two or more cogs are definitely pabs".

But most people seems to have interpreted "cogs" to mean all of them which makes the statement at least unknown and at most false.
But were I to say, "Astronauts are definitely on the space station", few would assume I meant all astronauts.

Hi corthew, and welcome to the Den.

You're right that "all" is missing from rububa's puzzle.

And his use of "definitely" may have been misunderstood, as well.

It's just my opinion, but I take his use of "definitely" to mean "every cog must be a pab."

Or, "It is not possible that there exists a cog that is not also a pab."

Since nothing in the post prohibits a non-pab cog, the question has a definite answer of FALSE.

I hope you find the Den interesting, and that you will post some puzzles of your own.

Hi corthew, and welcome to the Den.

It's just my opinion, but I take his use of "definitely" to mean "every cog must be a pab."

Thanks for the welcome and the reply, but I think you may have missed the last line in my comment.

I took "definitely" to mean there were definitely cogs that were pabs.

Like saying "foxes are definitely in the hen-house"

When I first saw the puzzle I was leaning between not enough info and false until I realized "all" was not actually implied by the wording. It was only implied by prejudice. More a gut reaction than a reality.