BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Casting Shadows

plainglazed

Question

Splitting time between heaven and earth.

Valueable lessons of telling worth.

A long time ago they were unsurmounted.

Scored before penmanship even was counted.

Codified simply, five fingers, two hands.

The closer to beam, increasing demands.

Start once again with this knowing jab.

A custom to stick, not intending to stab.

The truth simply hidden, revealed in this frame.

Now tell me please, of this subject, its name.

• Answers 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

You could actually hold one of these in your hands.

I mean...I don't know if you know this or not, but the Man in the Moon and I are really close. He gave me a piece to hold in my hands... :lol:

Mountains

Edit: I know you can't hold it ALL in your hands, but still. Some.

Edited by MrsP

I mean...I don't know if you know this or not, but the Man in the Moon and I are really close. He gave me a piece to hold in my hands... :lol:

Mountains

Edit: I know you can't hold it ALL in your hands, but still. Some.

Honestly do not remember myself whether or not this has been guessed. Not it and you can honestly hold this in your hands in its entirty.

An abacus?

Splitting time between heaven and earth. -- top section referred to as heaven, bottom part earth

Valueable lessons of telling worth. -- often (even today in some places) used by merchants but worth could be more general math or just as in, how many.

A long time ago they were unsurmounted. -- best calculators for millennia.

Scored before penmanship even was counted. -- was in use centuries before written numerical systems

Codified simply, five fingers, two hands. top has one or two beads and bottom has four or five which together give a decimal system

The closer to beam, increasing demands. -- you move the beads towards the center beam to increase count.

Start once again with this knowing jab. -- to reset the abacus is struck or shook sideways unsticking and spinning the beads away from the center beam.

A custom to stick, not intending to stab. -- But admittedly, mainly used to contain the hidden (knowing) answer.

The truth simply hidden, revealed in this frame. -- also called a counting frame (obviously from its shape) and the truth being the answer as well as a hint to the hidden answer above.

Now tell me please, of this subject, its name. -- ABACUS

That's it. Kudos Deannaart. Well done!!! Sorry to all for the first line; thought it would be recognized with all the younger than me folks about. Guess you dont see any of those in school anymore.

DANG.

That actually occurred to me. I just didn't know enough about it to think it would fit!!!!!!!!!! Rawr. *starts smashing things around the house*

lol...

Really awesome riddle. Even if I didn't catch it meself, kudos to deannaart, and it was fun trying. Plus... I think it was really well constructed, style wise