BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

10 answers to this question

At the north pole, the sun always rises and sets in the south...at the south pole, the sun always rises and sets in the north...

You can actually argue that the sun rarely ever rises directly east. It only does that once or twice a year if you are in the tropics...otherwise, it always rises slightly north or south of east...

Also....

Passengers in a westward traveling "Concorde", at times see the sun rise from the "west". The Concorde westward speed being faster than the eastward speed.

At the north pole, the sun always rises and sets in the south...at the south pole, the sun always rises and sets in the north...

You can actually argue that the sun rarely ever rises directly east. It only does that once or twice a year if you are in the tropics...otherwise, it always rises slightly north or south of east...

you got the answer to the first question.

Also....
Passengers in a westward traveling "Concorde", at times see the sun rise from the "west". The Concorde westward speed being faster than the eastward speed.

I'm sorry, I couldn't follow that.

Is it posisble for the sun to rise any direction other than from the East? What time doesn't the sun rise to the East?

Polar Days, when the sun does not set for at least 24 hours, and is then one time due north, and one time due south.

Polar Days, when the sun does not set for at least 24 hours, and is then one time due north, and one time due south.

Welcome! Please use spolers. I'm betting you haven't read Important:read before posting at the top of the page.

which north pole you are talking about? Magnetic or Geographic? The concord answer appears more reasonable.

which north pole you are talking about? Magnetic or Geographic? The concord answer appears more reasonable.

well like I said, I didn't follow that concord one-but I'm pretty sure it would have to be geographic. that was actually the answer to the first guestion, but not the second.

Edited by txmom2

If you stand at the one of the poles then every direction is tecnically south(or north) thus the sun rises and sets to the south(or north).

"What time doesn't the sun rise to the East?"

Any time is is setting in the west is a time when it's not rising in the east. It depends upon your position on the planet.

Also if you are in space or on another planet the sun would not rise in the "east".

If you stand at the one of the poles then every direction is tecnically south(or north) thus the sun rises and sets to the south(or north).

"What time doesn't the sun rise to the East?"

Any time is is setting in the west is a time when it's not rising in the east. It depends upon your position on the planet.

Also if you are in space or on another planet the sun would not rise in the "east".

First-Yes

Second-your position has nothing to do with the time.