BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Pouring water IV.

Not sure if anyone thought of this but ever consider filling up 2, 9 liter bowls(18l) to the brim. Then grab 4, 4 liter bowls(16l) fill them you will have 1 liter left in either bowl add them together then dump the contents of one of the 4 liter bowls into the 9 liter with 2 lites already in it. 6 liters. :D

• 1 month later...

1. Fill the 9 liter bowl.

2. Pour 4 liters into 4 liter bowl (leaving 5 liters in the 9 liter bowl).

3. Empty the 4 liter bowl.

4. Pour 4 more liters into the 4 liter bowl (leaving 1 liter in the 9 liter bowl).

5. Empty the 4 liter bowl.

6. Pour the last liter from the 9 liter bowl into the 4 liter bowl (leaves 1 liter in the 4 liter bowl and 0 in the 9 liter bowl).

7. Fill the 9 liter bowl.

8. Pour 3 liters from the 9 liter bowl into the 4 liter bowl (this will fill the 4 liter bowl which has 3 liters empty space and leaves 6 liters in the 9 liter bowl).

9 You now have 4 liters in the 4 liter bowl and 6 liters in the 9 liter bowl. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got:

Assume: A=4 size bowl and B=9 size bowl

Resolve: Arrive at 6

Fill B, leave A empty

A=0, B=9

Pour 4 from B in to A

A=4, B=5

Dump A

A=0, B=5

Pour 4 from B in to A

A=4, B=1

Dump A

A=0, B=1

Pour 1 from B in to A

A=1, B=0

Fill B

A=1, B=9

Pour 3 from B in to A

A=4, B=6

...now can I drink?

just fill the 4 letre bowl and pour it into the 9 letre bowl then half fill the 4 letre bowl and pour that into the 9 letre bowl which will make 6....

• 1 month later...

Fill the 4L bowl only one liter at a time and pour into 9L bowl. Repeat until 6L is achieved. Is it me or is this not actually a brain teaser but rather a test on basic measuring skills?