Stick together what's the hitch

don't reply

Sense of humor, life's a stitch

oh so dry

Even as it can twitch

calm is nigh

Prevention might make you itch

what am I

that the answer is a man-made object. If that's not the case, then perhaps it's a burr?

That would fit well with "hitch" (as in "hitch a ride" when it attaches to your leg or arm), "stitch" (sharp pain familiar to anyone who's had to remove them) and if the prevention is heavy clothing such as wool, then that would explain the "itch" as well. And their method of clinging is very similar to the way in which velcro works (I think they were even the inspiration for velcro). But I can't quite explain the "twitch". Is this still on the right track?

that the answer is a man-made object. If that's not the case, then perhaps it's a burr?

That would fit well with "hitch" (as in "hitch a ride" when it attaches to your leg or arm), "stitch" (sharp pain familiar to anyone who's had to remove them) and if the prevention is heavy clothing such as wool, then that would explain the "itch" as well. And their method of clinging is very similar to the way in which velcro works (I think they were even the inspiration for velcro). But I can't quite explain the "twitch". Is this still on the right track?

the first assumption that the answer is a man made object is not necessarily correct. I had said that the device is a physical thing but the object/answer is the us created by the device. so still burr does not fit. really good but the stitch from my answer is closer to the stitch in the velcro thought and you're right about the twitch difficulty.

Edit: just realized

preclude the burr from being an object. guess I have to say the device is man made.

Edited by plainglazed

"Create us why"

us why

"Stick together"

uswhytogether

"Life's a stitch" should be the more common "Life's a lady" - subtract st, add b

uwhyogetherb

"calm is nigh" should be "calm is night" - add t

uwhyogetherbt

Plug that into Internet Anagram Server, and I get...

The Web Yoghurt

and yoghurt is sticky, so my guess is yoghurt

lol

lol

"Create us why"

us why

"Stick together"

uswhytogether

"Life's a stitch" should be the more common "Life's a lady" - subtract st, add b

uwhyogetherb

uwhyogetherbt

The Web Yoghurt

Truly Awesome :D

From your own devices which

create us why

don't reply

oh so dry

Even as it can twitch

calm is nigh

what am I

but possibly 'needle'?

it's manmade, can be used to sew things together (both hitch and stitch), can mean "to tease" (sense of humor), can twitch (the type of needle in a gauge) and cause calmness (the shots in the hospital full of the good stuff). After getting a shot, you'd cover it with a band-aid to prevent infection and that could cause itching.

lol

"Create us why"

us why

"Stick together"

uswhytogether

uwhyogetherb

uwhyogetherbt

The Web Yoghurt

Dooooob, what makes you think I might play with words? if ever I had such an inclination, you certainly have squelched it. how could I compete? brilliant!

but possibly 'needle'?

it's manmade, can be used to sew things together (both hitch and stitch), can mean "to tease" (sense of humor), can twitch (the type of needle in a gauge) and cause calmness (the shots in the hospital full of the good stuff). After getting a shot, you'd cover it with a band-aid to prevent infection and that could cause itching.

no, and I'm certain I did not say the answer is manmade.

create us why

don't reply

oh so dry

Even as it can twitch

calm is nigh

what am I

The more I read of this thread the more I wonder if it's not

a stick of gum? There are several varieties, and I think they fit each 'line' pretty well.

Question though..? Why hide the '...' at the beginning of every indented line? Just an even spacer, or some other particular reason?

The more I read of this thread the more I wonder if it's not

a stick of gum? There are several varieties, and I think they fit each 'line' pretty well.

Question though..? Why hide the '...' at the beginning of every indented line? Just an even spacer, or some other particular reason?

Good morning CV. Not what I have in mind but good answer. I hate that response because a riddle should not be a guessing game with lots of answers that fit. I think there is a best answer to this one tho.

Edit: Forgot to answer your question. Hiding the ... was just a way to indent the shorter lines to seperate the repeated rhyme and hopefully help the reading by "forcing" a longer pause.

Edited by plainglazed

create us why

don't reply

oh so dry

Even as it can twitch

calm is nigh

what am I

Okay..what I've gleaned so far in the nearly 100 posts to figure out this sticky situation...

#17- "Some wording has common meaning meant to throw you off. There should be enough there to reveal the answer."

#20- "you are right about the device being a physical thing vs the common idiom *left to your own devices* so you were not tricked."

"lotion/glue...I know. Stretching. Just trying. Maybe I will spark the right idea into someone else's brain.

this different direction is better. dont know why and not really relevent to the answer but in the right flavor. I hope that makes more sense than it misleads."

#23- "..sorry about the lacking punctuation. Would say you could put a comma at the end of each long (odd) line and a period at the end of each short indented line. So there are really just five lines. The very last line is not really a clue. Maybe then will read a little better."

#28- "decision to "read this quite literally" is a very good one."

#29- "Will say the device is a physical object"

#32- " honey?..." "no sorry, not either. my last response to you was regarding one of the qualities of the "closest" of your last three and my guess as to how that came to you from the riddle. always hesitant to say too much for fear that it might mislead. hope this is not the case."

#35- " Trying different definitions of some of the key words (nouns) like you did above and some others have, along with Tiger's literal approach may be helpful."

#38- "That guess (honey) just shares a quality that the answer does. Pollen is the same way but, ironically, a different quality of the answer I hoped to convey. So I think you're gettin some of the meaning of the answer, it just has nothing to do with honey or pollen."

#50- not a cigarette

#55- "the quality is not sweet. One of the two here (caramel, sugar) has the same quality as honey does to the answer."

#59- "Yeah, that's one of the qualities my answer has so that definition is known.so not like something you would throw to a dog, or to puncture, or a cane, or a manual transmision, or something protuding. probably not much help...." Re: Sticky, stick, stuck.

#65- "That's a quality of the answer but not the answer." Re: sticky, stick, stuck

#77- "the stick part is more literal. similar context of your guess that was SOOOO close (velcro)."

#70- no/no homophones

#86- "the first assumption that the answer is a man made object is not necessarily correct. I had said that the device is a physical thing but the object/answer is the us created by the device. so still burr does not fit. really good but the stitch from my answer is closer to the stitch in the velcro thought and you're right about the twitch difficulty."

"didnt really preclude the burr from being an object. guess I have to say the device is man made."

#93- "so the devices which make "us" are man-made but "us" are not necessarily man-made?"

#94- yep

Just to catch everyone up.. I at least needed everything in one place... :)

Okay..what I've gleaned so far in the nearly 100 posts to figure out this sticky situation...

Just to catch everyone up.. I at least needed everything in one place... :)

Wow CV thanks so much. Hope this helps everyone interested. It certainly helps me and gives me an opportunity to (hopefully) clarify a few things:

regarding #23, "the last line is not really a clue" refers only to the "what am I". (Had just prior described the riddle as five lines combining the long and short parts)

regarding #35 had parenthetically defined key words as nouns but there is at least one (in particular which is very key) that i was referring to in this post and that is not a noun. Was never very good at gramar.

Also, on several occasions "I said reading this riddle quite literally" was a good suggestion and attributed it to tiger_lilly111. Should have been intern121; thanks and sorry intern.

Thanks again, Chess_Vixen