BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Thanks to the inspiration from this game’s creator, woon, here’s the third edition of this word game. To get an idea about this game you can read about The Oddest Out - 1 and The Oddest Out - 2. I’d like to introduce a few new twists to the game for 'The Oddest Out - 3', so here goes:

Each round will start when I post 8 questions. They will be something like: “What is a word that ends with the letter ‘t’?”

Each player will then PM to me TWO answers to each question:

1. The first answer will be the same as Oddest Out 1 & 2 - the most common answer: try to pick the answer that you think will be the most commonly chosen answer by all the players. If you think ‘it’ will be the most common answer to the example question, that is what you send.

2. The second answer will be your Oddest Out answer: you try to pick an answer that nobody else will pick, BUT to score highest it must be the answer with the fewest total letters. Now in the example above, you’ve picked ‘it’ as your common answer, so now you may want to pick ‘at’. But if somebody else picks ‘at’ for their common answer, you score nothing (see scoring rules below). So you might want to choose a three letter word, such as ‘jot’.

Words must be real dictionary words (including Scrabble ® dictionaries). The decision of the host (me) is final. If I’m not satisfied that it is an English Language word that is in some commonly accepted dictionary, I’ll ask you to send me a new word.

Your score for the round will be the sum of the scores for your Common word and your Oddest Out word. (See scoring rules below). I will post the scores; and then comes the fun: the EDC (Elimination Decision Circle).

Players with the lowest 50% of scores (rounded down for odd numbers of players) will enter the EDC. They have the opportunity to change up to 3 of their Common answers *and* up to 3 of their Oddest Out answers. PM me your changes; then I’ll re-calculate the scores and those scores will be final. Those in the EDC have the chance to make a “surgical strike” that can undercut players in the top rankings. Those on the top of the list just have to sit and hope they remain safe.

In each round of this Max version only one player will be eliminated -- the one with the lowest score.

When the field is reduced to five players, I’ll start asking for each player to submit TWO common words and one Oddest Out word.

When the field is reduced to three players, each will submit THREE Common words and one Oddest Out word.

For the showdown between the two finalists, I’ll ask each player to submit FOUR Common words and TWO Oddest Out words for each question. This should provide enough variability that there won’t be much chance of tie scores.

No discussion of answers between players, and no posting about specific answers.

Note that in this version of TOO, after you’ve been eliminated, you do not continue to participate by submitting “trap” answers to be used in the final round. The traps are built into the game in every round.

Scoring rules:

For the Common words, the scoring is the same as in The Oddest Out 1 & 2: Your score is calculated as 100% * (number of players with your word / number of players with the most common word)

For the Oddest Out word the scoring is as follows:

---For all words that someone used as a Common word: 0%

---For the shortest words not used as a Common word: 100% but shared equally among all players who select this word. So in the example, if two players chose ’jot’ as their Oddest Out word, they each get 50% for it; if three players used ‘jot‘, each gets 33.3%, etc.

---For longer words not used as Common words your score is 100% * (Number of extra letters in the shortest word / Number of extra letters in your word). As above, if this word is used by more than one player, the score will be shared equally among each of them. By “extra” letters, I mean that each question will specify some letters ('t’ in the example above), so each letter you add is an “extra” letter. So if ‘jot’ was the shortest word and your word was ‘best’ (and nobody else used ‘best’) your score would be 100% * (2/3) or 66.7%.

OK, sign-up can begin. I’ll post the first round questions after about 48 to 72 hours of sign-up. I’ll accept first round PM’s for about 24 hours before posting results, during which time you can still sign up and join the game.

Host: seeksit

Players:

(add more numbers)

• Answers 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Sorry to see you go woon! :( I thought I was safe, that's why I didn't make any changes. Looks like it worked out.

Yeah! Good luck, CL and UD(just for formalities' sake, you know I don't really mean that. :P Do you really mean it UD? If you mean that, you are a real gentleman! :lol: )

Of course I mean it! :D

Obviously I would like to win.

I will have enjoyed taking part no matter what, and naturally if I don't win I'll know that you or Cherry Lane were lucky!! :P The good luck I wished you! :lol:

And here are the results for Round 5. It is crunch time!

1. Cherry Lane . . . . . 79.2%

2. GC. . . . . . . . . . 67.9%

------------------------------

3. underground_dan . . . 66.1%

Underground_dan, you are the lucky player who gets to shake up the standings in the EDC. In this round you may make up to nine changes to your 24 Common word choices and up to 3 changes to your Odd words.

Good luck with your choices. They easily have the potential to rearrange the standings. Anyone could still be eliminated. GC and Cherry Lane: keep your fingers crossed! And good luck to everyone.

Have not heard from Dan yet. I've sent him a reminder.

Here are some interesting statistics:

Combined average results for rounds 1 through 4:

1. underground_dan . . . 79.9%

2. Cherry Lane . . . . . 79.0%

3. GC. . . . . . . . . . 67.5%

Combined average results for the first 5 rounds, using the preliminary results for round 5

1. Cherry Lane . . . . . 79.1%

2. underground_dan . . . 77.2%

3. GC. . . . . . . . . . 67.6%

Number of rounds won:

1. underground_dan . . . 2

2. Cherry Lane . . . . . 1 (2 if you count the preliminary round 5 results)

3. GC. . . . . . . . . . 1

Clearly the remaining competitors are closely matched.

Don't know what has happened to underground_dan, but we must move on ...

So here the final results for Round 5:

The common word answers listed by question:

1. bomb (3-100); lamb and comb (2-66.7); dumb and tomb (1-33.3)

2. yes and eye (2-100); dye yen yeti year eyes (1-50)

3. trap (3-100); wrap (2-66.7); rape crap rapt grape (1-33.3)

4. boat (3-100); oar (2-66.7); oat oak coat goal (1-33.3)

5. band bend bond (3-100)

6. race face (3-100); aced pace place (1-33.3)

7. transfer (3-100); transport translate (2-66.7); transform transit (1-33.3)

8. fever, never (3-100); lever (2-66.7); sever (1-33.3)

And here are the odd answers for each question (trapped words shown in red):

1. jamb (100); crumb (66.7); tomb (0)

2. aye, wye (100); yeah (50)

3. frap (100); drape (50); crap (0)

4. boa (100); foal, hoar (50)

5. bund (100); bland, bound (50)

6. mace, dace (100); pace (0)

7. transom (2 - 50% each); transgenic (40)

8. soever (100); lever, sever (0)

By player (Odd word last):

underground_dan:

1. dumb 33.3, bomb 100, lamb 66.7, tomb 0

2. yes 100, yen 50, yeti 50, aye 100

3. rape 33.3, trap 100, wrap 66.7, crap 0

4. oat 33.3, oar 66.7, boat 100, boa 100

5. band 100, bend 100, bond 100, bund 100

6. race 100, aced 33.3, face 100, pace 0

7. transfer 100, transport 66.7, transform 33.3, transom 50

8. fever 100, never 100, sever 33.3, lever 0

GC:

1. comb 66.7, bomb 100, tomb 33.3, crumb 66.7

2. eye 100, year 50, eyes 50, yeah 50

3. crap 33.3, trap 100, rapt 33.3, drape 50

4. boat 100, coat 33.3, goal 33.3, foal 50

5. bend 100, band 100, bond 100, bland 50

6. face 100, race 100, pace 33.3, mace 100

7. transport 66.7, transfer 100, translate 66.7, transgenic 40

8. never 100, fever 100, lever 66.7, sever 0

Cherry Lane:

1. lamb 66.7, comb 66.7, bomb 100, jamb 100

2. eye 100, yes 100, dye 50, wye 100

3. wrap 66.7, trap 100, grape 33.3, frap 100

4. oak 33.3, oar 66.7, boat 100, hoar 50

5. band 100, bend 100, bond 100, bound 50

6. face 100, race 100, place 33.3, dace 100

7. transit 33.3, translate 66.7, transfer 100 transom 50

8. never 100, fever 100, lever 66.7, soever 100

And so the final results for Round 5 are as posted earlier; and undergrond_dan is unfortunately eliminated.

Notice that underground_dan had four Odd words that were trapped. That's what did him in.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the remaining two players,

here are the questions for The Oddest Out - 3, Round 6 -- the big final round.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In this round the Common words will not be scored because there is no possibility of anything but a tie. The Common words you submit will serve only as traps for the other player's Odd answers. In this round each player must submit FOUR DIFFERENT Common/Trap answers and TWO Odd answers.

And Here are your questions: What is ...

1. A word of 4 letters or more that contains "EVE"

2. A word of 4 letters or more that ends "AMP"

3. A word that begins with "P", ends with "E" and contains an "L"

4. A word that begins with "BLU"

5. A word that ends with "EAM"

6. A word that uses the letter "P" twice but not consecutively, i.e. not "PP"

7. A word of four letters or more that contains "RAD"

8. A two syllable word (5 letters or more) containing "FIRE"

PM the answers to me as soon as you can. And remember to include SIX different answers to each question: your guess at FOUR answers you want to use to trap your opponent and TWO Oddest Out answer (as short as possible without being trapped).

Good Luck GC and Cherry Lane!

Well, I've just heard from Dan -- he has a very legitimate "excuse" for being away from his computer for the last five or six days. So I've offered him a chance to answer the Final Round questions and play in the final round. I've asked GC and Cherry Lane for their approval of this change.

This will still be the final round. One of the three of you will win on this round.

Again, submit FOUR Common Answers and TWO Odd answers as per the instructions. But with three of you, the Common answers WILL COUNT in your scores also.

Another important note: This all has to be finished one week from today. I am leaving on an extended vacation next Wednesday. One way or another I'm going to declare a winner at 1200 GMT next Wednesday (USA east coast time: 8AM)

Sorry for any confusion this may be causing.

Sorry guys for holding all this up, will work on my answers today (Friday's at work, gotta love them) and have them in tonight after work!

Thanks for being understanding Seeksit and thanks GC and Cherry Lane for letting me join back in! I've been in hospital (starting last Thursday 23/Friday 24) and was thus offline and dying of bordem, nothing too serious but quick enough that I couldn't let you guys know to go on without me. But alas I get a second bite at the Cherry!

And here are the preliminary results for Round 6. I'm beginning to detect a pattern ;) . Results are very similar to Round 5. Cherry Lane continues to impress :thumbsup:

1. Cherry Lane . . . . . 81.4%

2. underground_dan . . . 68.4%

------------------------------

3. GC. . . . . . . . . . 66.8%

GC, this time you are the lucky player who gets to shake up the standings in the EDC. In this round you may make up to twelve changes to your 32 Common word choices and up to six changes to your Odd words.

Underground_dan and Cherry Lane, you just have to sit and bite your nails! I wish the best possible luck to everyone.

OK, GC - now is the time to continue your usual strategy and not make any changes! :P

Seeksit - I must be a bit bleary-eyed still this morning. Somehow I read the order as being dan-CL-GC, and wondered why you were complimenting me, especially with dan having a big lead! So I had to go back and reread. I was surprised by the result - I really though this was a tough one.

Oh ... while we're waiting ... with less than 36 hours before I declare the winner ...

Remember the very difficult question I inflicted on everyone in round 1: What is a word that contains the letters "L", "M", "N", and "O" in that order?

Well, here are some of the other similar questions that I (mercifully) abandoned.

I was going to include one of these in each round. What is ...

1. A word that contains "DE" twice.

2. A word that contains "D", "E", "F" and "G" in that order.

3. A word that contains "AR" twice.

4. A word that contains "A", "B", "C" and "D" in that order.

5. A word that contains "SE" twice.

6. A word that contains "R", "S", "T" and "U" in that order.

7. A word that contains "EN" twice.

8. A word that contains "B", "C", "D", "E" in that order.

Some example answers:

1. decide

2. defog

3. warfare

4. barbecued

5. sense

6. (Can't resist this) The TRUSTFUL UNDERSTUDY RESPECTFULLY RESTUFFED the couch as the SUPERSTUD and the "lady of the evening" left for the RESTAURANT. (I can't believe the censor-bot completely bleeped that "P" word: **********!)

7. sentence

8. absconded (note that it actually also answers question 4!)

There ... I got those questions off my chest ;-D

Oh ... while we're waiting ... with less than 36 hours before I declare the winner ...

Remember the very difficult question I inflicted on everyone in round 1: What is a word that contains the letters "L", "M", "N", and "O" in that order?

Well, here are some of the other similar questions that I (mercifully) abandoned.

Some example answers:

1. decide

2. defog

3. warfare

4. barbecued

5. sense

6. (Can't resist this) The TRUSTFUL UNDERSTUDY RESPECTFULLY RESTUFFED the couch as the SUPERSTUD and the "lady of the evening" left for the RESTAURANT. (I can't believe the censor-bot completely bleeped that "P" word: **********!)

7. sentence

8. absconded (note that it actually also answers question 4!)

There ... I got those questions off my chest ;-D

Those weren't nearly as bad as the first one

1. derided

2. defining

3. aardvark

Can't wait to see the winner!

You mean like this? (warning: gibberish to follow)

You are DELUDED if you think you are INDEFATIGABLE. See that YARDARM? ABRACADABRA! Now, SENSEI, that PRESTIGIOUS piece of cloth is ENLIVENED by a nice BROCADE.

OK, GC - now is the time to continue your usual strategy and not make any changes! :P

Seeksit - I must be a bit bleary-eyed still this morning. Somehow I read the order as being dan-CL-GC, and wondered why you were complimenting me, especially with dan having a big lead! So I had to go back and reread. I was surprised by the result - I really though this was a tough one.

Yeah! My usual strategy is to do nothing but I also usually abandon all hope and send in my answers, which is what I have done now. I know I should be hoping for a miracle, but as I have said I am not hoping for anything. Ah! The joy of not expecting anything. :lol:

Really, you tell such lies Mademoiselle CL!(Decidedly a result of Mafia) Nothing's tough for you in TOO, madame. :P

And here is the long-anticipated final result. I'll post all the details in a bit.

GC's changes in the Final Round EDC made quite a difference!

She dropped from 81.4% to 77.3%

... and ...

dropped! It went from 68.4% to 66.3%. Sorry you did not win, Dan. But it was really great to have you play The Oddest Out 3!

... but the biggest change of all was ...

... well, sorry GC, it dropped even more than the others.

:( It went from 66.8% to 61.2%.

But thanks for making the final round so exciting. And thanks ever so much for playing!

So the final result is in ...

The winner and *still* champion is:

CHERRY LANE!