BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Thanks to the inspiration from this game’s creator, woon, here’s the third edition of this word game. To get an idea about this game you can read about The Oddest Out - 1 and The Oddest Out - 2. I’d like to introduce a few new twists to the game for 'The Oddest Out - 3', so here goes:

Each round will start when I post 8 questions. They will be something like: “What is a word that ends with the letter ‘t’?”

Each player will then PM to me TWO answers to each question:

1. The first answer will be the same as Oddest Out 1 & 2 - the most common answer: try to pick the answer that you think will be the most commonly chosen answer by all the players. If you think ‘it’ will be the most common answer to the example question, that is what you send.

2. The second answer will be your Oddest Out answer: you try to pick an answer that nobody else will pick, BUT to score highest it must be the answer with the fewest total letters. Now in the example above, you’ve picked ‘it’ as your common answer, so now you may want to pick ‘at’. But if somebody else picks ‘at’ for their common answer, you score nothing (see scoring rules below). So you might want to choose a three letter word, such as ‘jot’.

Words must be real dictionary words (including Scrabble ® dictionaries). The decision of the host (me) is final. If I’m not satisfied that it is an English Language word that is in some commonly accepted dictionary, I’ll ask you to send me a new word.

Your score for the round will be the sum of the scores for your Common word and your Oddest Out word. (See scoring rules below). I will post the scores; and then comes the fun: the EDC (Elimination Decision Circle).

Players with the lowest 50% of scores (rounded down for odd numbers of players) will enter the EDC. They have the opportunity to change up to 3 of their Common answers *and* up to 3 of their Oddest Out answers. PM me your changes; then I’ll re-calculate the scores and those scores will be final. Those in the EDC have the chance to make a “surgical strike” that can undercut players in the top rankings. Those on the top of the list just have to sit and hope they remain safe.

In each round of this Max version only one player will be eliminated -- the one with the lowest score.

When the field is reduced to five players, I’ll start asking for each player to submit TWO common words and one Oddest Out word.

When the field is reduced to three players, each will submit THREE Common words and one Oddest Out word.

For the showdown between the two finalists, I’ll ask each player to submit FOUR Common words and TWO Oddest Out words for each question. This should provide enough variability that there won’t be much chance of tie scores.

No discussion of answers between players, and no posting about specific answers.

Note that in this version of TOO, after you’ve been eliminated, you do not continue to participate by submitting “trap” answers to be used in the final round. The traps are built into the game in every round.

Scoring rules:

For the Common words, the scoring is the same as in The Oddest Out 1 & 2: Your score is calculated as 100% * (number of players with your word / number of players with the most common word)

For the Oddest Out word the scoring is as follows:

---For all words that someone used as a Common word: 0%

---For the shortest words not used as a Common word: 100% but shared equally among all players who select this word. So in the example, if two players chose ’jot’ as their Oddest Out word, they each get 50% for it; if three players used ‘jot‘, each gets 33.3%, etc.

---For longer words not used as Common words your score is 100% * (Number of extra letters in the shortest word / Number of extra letters in your word). As above, if this word is used by more than one player, the score will be shared equally among each of them. By “extra” letters, I mean that each question will specify some letters ('t’ in the example above), so each letter you add is an “extra” letter. So if ‘jot’ was the shortest word and your word was ‘best’ (and nobody else used ‘best’) your score would be 100% * (2/3) or 66.7%.

OK, sign-up can begin. I’ll post the first round questions after about 48 to 72 hours of sign-up. I’ll accept first round PM’s for about 24 hours before posting results, during which time you can still sign up and join the game.

Host: seeksit

Players:

(add more numbers)

• Answers 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Missed out on OO-2(Bad boy, woon! :P ). Not going to miss out on this one.

Players:

1. No1slight

2. GMaster479

3. Giga

4. Abhisk a.k.a. AD

5. underground_dan

6. andromeda

7. GC

8. woon

add more numbers...

Let's see who is real bad! :P

Players:

1. No1slight

2. GMaster479

3. Giga

4. Abhisk a.k.a. AD

5. underground_dan

6. andromeda

7. GC

8. woon

9. Cherry Lane

add more numbers...

Did you think you could have one of these without me?

I'm very curious to see how our creator does at his own game!

Players:

1. No1slight

2. GMaster479

3. Giga

4. Abhisk a.k.a. AD

5. underground_dan

6. andromeda

7. GC

8. woon

9. Cherry Lane

10. Riranor

add more numbers...

this sounds fun!

Ok, Welcome to The Oddest Out - 3, Round 1

Here is the roster of players: Remember that you can still join up until I post the first results from this round.

Host: seeksit

Players:

1. No1slight

2. GMaster479

3. Giga

4. Abhisk a.k.a. AD

5. underground_dan

6. andromeda

7. GC

8. woon

9. Cherry Lane

10. Riranor

And Here are your questions: What is ...

1. A word with 4 letters or more that ends with "LF"

2. A word that begins and ends with the letter "B"

3. A word that begins with "R" and ends with "E" and contains the letter "A"

4. A word that ends with "POLE"

5. A word that contains a double "D", that is "DD"

6. A word with 5 letters or more that begins with "GREE"

7. A word with 4 letters or more that ends (appropriately) with "END"

8. A word that contains the letters "L", "M", "N", and "O" in that order

PM the answers to me in the next 24 hours. And remember to include TWO different sets of answers to each question: your guess at the most Common answer and your Oddest Out answer (as short as possible).

Good Luck to everyone!

Well, I knew the last one would tickle your brain cells. :lol: Trust me, there are actually a lot of fairly well-known words that work.

I want to clarify for Question 4: 5 letters or more. In other words, the word pole itself is not allowed. Sorry for the mistake.

Edit to add: Also, No proper names, nothing that is Capitalized, just like in Scrabble ®

Edited by seeksit

Still waiting to hear from several people.

I may just leave this open over the weekend if I don't hear from everybody in the next several hours. I'm going to be away (hiking the Appalachian Trail) Saturday and Sunday (Eastern Time in the USA).

Still waiting to hear from several people.

I may just leave this open over the weekend if I don't hear from everybody in the next several hours. I'm going to be away (hiking the Appalachian Trail) Saturday and Sunday (Eastern Time in the USA).

Sorry I totally forgot :blush: it would be great if you'd extend this over the weekend cause that way more people could join, and I would have enough time to carefully study this :D

Have fun! :)

OK, I'm officially extending Round 1 through the weekend. Not sure when I'll be back in here, but about 48 hours from now.

I wish I could help those of you struggling with no. 8 ...

... well, let me give a (sort of) hint, "prime the pump" so to speak

Think MULTIDIMENSIONALLY :lol:

(that word or anything derived from it is now officially off limits)