BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Familiar Fun

plainglazed

Question

Per chicory's request, honest, and feel obliged since (s)he solved my last WAI (you really should at least set the gender on your profile cuz it's he and chic from here on out). Think I made these a little tougher but the first two may reveal a theme, simplifying the rest somewhat. Enjoy...

Stinky, sleeping, and sheltered sounds. (6)

Existing liscense sporting injury safehouse rightly belittled. (6)

Rate posting outlines airline disclaimer prior to surgical requirement. (8)

Tiny leftward circuit shortened route nano seconds is one reason. (8)

Good male, small male, stuck in Michigan area code ward. (7)

Mass retreat of daytime soldier sounding without limits. (6)

Reflection: "Short pathway between mythical 12th and 13th tells the meaning of blindness." (9)

One lines up to say love is more questionable. (8)

For those new to these Play on Word "Quickies" - Each word or two (generally speaking) of the puzzle corresponds to a letter or two (generally speaking) "spelling" out the answer. Other descriptors can be thrown in refering to the relation of individual letters. The letters will "read" left to right as presented unless there is a descriptor that directs otherwise. For the most part, punctuation is not part of the answer but rather to make the clue read better. Other than that, the clues are very precise. There are no unnecessary words in the clues or extra letters in the answers. It's best to read these very literally. The numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of letters in the answer.

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

OK, I think I've got #3 figured out But I'm not sure all my reasonings are correct. It just seems to fit for me, and fit in with the overall theme... So here goes, (Don't laugh! I told you I can NOT do these types of riddles)
Rate posting outlines=MERGING ECONOMICS = ME

Airline= TA

Disclaimer = PUBLIC HEALTH WARNING= PH

Surgical requirement= OPERATING ROOM = OR

ANSWER:METAPHOR

Hey, good start and finish as you have the right answer. Just a few things to tune up. You got what I thought was the most obscure clue. Here's a hint

The first six letters are derived from just two clues and a director so each of those clues points to three letters which I rarely do; thus the hint.

Hey, good start and finish as you have the right answer. Just a few things to tune up. You got what I thought was the most obscure clue. Here's a hint

The first six letters are derived from just two clues and a director so each of those clues points to three letters which I rarely do; thus the hint.

[spoiler='ok so this is what i've got for the 3rd,4th,5th letters

']airline disclaimer=

AIRPLANE HIJACKED? = APH?

But this is probably wrong since I don't fully understand the hint.

2 clues mean just 2 words? And, what is a director?

Edited by deannaart

[spoiler='ok so this is what i've got for the 3rd,4th,5th letters

']airline disclaimer=

AIRPLANE HIJACKED? = APH?

But this is probably wrong since I don't fully understand the hint.

2 clues mean just 2 words? And, what is a director?

sorry, no. they are two abbreviations yes but very familiar ones I think all will immediately recognize.

Directors for my Quickie POWs are words that suggest what to do with the letters derived from the rest of the clues. Here are some examples:

- words like aloud, heard said, spoken, etc may direct that the clues answer sounds like the letters in the answer. ex: any = NE

- words like reflected, mirrored, going back, etc. may direct the clues answer to be reversed. ex: morning flipped = MA

- words like confused, crazy, erupted, shaken may define an anagram

- words like tiny, small, petite, truncated, etc may direct the clues answer needs to be or is an abbreviation.

- words like carved, split, interupted, etc. may suggest the clues answer is within another clues answer

- words like surrounds, covers, hides, about etc. may suggest the clues answer is around another clues answer. ex: morning surrounding sight = A I M

- words like left/right, odd, even, before, after, alternate, first, end (sometimes but) etc could be directors...

and am sure there are others I'm forgetting but you get the idea?

Edited by plainglazed

Thanx bunches for the explanation PG. It does help a bit now. I came up with the same solution, but different ways of solving it. Probably still wrong since I am absolutely HORRID at these, but here goes......

RATE = METABOLIC =(MET)

POSTING OUTLINES AIRPLANE DISCLAIMER =Disclaimer = HOT = H , Airplane = PLANE = P, GRADE POSTED = A ,[HPA] outlined = (APH)

Surgical Requirement = OPERATING ROOM = (OR)

ANSWER ::: METAPHOR

Again, this is probably all wrong, but I really am giving it my very best. Please don't think I'm stupid or anything, I just overanalyze things to death, and try as I might, these puzzles just don't make ant sense to me. It' also funny that you said I got the most obscure answer, while the others are pretty obvious. I think that one was super easy, it's the"obvious" ones I'm struggling at.

Edited by deannaart

Thanx bunches for the explanation PG. It does help a bit now. I came up with the same solution, but different ways of solving it. Probably still wrong since I am absolutely HORRID at these, but here goes......

RATE = METABOLIC =(MET)

POSTING OUTLINES AIRPLANE DISCLAIMER =Disclaimer = HOT = H , Airplane = PLANE = P, GRADE POSTED = A ,[HPA] outlined = (APH)

Surgical Requirement = OPERATING ROOM = (OR)

ANSWER ::: METAPHOR

Again, this is probably all wrong, but I really am giving it my very best. Please don't think I'm stupid or anything, I just overanalyze things to death, and try as I might, these puzzles just don't make ant sense to me. It' also funny that you said I got the most obscure answer, while the others are pretty obvious. I think that one was super easy, it's the"obvious" ones I'm struggling at.

You have the "director" correct, or at least which word it is. Break down the two clues on either side of that word. One is meant to be a little punny

Thanks so much for keeping at it and resurrecting.

Rate posting = MPH

airline disclaimer = ETA (a discliamer because it is an estimated time of arrival)

*outlines* = METAPH put this *prior to*

surgical requirement = OR

METAPHOR

Thanks deanaart.

Hey, no problem, just wish I could have figured it out for myself. I worked for almost an entire day on this one.... Stupid too, cause I came up with that answer, but thought it was wrong, cause I thought the answers read from left to right,and the director only worked on one clue. I didn't realize the director was tying the 2 clues together. These things get me all screwed up.

Edited by deannaart

Existing =R

license = ID

sporting injury safehouse = DL

"rightly belittled" the right of the word BE or E that makes it "littled"

or

Sporting injury = DL

and "safehouse rightly belittled" would be instructions to take smallest piece on the right side of the word "safehouse"

either way we know it is RIDDLE

Thanks to chicory.

WORD PLAY

Tiny = Wee :: leftward = W

or is "tiny leftward" instructions take the smallest piece from the left side of WARD = W

Circuit = O

route = road :: shortened = RD

nano ~ pico = P

seconds is???L

one = A

reason = Y

With help from chicory.

[spoiler='Reflection: "Short pathway between mythical 12th and 13th tells the meaning of blindness." (9)

No. 7 thoughts

']Short pathway = St, Path, Way

between

mythical 12th and 13th = IDES June

tells the

meaning of blindness. = Cannot see = NOC

Reflection:= Read all backwards.

CON??????

Good - This could be A or B as is school grades or it could be AA or AAA as in good grades of food

male - M, MAN, GUY

small - S, SM, WEE, TOT, with second male could be BOY

stuck in - sounds like a director word like put the previous letters in the next part

Michigan - could be MI; area - A

or Michigan area could be - UP for upper peninsula

code - sounds like another director word possibly meaning anagram.

ward - see - C or possibly just to be used with code.

Rate posting = MPH

airline disclaimer = ETA (a discliamer because it is an estimated time of arrival)

*outlines* = METAPH put this *prior to*

surgical requirement = OR

METAPHOR

Thanks deanaart.

Right on. Good word Deanna and Huge. Sorry have been out of pocket. Actually on the road these last seven hours. Will try to catch up here real quick like.

Existing =R

license = ID

sporting injury safehouse = DL

"rightly belittled" the right of the word BE or E that makes it "littled"

or

Sporting injury = DL

and "safehouse rightly belittled" would be instructions to take smallest piece on the right side of the word "safehouse"

either way we know it is RIDDLE

Thanks to chicory.

So close, should probably accept. Will do if this one goes much any further which I doubt after this post. Your first three explanations are dead on. For the last, both remaining words look like directors but only one is....

[spoiler='Reflection: "Short pathway between mythical 12th and 13th tells the meaning of blindness." (9)

No. 7 thoughts

']Short pathway = St, Path, Way

between

mythical 12th and 13th = IDES June

tells the

meaning of blindness. = Cannot see = NOC

Reflection:= Read all backwards.

CON??????

Wow, once again am surprised with the part you got. I figured it to be the harder. Your meaning of reflection is correct as is the first three letters of the answer. One of your methods of reasoning for short pathway is correct, you just need a "different one".

Good - This could be A or B as is school grades or it could be AA or AAA as in good grades of food

male - M, MAN, GUY

small - S, SM, WEE, TOT, with second male could be BOY

stuck in - sounds like a director word like put the previous letters in the next part

Michigan - could be MI; area - A

or Michigan area could be - UP for upper peninsula

code - sounds like another director word possibly meaning anagram.

ward - see - C or possibly just to be used with code.

It's been so long I nearly forgot where I was coming from with this one. You're gonna like it when you get it finished. I just did all over again. small male is correct as is another part which is key to this solution. Well done! Oops, didnt say which part but you'll have it shortly I'm sure. Also, good male when discovered, I guarantee, will be the definitive answer for that clue.

WORD PLAY

Tiny = Wee :: leftward = W

or is "tiny leftward" instructions take the smallest piece from the left side of WARD = W

Circuit = O

route = road :: shortened = RD

nano ~ pico = P

seconds is???L

one = A

reason = Y

With help from chicory.

Just some thoughts? Good ones all. Would say your nano seconds rationale could be better but accept the rest. My logic behind tiny leftward is a little different which may help you with another clue I had likened to this one in a previous post.

tiny is the director meaning abbreviated and leftward was meant to be West = W.

[spoiler='One lines up to say love is more questionable. (8)

No.8']One lines up to = CUE

to say love = L

more questionable. = LESS

CLUELESS ?

Sorry Wilson, not it. And have to say I think this one is the hardest. But it always seems my judgement regarding difficulty is way off.

Hey, PG, I've been going over all these for some time now, and seeing as my short term memory is shot, will you give us a quick recap of what's been done so far? (If that's not cheating in some way, that is) I don't want to compromise the integrity of your riddle, it would just be a great help to me figuring out how to untangle this whole mess. Thanx!!!

[spoiler='One lines up to say love is more

(8)

Another Try...']One = A

lines up = LL

to say = EG

love = O

is more = are = R

questionable. = why = Y

ALLEGORY?

OMG, my machine has been hacked, or at least my brain. Spot on Wilson! I still think that one's the hardest. You da man.

I want this word to be conundrum,

pathway= rd

between = director

mythical 12th= mu

13th = nu

meaning of blindness NO C , U NO C

mu was one of 12 mythical gold saints, but i can't justify nu

Edited by chicory