BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

9 answers to this question

I see what you want with the chess board, but i need help understanding the pattern on the top 4 rows of data. email me at ecky999@hotmail.com with that pattern (or how it is mathematically deduced) and i believe i can make it for as many columns as you want.

or if you want me to only supply you with a formula to fill in the "chess board", change Excel to use R1C1 reference (tools, options, general tab, check the R1C1 reference style) then use this formula on all squares throughout the chess board:

=IF(OR(R3C=RC2,R4C=RC2,R5C=RC2,R6C=RC2),ROW()-7,"")

this formula will use 4 data rows at the top and fill in the pattern that you have shown.

by the way, this doesn't seem much like a puzzle that belongs on this group.

Hi too to you guys,

I only remapped 4 data rows at the top to the chess board below. I don’t know for sure its pattern. Here’s my observations to 4 data rows at the top:

1). So many numbers have difference = 10,20, and or 30 diagonally and or vertically (am I correct using the word “difference”?).

Example

1 on row a column 1 diagonally has difference = 30 to 31 on row d column 4.

40 on row d column 1 diagonally has difference = 10 to 30 on row c column 2, and diagonally has difference = 20 to 20 on row b column 3.

30 on row c column 2 vertically has difference = 10 to 40 on row d column 2.

2). Also so many numbers in the same row also have difference = 4 to its next forty columns.

Example

15 on row b column 2 has difference = 4 to 11 on row b column 42.

33 on row d column 41 has difference = 4 to 37 on row d column 81.

But not all of the numbers have difference = 10, that’s why I don’t know how to calculate it. I think this could use increment of abscissa that not linear with the increment of ordinate, abscissa can be ordinate and vice versa to the next how many column, in parallelogram direction...???

Thx.

Edited by dini

if the pattern was more regular i might be inclined to "solve" this puzzle. you just took what looks to be a random set of numbers and then put all 1's on row 1, all 2's on row 2, etc. and then ask us to fill in the rest. the rest of what? the chess board? well that's easy just make row 1 all 1's row 2 all 2's etc. if your asking us to find some pattern in the random numbers i would have to decline. just do a random number generator. if you honestly believe there to be a pattern then it should be simple enough to program one in. in any case, this isn't the type of thing that belongs here.