BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers
Sign in to follow this  

Question

A man decides to go on a long jorney. From his house he goes exactly 90 miles south, then 90 miles west, then 90 miles north. He is now back at his house. How is this possible.

5 answers to this question

bonanova    76

... in the Northern hemisphere.

Start at the North Pole.

... in the Southern hemisphere.

1. Start 90 miles north of a latitude line that constitutes a 90-mile circumference circle. - i.e. 90 + 90/2pi miles north of the South Pole.

2. Start 90 miles north of a latitude line that constitutes a 90/2-mile circle. - i.e. 90 + 90/4pi miles north of the South Pole.

N. Start 90 miles north of a latitude line that constitutes a 90/N- mile circle. - i.e. 90 + 90/2Npi miles north of the South Pole.

Keep inching south approaching but never reaching a point 90 miles north of the South Pole.

his house is a mobile home, and someone moved it while he was travelling on his long journey...

... in the Northern hemisphere.

Start at the North Pole.

... in the Southern hemisphere.

1. Start 90 miles north of a latitude line that constitutes a 90-mile circumference circle. - i.e. 90 + 90/2pi miles north of the South Pole.

2. Start 90 miles north of a latitude line that constitutes a 90/2-mile circle. - i.e. 90 + 90/4pi miles north of the South Pole.

N. Start 90 miles north of a latitude line that constitutes a 90/N- mile circle. - i.e. 90 + 90/2Npi miles north of the South Pole.

Keep inching south approaching but never reaching a point 90 miles north of the South Pole.

That's sweet. It took a bit to wrap my head around it, but once it clicked I wished I'd thought of it. I look forward to reusing that explanation.