BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

1 answer to this question

Tell me if I'm missing something, but I really don't get the point of lateral thinking puzzles. They are open-ended and seem very pointless.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here is a site for them: http://www.rinkworks.com/brainfood/p/latreal1.shtml

Does anyone enjoy them or understand them?

Lateral thinking puzzles are for when Occam's Razor doesn't cut it. Usually, when you find a situation, the simplest explanation is the best, but sometimes you do have to think outside the box. That's what LTPs are designed to help you do. I have a book of them that I've read through, but I haven't really done any serious examination of them. I agree with their suggestion that (so long as you find the right group of people) they might be more interesting in a group setting with a sort of 20 Questions style "game." (Though, like I said, I've never tried it.)

However, I think that they could be useful because they train the imagination (if that's possible :wacko: ), in that they help you see solutions that aren't always obvious, so you can learn to look at situations from multiple perspectives (hence "Lateral"). :thumbsup: I think that some of the questions that you are sometimes asked to solve during a job interview can be considered "lateral thinking puzzles," so understanding how they work could have useful applications.