BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

plainglazed

Question

Have to spend a fair amount of the day driving so can check in only on occasion. Part of the beauty of these is there is only one real single answer per line so y'all play amongst yourselves. Feel free to share your work while I'm out of the Den.

Is around satisfactorily. (4)

To view half laughing, personally is living. (5)

Look with spectacles then French article exists. (6)

Vis-a-vis Mr. White, initially all coming back. (4)

Hesitate to mention a WASP regarding the additional one. (8)

Certain test simplified Bismarck's domain. (4)

Small business changed course simply per short term upward direction. (5)

For those new to these Play on Word "Quickies" - Each word or two (generally speaking) of the puzzle corresponds to a letter or two (generally speaking) "spelling" out the answer. Other descriptors can be thrown in refering to the relation of individual letters. The letters will "read" left to right as presented unless there is a descriptor that directs otherwise. For the most part, punctuation is not part of the answer but rather to make the clue read better. Other than that, the clues are very precise. There are no unnecessary words in the clues or extra letters in the answers. It's best to read these very literally. The numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of letters in the answer.

Edited by plainglazed

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Am pretty sure this particular mr White fits within the confines of common knowledge. Will say this, you have heard of one of his works and probably at least another.

vis a vis re: E.B. all coming back

BEER

EB White, charlottes web et al

Okay, not sure what you mean by that...just because I've hear of his 'works' but doesn't mean I've heard of him.

Oh-oh-oh! I think I've got an idea, but It'll take some Googling to prove. Back in a jif!

Okay, umm, never mind. I'll now have to search my memory instead of Google...

Have to spend a fair amount of the day driving so can check in only on occasion. Part of the beauty of these is there is only one real single answer per line so y'all play amongst yourselves. Feel free to share your work while I'm out of the Den.

Is around satisfactorily. (4)=book

To view half laughing, personally is living. (5)=chair

Look with spectacles then French article exists. (6)=cooler

Vis-a-vis Mr. White, initially all coming back. (4)=beer

Hesitate to mention a WASP regarding the additional one. (8)

Certain test simplified=d or c Bismarck's domain.=germany, WWI (4)

For those new to these Play on Word "Quickies" - Each word or two (generally speaking) of the puzzle corresponds to a letter or two (generally speaking) "spelling" out the answer. Other descriptors can be thrown in refering to the relation of individual letters. The letters will "read" left to right as presented unless there is a descriptor that directs otherwise. For the most part, punctuation is not part of the answer but rather to make the clue read better. Other than that, the clues are very precise. There are no unnecessary words in the clues or extra letters in the answers. It's best to read these very literally. The numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of letters in the answer.

I still think you're at a beach.

I still think you're at a beach.

Am understanding your logic for sixth word but not where I'm coming from.

You are right, I just got here.

Been on the road for five hours five beers ago. So you do indeed have the theme of my Quickies.

Might be of help with the last two words?

Edited by plainglazed

Certain test simplified

Wally test=WA

Bismarck's domain=DE

WADE

Dont know of that particular test and cant get the connection from Bismark's domain to DE. Maybe on the right track there (the second bit) but not sure without more info. Gonna have to insist you show your work from here on out. In any event, not the answer I had in mind.

could also be the sea, or ocean or atlantic (battleship)

Not that either, sorry chicory.

Would someone please tell an old man how to combine prior posts in a reply. Am such a luddite sometimes! Have seen it done but cant do without actually cutting and pasting and adding the code.

Not that either, sorry chicory.

Would someone please tell an old man how to combine prior posts in a reply. Am such a luddite sometimes! Have seen it done but cant do without actually cutting and pasting and adding the code.

I know that if you hit the quote button, you can then paste into your reply. Just found that out, just now.

Dont know of that particular test and cant get the connection from Bismark's domain to DE. Maybe on the right track there (the second bit) but not sure without more info. Gonna have to insist you show your work from here on out. In any event, not the answer I had in mind.

the test I'm thinking of is the SAT or ACT and simplified would be the explore test. where I'm from, we take TAKS, but I'm fairly certain that that's not the test you're refering to. Kind of stumped. as for Bismark's domain, still thinking world wars here.

Certain test simplified

Wally test=WA

I had never heard of them either but they post them on the Den a lot sort of like a bunch of questions with kind of jokey answers. I thought that Wally could be "simplified" into WA but I guess that is not right.

Bismarck's domain=DE

Bismark as in Otto Von Bismark his "domain" would be Germany or the .de domain for that country.

WADE

I know that the theme is the beach. The only other beach words that I can think of that end in DE are TIDE or DUDE and I can't make TI or DU work for the first part. :huh:

And for clarity, I think this is the last one remaining. Working on it, but so far stumped. :P

WTG Tiger lily! on the Bismarck clue....

small business = wee corp.,co.

changed course = source, turned

simply ez, SI,

per / part re

short term upward direction= North N

co source SIREN

co turned oc siren

simply ez, SI,

per / part re

co source SIREN

co turned oc siren

Small Business -> CO, CORP, INC, LLC

Change Course -> veer, VR?

Simply -> shorten or rearrange/directional clue?

per -> 1/I/A, each, EA, RE

Short Term -> quarter, session, Maymester, summer;

-> Shorter version of Term: ter, te, tem, tm, trm, tr

-> Shorter version of other words for "Term" ...

Upward Direction -> N, rearrangement/directional?

Edited by tiger_lily111

the test I'm thinking of is the SAT or ACT and simplified would be the explore test. where I'm from, we take TAKS, but I'm fairly certain that that's not the test you're refering to. Kind of stumped. as for Bismark's domain, still thinking world wars here.

Sorry to all for my absense. Lost internet service here at this rental house. But back to the puzzle. Am not thinking of a particular test but rather a certain type of test.

btw, I need a real vacation!! :lol:

Certain Test = SAT

Simplified -> SA

Bismarck's Domain = ND (North Dakota)

SAND

OK, you got the right answer.

A little off on the logic. The simplified refers to *Bismarck's domain* being abbreviated and certain test was essay or SA phonetically.

Good work, good answer again tiger_lily111.

WTG Tiger lily! on the Bismarck clue....

simply ez, SI,

per / part re

co source SIREN

co turned oc siren

gotta coupla good things agoin here chicory.

N = short term upward direction is right on as is one other little bit. Not siren tho.

Small Business -> CO, CORP, INC, LLC

Change Course -> veer, VR?

Simply -> shorten or rearrange/directional clue?

per -> 1/I/A, each, EA, RE

Short Term -> quarter, session, Maymester, summer;

-> Shorter version of Term: ter, te, tem, tm, trm, tr

-> Shorter version of other words for "Term" ...

Upward Direction -> N, rearrangement/directional?

you have it all above except for one little bit...

gotta coupla good things agoin here chicory.
N = short term upward direction is right on as is one other little bit. Not siren tho.

small company co

changed course oc

simply easily with ease ea

short term upward direction N

OCEAN