BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

6 answers to this question

The classic answer to this question is usually: 'a pound is still a pound', but I believe gold is still measured in troy ounces which is slightly heavier than avoirdupois ounces....

well, i tried a lot to think if you had outhought me ... but frankly, i cant get the trick if there's any ... :(

aren't both the same ... a pound?

But considering that you may have thought the pound to be pound sterling of UK (I mean, come on.. who is dumb enough to ask the first question), I would say that a pound of lead is heavier.

well, i tried a lot to think if you had outhought me ... but frankly, i cant get the trick if there's any ... :(

aren't both the same ... a pound?

But considering that you may have thought the pound to be pound sterling of UK (I mean, come on.. who is dumb enough to ask the first question), I would say that a pound of lead is heavier.

Actually if you had a coin made out of lead and one made from gold, and they were exactly the same size, the gold one would weigh more. Gold has a higher density than lead.(gold=19.3g/cm^3 Lead=11.34g/cm^3)

To continue with the thread...

Which is heavier, a pound of gold or a pound of lead?

A pound of lead has greater mass than a troy pound of gold, so if they're measured under the same gravitational pull, then the pound of lead will weigh more.

Welcome to the Den, TeeMo. I locked the same topic yesterday with a short comment (I am sure you can find it). This is an oldie. However, I encourage you to post new and original puzzles which have not been posted yet. A few useful tips to enjoy this forum can be found in the rules (see "Important: READ BEFORE POSTING" at the top).

Thread locked.