BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bushindo

Question

No credit to me whatsoever, James8421 brought my attention to this puzzle, which was made by sam loyd. I haven't solved this one yet, so ask James if you need hints.

post-14842-1243630660.png

Euler, the great mathematician, discovered a rule for solving all manner of maze puzzles, which, as all good puzzlists know, depends chiefly upon working backwards. The accompanying puzzle, however, was built purposely to defeat Euler's rule, and out of the many attempts is probably the only one that thwarts his method.

Start from the heart in the center. Go three steps in a straight line in any one of the eight directions, north, south, east, west, northeast, northwest, southeast, or southwest. When you have gone three steps in a straight line you will reach a square with a number on it, which indicates the second day's journey, as many steps as it tells, in a straight line in any one of the eight directions. From this new point, march on again according to the number indicated, and continue on in this manner until you come upon a square with a number which will carry you just one step beyond the border, thus solving the puzzle.

To post your solution, just list out the successive list of directions you need to take, using the 8 directions north, south, east, west, northeast, northwest, southeast, and southwest.

post-14842-1243630382.gif

7 answers to this question

Please ignore the fact that there are two images in the OP. I had two images of the same puzzles, and added 1 to the text of the post. I didn't realize that the other attachment would show up too until it is too late to edit.

Work on whichever puzzle image you like. They are both the same.

North-East 3 steps land on 3

North-East 3 steps land on 5

North-West 5 steps land one step north of border

(you do travel through a 'blank' square however)

Edited by A Puma

North-East 3 steps land on 3

North-East 3 steps land on 5

North-West 5 steps land one step north of border

(you do travel through a 'blank' square however)

?blank square?

yeah, but I think that's cheating... need to stay inside the grid (although most puzzles need you to think outside the box, this one does not :P ). The blank square is the one just northeast of the 7 & 4 at the top. Famous puzzle, famous answer, so I'll refrain from posting. But I finally remembered where I'd seen Prof. Templeton's avatar before...

If anyone knows the solution, feel free to post it. This has been up long enough for anyone who wanted to attempt it, could have.

Don't be scared to backtrack the way you came.

:thumbsup:

Also there is only one way out. ;)

I think you'll find a solution posted here. If you look at the second image posted in the OP you'll notice one of the numbers (a "1") has a square around it. This is because that number was changed in later versions to a "2" because when it is left as a "1" there are two solutions that work. Bonanova's post that I linked to above has the number in that spot changed to a "2".

I think you'll find a solution posted here. If you look at the second image posted in the OP you'll notice one of the numbers (a "1") has a square around it. This is because that number was changed in later versions to a "2" because when it is left as a "1" there are two solutions that work. Bonanova's post that I linked to above has the number in that spot changed to a "2".

You are correct sir. Thanks for showing where this was, I searched for quite a while and could'nt find it on here.

SW,SW,NE,NE,NE,SW,SW,SW,NWor(SE)