BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

S E V E N T Y

÷ S E V E N

-------------------

T E N

Only number not used is 5. Will tell how many times each number appears if necessary. Same letter doesn't mean same number.

Edited by hartleydogg33

10 answers to this question

S E V E N T Y

÷ S E V E N

-------------------

T E N

Only number not used is 5. Will tell how many times each number appears if necessary. Same letter doesn't mean same number.

Questions:

1. "Same letter doesn't mean same number."...so really, any of the letters can be any number (except 5)...right?

Basically if that's true, then the problem simply becomes, "find a 7-digit number, that when divided by a 5 digit number, yields a 3 digit number". Then there are plenty of solutions to this:

9000000 / 10000 = 900 for example...Not sure I understand your question...

Questions:

1. "Same letter doesn't mean same number."...so really, any of the letters can be any number (except 5)...right?

Basically if that's true, then the problem simply becomes, "find a 7-digit number, that when divided by a 5 digit number, yields a 3 digit number". Then there are plenty of solutions to this:

9000000 / 10000 = 900 for example...Not sure I understand your question...

that if one E=7 then another E wont equal 7. And every number besides 5 and zero is used. Hope that answers your question

Edited by hartleydogg33

You really need to be more clear, same letter "doesn't mean" same number or "can't be" same number?

And I assume different letters can be the same number since there are only 10 digits (0-9) and more letters than this. The rules here are too ambiguous and/or flexible.

While I know there isn't a truly "infinite" number of solutions, there is definitely more than one solution (and numerous at that).

I am assuming that same letter doesn't mean same number means that basically we are looking for a solution whereby a 7-digit number evenly divides by a 5-digit number, resulting in a 3-digit number. Provided that no digit = 5, and that all other digits are used at least once.

Here is one such solution (of many):

6970278 / 34678 = 201

So far everyone has correct numbers but not my guess. So I will put the number of times each number appears and see if you can get my equation. 1 and 7 appear one time; 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8 appear twice; and 9 appears three times.