BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

plainglazed

Question

Ok, I know I promised but blame it on Scottie, or the late lunch, or the unbelievably long line at the bank on a Friday afternoon before a three day weekend.

Also inspired by the slew of lists seen here most recently. Well here goes. You kids play amongst yourselves for a while.

1. Understands about greeting nary one existing question. (7)

2. Behold,you and me on the cross. (5)

3. Barely passing and the next one coming and going before crazy old sailor. (9)

4. Most elementary question in an Old World grouping one inside a shortened many. (7)

5. Asp and arch shapes around kid, that is. (7)

6. Roach before an exclamation, not outerspace existence. (6)

7. Total reversal of afterthought is more average sized. (4)

8. Look, man, twin Vipers move over mirrored in previous subcutaneous drip. (11)

9. Small spelling error encircled. NOTE: mass abreviated passport. (7)

0. Be quiet, alias last listed. Not me surrounding urban transit. (9)

The theme of the list and the "answers" will most likely come pretty quickly. The fun? is figuring out the rationale behind the translation.

For those new to these Play on Word Quickies: Each word or two (generally speaking) of the puzzle corresponds to a letter or two (generally speaking) "spelling" out the answer. Other descriptors can be thrown in refering to the relation of individual letters. The letters will "read" left to right as presented unless there is a descriptor that directs otherwise. For the most part, punctuation is not part of the answer but rather to make the clue read better. Other than that, the clues are very precise. There are no unnecessary words in the clues or extra letters in the answers.

Have a nice long weekend Scottie.

• Answers 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'll give this one a shot
Behold - look, see/C

You - U

And - +/T

Me - I

on the cross - T

All together: CUT IT

Perfect reasoning and a good example of how these work but your answer is not a part of this grouping. All ten of these are part of a list the theme of which will become immediately apparant once the first one is solved.

The title may give you a clue as to what kind of list. This one is the perfect one to start on. Thanks for launching this game. I know you can get this one. And then the others will be much easier.

Edited by plainglazed

Ok, I know I promised but blame it on Scottie, or the late lunch, or the unbelievably long line at the bank on a Friday afternoon before a three day weekend.

Also inspired by the slew of lists seen here most recently. Well here goes. You kids play amongst yourselves for a while.

3. Barely passing and the next one coming and going before crazy old sailor. (9)

4. Most elementary question in an Old World grouping one inside a shortened many. (7)

8. Look, man, twin Vipers move over mirrored in previous subcutaneous drip. (11)

The theme of the list and the "answers" will most likely come pretty quickly. The fun? is figuring out the rationale behind the translation.

For those new to these Play on Word Quickies: Each word or two (generally speaking) of the puzzle corresponds to a letter or two (generally speaking) "spelling" out the answer. Other descriptors can be thrown in refering to the relation of individual letters. The letters will "read" left to right as presented unless there is a descriptor that directs otherwise. For the most part, punctuation is not part of the answer but rather to make the clue read better. Other than that, the clues are very precise. There are no unnecessary words in the clues or extra letters in the answers.

understands sees cc

around greeting cHIc

nary one none 0

existing r

question y

Chicory

Behold LO

you and me us

on about, around

the cross t

Lotus

Close enough. I had "on" simply meaning on top and being your typical Ameican liken from bottom up to from left to right as culturally standard. Two down. Good work. Better go check now and see how many more you have done.....

That's interesting. I was picturing the letter as a kind of scales or shoulder carrier with the other letters hanging like a balanced load.

I have found an error. So much for precision, eh.

Line 8. should read: Look, man, twin Vipers TOTALLY mirrored in previous subcutaneous drip. with "totally" replacing "move over".

Nevermind that's what I get for not understanding my own puzzle. Please leave line 8 as before.

Nevermind that's what I get for not understanding my own puzzle. Please leave line 8 as before.

8) look=c man=he twin vipers =ss move over=space mirrored ? in= n previous subcutaneous drip =iv (before the n)

chess ? ivn so this is probably chess vixen , the e could be in the sound of the n mirrored must refer somehow to formation of the x

vipers mirrored mirrored v could be an x.

8) look=c man=he twin vipers =ss move over=space mirrored ? in= n previous subcutaneous drip =iv (before the n)

chess ? ivn so this is probably chess vixen , the e could be in the sound of the n mirrored must refer somehow to formation of the x

vipers mirrored mirrored v could be an x.

well you know you got it half right and give you another 5% for the space. Probably worth more since that's what screwed me up. Ah, what to say. You're right there, you have most of the remainder. Remember some words go to the letters in the answer and others go to directing what to do with them.

well you know you got it half right and give you another 5% for the space. Probably worth more since that's what screwed me up. Ah, what to say. You're right there, you have most of the remainder. Remember some words go to the letters in the answer and others go to directing what to do with them.

okay, in =n previou=ex subcutaneous drip=iv

nexiv the entire thing is mirrored better?

10)

be quiet sh

alias aka

last listed z

not me you u

surrounding on both sides of

urban transit el l

shakazulu

roach joint j

an exclamation oh

not outer in n

space_

existence B

John B

Sorry, missed this one before. You're just too quick. That's chicory's fifth. Starting to think you're getting the hang of these!

Barely passing =d

and the next =e

one= a, i,1,an (coming)

and going =na

crazy old sailor (tar)= art

deannaart

9)

small spelling error = weesp OR abbreviated needs two bs =b

encircled=0,no

NOTE: n or nb or no T or 0T

mass: m or g or k

abbreviated passport= i.d. or p.p. or p

bonomid, bomp, weespotgid, bonokid, bongid ??? don't see any of these in member listing-- closest is bongokid, and i can't justify the position of the second o

Chess_Vixen

Look = C

Man = He

Twin Vipers = SS

??? = XEN

Subcutaneous drip = IV

(mirrored = VI)

(Previous = before the XEN)

Edited by Scottie

ME? (Scottie)

Asp = S

Arch - C

Around = circular = O?

?? = TT

That is = i.e. = IE

Edited by Scottie

9)
small spelling error = weesp OR abbreviated needs two bs =b

encircled=0,no

NOTE: n or nb or no T or 0T

mass: m or g or k

abbreviated passport= i.d. or p.p. or p

bonomid, bomp, weespotgid, bonokid, bongid ??? don't see any of these in member listing-- closest is bongokid, and i can't justify the position of the second o

you have most all of what you need here except for NOTE.

And the missing B in abbreviated is a spelling error and has nothing to do with the puzzle. My bad.