BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is just my opinion so please take it at that. I would recommend doing away with the ranking system or at least making it more complicated than just being based on total number of posts: like factoring in number of hot topics started or overall ranking of topics started or number of days logged in as a user. I feel like there are some users, as evident by comments they have made in posts about increasing their number of posts, who are given the incentive to add posts purely based on upping their rank. I have seen a lot of silly posts deter me from caring about a topic in which I once held interest.

This may sound odd coming from me because I have clearly posted a lot since I have joined, but that is exactly why I 'm saying this. I don't feel like I should have such a 'high rank' on this forum already. In my opinion the real puzzlemasters are the users who have the fewer amounts of posts per day and are mostly well thought out answers or retorts. Sure, having fun is fine, but I have seen a lot of silly and nonsensical posts lately. Basically, I am pushing for some QC. Just an opinion...

Trippled - whoooooooooooops!

Seems to happen a lot to people lately

Three point for the price of one - another attempt at being funny!

Edited by Lost in space

Agrree on the realtional data posts/topics/math -

Promotion should be restricted to quality input though the ranking which of no personal interest to me, iIam sure some members think it's great to be 'appreciated' for there input and there is going to be some poor quality coming through with it.

I do like to indulge in a little levity, but not for the sake ot posting and promotion, more for the fact the oppurtunity arises for various reasons and i would not like people to consider my volume to be related to anything other than what it is - time to post and time to think (maybe not hard sometimes) - short spurts mostly.

Ranking through topic starting is good, but without control the topics become silly. I'm all for valuing input and agree with the promotion of VIP but to label high input of posts = ranking, seems to 'encourage' input as opposed to at least a little thought...

It is becoming PC to 'Pat someone on the back' - and to 'take a bow', not posts I am interested in reading

Anyway quality topic adds to quality membership

and quality replies, serious, honest, thoughtful and clever/funny should be taken for what it is - a reply, a) number = time = availability to log on which is a variable. b) quality = education, wisdom, sense of humour (all subject to opinion of the writer and reader)

Perhaps the Topc starter could vote a reply - though that may be difficult and cause controversey - maybe/maybe not

$0.02 to be added to invoice, or credit towards my 'freedom of / key to the Den' status - me trying humour again!

My suggestion for this:

http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/6192

User based reputation and its related to the title.

I don't like the sound of that mod. It seems exclusive and elitist and serves no real purpose except adding extra dissent

if you know other good mods, pls list them in new thread and I will have a look at them

a mod should only be used if it really adds something substantial and positive to the forum, IMO

This is just my opinion so please take it at that. I would recommend doing away with the ranking system or at least making it more complicated than just being based on total number of posts: like factoring in number of hot topics started or overall ranking of topics started or number of days logged in as a user. I feel like there are some users, as evident by comments they have made in posts about increasing their number of posts, who are given the incentive to add posts purely based on upping their rank. I have seen a lot of silly posts deter me from caring about a topic in which I once held interest.

This may sound odd coming from me because I have clearly posted a lot since I have joined, but that is exactly why I 'm saying this. I don't feel like I should have such a 'high rank' on this forum already. In my opinion the real puzzlemasters are the users who have the fewer amounts of posts per day and are mostly well thought out answers or retorts. Sure, having fun is fine, but I have seen a lot of silly and nonsensical posts lately. Basically, I am pushing for some QC. Just an opinion...

I seriously agree with Itatchi. I joined less than a month ago and I'm already a seinior member. I also belive that... (I hope no one will get mad at me for saying this)...if people start making a lot of nonsensical/nonsense posts, then their rank should go down.

Edited by giterdone

Unreality - If you set this properly up it will be a user based rating systems. IE; bonanova is a puzzle master, when he posts a great answer or a great puzzle we rep him. His rep goes up, and that is how the rankings on these types of boards should be. With proper tweaking so the system isn't abused, it would be a great alternative to "post count"

If you check out some deal sites, they use repps to show how good the poster is. Great for if you look at a thread, and you see something too good to be true and its posted by someone with a good rep then you know its okay.

Unreality - If you set this properly up it will be a user based rating systems. IE; bonanova is a puzzle master, when he posts a great answer or a great puzzle we rep him. His rep goes up, and that is how the rankings on these types of boards should be. With proper tweaking so the system isn't abused, it would be a great alternative to "post count"

If you check out some deal sites, they use repps to show how good the poster is. Great for if you look at a thread, and you see something too good to be true and its posted by someone with a good rep then you know its okay.

I'm all for this idea. Just going by total posts doesn't seem right to me if there's going to be a ranking system. For anyone that is worried the system is going to be abused, just report the abuse when it happens. I'm sure something can be worked out in that situation.

I'm all for this idea. Just going by total posts doesn't seem right to me if there's going to be a ranking system. For anyone that is worried the system is going to be abused, just report the abuse when it happens. I'm sure something can be worked out in that situation.

Why have ranking? It has no real value - I would prefer to rank a puzzle, and/or the answer.

we can rank a puzzle ;D see the topic I made called "Voting Guidelines" or "Voting Rules" or something like that, it's stickied in New Puzzles

We can, but, but I've seen ranked duplicates that are simple and possibly ranked by the topic starter, I guses that's poor voting - Looking for something that works better, can't rate a reply unfortunately - works on some other forums

So did the ratings change today? I could have swore that I just hit the 4* mark yesterday and it's gone today. Oh well, I don't really feel like I deserved it anyway. I don't start many new threads.

I agree with you guys, we need to have a system where people can vote for the ability of a responders' posts. And have the ability to not only rate the quality of the thread/riddle/whatever created, but actually have that rating stick to the person that created that thread. And as mentioned b4, that no one should be able to vote for their own posts.

If you want to rate someone on their behavior or standing amongst the crowd... I believe that's what the 5star rating on the home page is for.

I don't think that people who reply to a topic should be able to rate other people who reply. Only the originators of the thread should be able to rate the repliers, and only the repliers should be able to vote for the thread-originator. And repliers can only rate repliers in the homepage 5star rating system.

Then, the averaging of those rates, combined with #of posts would determine the member status. Obviously, the more posts a person has, the more opportunities they will have to be rated. So keep the current brackets for # of posts and just use them as cut-off limits. Then add a system that combines them with the # of ratings and the quality of the ratings.

Ex. member rating system (just off the top of my head)

0 = Less than 20posts

1 = more than 50posts plus at least 10 ratings(any type, any quality)

2 = more than 100posts plus at least 20 ratings (all types together averaging at least a two)

3 = more than 250posts plus at least 50 ratings (all types together averaging at least a three)

4 = more than 500posts plus at least 75 ratings (all types together averaging at least a three)

5 = more than 1000posts plus at least 100 ratings (all types together averaging at least a four)

Wadya think?

Oh yeah, I didn't even notice. It seems that the emphasis of rank has been lowered and that one can become a senior member and that's all.

I like this because this forum really shouldn't be about leveling up and posting just to 'get more posts'. I would like to add that bonanova should still be the one and only puzzle grandmaster if that's possible. ;)

yes...even I noticed it just now...the rankings have gone down and I am really very happy about that...everyone is just a member now...yes,btw bonanova should be THE puzzle grandmaster :)