Birthed in a tomb by lordly reign,

Of golden seed, in secret lain.

Found and bound to coffin and kin

Cast from land by mortal sin.

Freed of fate by gentle hand

That offered love to a brother’s bane.

Late the prize from giftless guest

Which catches the eye in sudden death.

Ooooh, Shakeepuddn. I've so missed your riddles.

A strange thought. But I'm thinking "abortion."

brought on by the last line's "sudden death." Could it be a "tie" or a "duel to the death" in the general sense, but then that doesn't make sense to me.....thinking on.

Ooooh, Shakeepuddn. I've so missed your riddles.
A strange thought. But I'm thinking "abortion."

Perseus? I can explain if you like..

brought on by the last line's "sudden death." Could it be a "tie" or a "duel to the death" in the general sense, but then that doesn't make sense to me.....thinking on.

It's an honor to have gotten one of your famous riddles :) Greek mythology is something of a specialty of mine..

Yeah. I feel so unlucky with this one. Greek mythology is not my specialty. There's no way I'd EVER get it.

Edited by lotus

Birthed in a tomb by lordly reign,

Of golden seed, in secret lain.

Found and bound to coffin and kin

Cast from land by mortal sin.

Freed of fate by gentle hand

That offered love to a brother’s bane.

Late the prize from giftless guest

Which catches the eye in sudden death.

Birthed in a tomb by lordly reign/Of golden seed, in secret lain..Zeus fathered Perseus, by appearing to his mother as golden rain while she was locked in a tower by her father.

Found and bound to coffin and kin/Cast from land by mortal sin...When her father found out about Perseus, he locked them both into a trunk, and cast them out to sea to die.

Freed of fate by gentle hand/That offered love to a brother's bane...Posiedon took pity and calmed the seas, washing them ashore where a kind fisherman rescued them. The fisherman's brother was the king of the island, and he soon fell in love with Danae. Perseus was sent off to slay the Gorgon (or medusa) so the king could make his move unchallenged.

Late the Prize from giftless guest/which catches the eye in sudden death...Perseus returns with the head of the Medusa, and turns the king and his court to stone.

That's about as accurate as I remember... Happy to help :)

Perseus' mother was the beautiful Danae. Her father Acrisius, wanted a son but the oracle at Delphi not only told him he wouldn't have one but that his grandson would be his slayer. Out of mortal fear he locked his daughter in an underground house with only a slit in the ground-level roof to allow air and sunlight. Zeus visited her in the form of golden rain that flooded the underground prison and she somehow became pregnant. After she bore Perseus, she kept him hidden as best she could but Acrisius discovered him. So he locked them both in a wooden chest and cast them out to sea. They eventually drifted ashore on a distant island and a benevolent fisherman rescued them and succored them both with kindness and love. But his brother, the Island king Polydectes, wanted Danae for his own so he hatched a plot. He invited Perseus to be a guest at his marriage party, but being poor, Perseus had no gift. Polydectys demanded he bring the head of Medusa. Well, to make a long myth short, Perseus succeeded and entered the king’s hall with head in hand. When all eyes in the evil king’s hall fell upon it, they were turned to stone.