BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Anybody Know This One?!

Question

I just found this place and think it's GREAT..so here I am, a newbie! I'm posting my favorite brain teaser, see what you all come up with. I'm not sure how common or old this one is, but so what, it's still my favorite anyway. Ok, ready?

Several years ago during the Boxer Rebellion in China, Captain Frederick A. von Irlseng and his wife, Mildred, decided to attend a church sermon one fine Sunday morning. Upon entering the church, they whispered to one another how lovely and relaxing the ambience was and they easily got settled in a comfortable pew for the sermon. Later during the sermon, however, Capt von Irlseng fell asleep and dreamed he was being chased by the enemy with intent to behead him. He was quickly overcome and captured by the enemy, then shortly after they tied him down securely to a base of wood in order to behead him and finally rid the battlefield once and for all of him. Right when the enemy was about to chop off his head, his wife Mildred noticed he had fallen asleep so she touched him lightly on the back of his neck with her fan to awaken him. The shock of this was so great to Capt von Irlseng that he lurched forward onto the wooden pew in front of them, dead. :o

Soooo, what's wrong with this story? ;)

If anyone wants a small clue or hint, let me know! This is the kind that you'll either get it right away, but if you don't, then you're not likely to get it at all.

7 answers to this question

I just found this place and think it's GREAT..so here I am, a newbie! I'm posting my favorite brain teaser, see what you all come up with. I'm not sure how common or old this one is, but so what, it's still my favorite anyway. Ok, ready?

Several years ago during the Boxer Rebellion in China, Captain Frederick A. von Irlseng and his wife, Mildred, decided to attend a church sermon one fine Sunday morning. Upon entering the church, they whispered to one another how lovely and relaxing the ambience was and they easily got settled in a comfortable pew for the sermon. Later during the sermon, however, Capt von Irlseng fell asleep and dreamed he was being chased by the enemy with intent to behead him. He was quickly overcome and captured by the enemy, then shortly after they tied him down securely to a base of wood in order to behead him and finally rid the battlefield once and for all of him. Right when the enemy was about to chop off his head, his wife Mildred noticed he had fallen asleep so she touched him lightly on the back of his neck with her fan to awaken him. The shock of this was so great to Capt von Irlseng that he lurched forward onto the wooden pew in front of them, dead. <!-- s8O --><!-- s8O -->

Soooo, what's wrong with this story?

If anyone wants a small clue or hint, let me know! This is the kind that you'll either get it right away, but if you don't, then you're not likely to get it at all.

I am not sure I agree with the solution.

BUT,

If the story is not told in 3rd person omniscient, then how does anybody know what the guy was dreaming about if he just keeled over. BUT as it is, the story appears to be written in 3rd person omniscient and therefore we would know what the guy was dreaming about.

Kind of silly inference - China is communist, so there cannot be a Church in China?

Several years ago during the Boxer Rebellion in China, Captain Frederick A. von Irlseng and his wife, Mildred, decided to attend a church sermon one fine Sunday morning. Upon entering the church, they whispered to one another how lovely and relaxing the ambience was and they easily got settled in a comfortable pew for the sermon. Later during the sermon, however, Capt von Irlseng fell asleep and dreamed he was being chased by the enemy with intent to behead him. He was quickly overcome and captured by the enemy, then shortly after they tied him down securely to a base of wood in order to behead him and finally rid the battlefield once and for all of him. Right when the enemy was about to chop off his head, his wife Mildred noticed he had fallen asleep so she touched him lightly on the back of his neck with her fan to awaken him. The shock of this was so great to Capt von Irlseng that he lurched forward onto the wooden pew in front of them, dead. :o

Soooo, what's wrong with this story? ;)

Two types of answers can be possible:

Historic truth:

1. In boxer rebellion, the target of the rebellions was to destroy churches and remove other religions (source: wikipedia). So, no place with a church can be 'calm and serene'.

2. All the christians were fleeing from china....so, it is not normal for anyone to settle there.

Logical:

1. How can one man's dream can be revealed if he dies while waking up?