BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

A grandfather is telling his grandson war stories.

"At the end of World War 1, I was awarded for my bravery after saving a group of my men," the grandfather says. "You see, we were fighting in northern France and one of our enemies threw a grenade at us. I managed to pick it up and throw it away before it exploded. So right after the war ended, a General gave me a sword, engraved with the words 'Awarded for Bravery and Valor, A True Hero, World War 1'."

The grandson thinks about the story for a minute and then says "Grandpa, that story can't be true!" How did the grandson know?

12 answers to this question

"At the end of World War 1, I was awarded for my bravery after saving a group of my men," the grandfather says. "You see, we were fighting in northern France and one of our enemies threw a grenade at us. I managed to pick it up and throw it away before it exploded. So right after the war ended, a General gave me a sword, engraved with the words 'Awarded for Bravery and Valor, A True Hero, World War 1'."

The grandson thinks about the story for a minute and then says "Grandpa, that story can't be true!" How did the grandson know?

It wouldn't have said "World War I" since at the time it was called "The Great War"...because they had no way of knowing there would be more than 1

It's just like the riddle about an archeologist trying to sell some of his artifacts to a museum, and he claimed he found artifacts from around 500 B.C. including pots, tools, some artwork, and money from the time. The way he knows that it's from around 500 B.C. is because everything was made using materials available at the time, the money was coins that had years 530 B.C. - 490 B.C. on them, and the artwork was of events that happened at the time. The museum curator immediately threw the man out and called him a fraud...why?

(Not trying to start a new discussion, just saying that the reasoning is the same)

WW1 was ended in 1918. And you had to be at least 18 years old to serve in the armed forces, meaning his grandpa was born 1900 or earlier. So at the time of the story, his grandfather is over 109 years old!

WW1 was ended in 1918. And you had to be at least 18 years old to serve in the armed forces, meaning his grandpa was born 1900 or earlier. So at the time of the story, his grandfather is over 109 years old!

True.

Inded, the problem statement in its current form admits of more than one answer.

However, if the first line of the statement had commenced with "A grandfather was telling his grandson war stories in the year 1989", then we would have an unique answer, since the minimum age of the grandfather would have been 89 at the time.

Edited by K Sengupta

But, some of the soldiers lied about their age. And the people who register them don't really care.

It's just like the riddle about an archeologist trying to sell some of his artifacts to a museum, and he claimed he found artifacts from around 500 B.C. including pots, tools, some artwork, and money from the time. The way he knows that it's from around 500 B.C. is because everything was made using materials available at the time, the money was coins that had years 530 B.C. - 490 B.C. on them, and the artwork was of events that happened at the time. The museum curator immediately threw the man out and called him a fraud...why?

(Not trying to start a new discussion, just saying that the reasoning is the same)

cant find the answer on the internet but is it

Is it that (money/coins) were not (dated/in use) during 500bc and didn't happen until much later in human history

cant find the answer on the internet but is it

Is it that (money/coins) were not (dated/in use) during 500bc and didn't happen until much later in human history

No...

They couldn't have known it was "BC" since "BC" didn't exist until after year 0/1/-1/whatever...so in 500BC, they wouldn't have dated their coins with "BC" on it....just like with the sword, they wouldn't have called it World War 1, since they didn't know there would be a 2

No...
They couldn't have known it was "BC" since "BC" didn't exist until after year 0/1/-1/whatever...so in 500BC, they wouldn't have dated their coins with "BC" on it....just like with the sword, they wouldn't have called it World War 1, since they didn't know there would be a 2

ah ofc so simple when you see it written in front of you nice riddle

when grandfather started his story he said that he was awarded at end of world war 1,but at end of his story he says that he was awarded after world war 1.

so i think his story is not true,even his grandson has thought the same.i think so :lol: