Riddle

Question

Posted · Report post

The more you take away from it the larger it gets. What is it?

97 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

horizon

Posted · Report post

horizon

although I think a hole is the proper answer, I like this answer as well. If you remove things from the horizon the horizon itself gets bigger. Nice answer.

Posted · Report post

I read everyones comment. I like the hole and horizon answer but the hunger made me think. I think we are trying to answer a question that can not be answered thus all of us are trying to come up with the answer making one person thinking of it to a lot of people thinking of it. So probably its the concept behind it.

Posted · Report post

The real answer is--my underpants :lol:

Posted · Report post

Surely that comment is completely incorrect and misguided? Have you ever dug a hole? Climb in one sometime and try to removing something (anything) from it and see if it get's bigger.

If there was a rock in the bottom of the hole and you removed it, the hole would get bigger. Nothing more complicated than that.

I have dug many holes, and have been in many holes. If there is a rock in the bottom, it is not a part of the hole, but the area that defines where the hole is, it is a part of the ground. Being in the hole, the only thing I can truly remove from the hole is myself, and all I have done is increase the air volume, and decreased the me volume inside the hole. To make a hole larger, I still argue that you must remove material from the edges of the hole, not from the hole itself.

Definition of hole: (from the internet) A hollowed place in something solid; a cavity or pit: dug a hole in the ground with a shovel.

To make a hole bigger, you must remove more of what is solid, not remove the hole. If I take away from a hole in my pants for example, I am mending, making the hole smaller, not larger.

Posted · Report post

It's a HOLE!!

Martin :)

i think it's TENSION. The more you take tension, the more it becomes !! :D:):D

Posted · Report post

It's hOle.

Posted · Report post

a hole? I've heard this with varied answers

Posted · Report post

-_-

a hole

Posted · Report post

I have dug many holes, and have been in many holes. If there is a rock in the bottom, it is not a part of the hole, but the area that defines where the hole is, it is a part of the ground. Being in the hole, the only thing I can truly remove from the hole is myself, and all I have done is increase the air volume, and decreased the me volume inside the hole. To make a hole larger, I still argue that you must remove material from the edges of the hole, not from the hole itself.

Definition of hole: (from the internet) A hollowed place in something solid; a cavity or pit: dug a hole in the ground with a shovel.

To make a hole bigger, you must remove more of what is solid, not remove the hole. If I take away from a hole in my pants for example, I am mending, making the hole smaller, not larger.

I think you miss the obvious though, unless you are making the argument for sake of semantics. What is a hole without that which surrounds it? It’s just space. A hole MUST be defined by that which surrounds it; otherwise you don't recognize it as a hole. When you say you are taking away from a hole, you have to mean you are taking away from the defining structure of the hole; otherwise what you are saying is meaningless. If you are restricting the concept of hole to the empty space, you cannot take away from nothing - you have just created a logical fallacy. When you mend or fill in a hole, you are not taking away from the empty space, but rather you are adding to the defining structure of the hole.

Posted · Report post

I think you miss the obvious though, unless you are making the argument for sake of semantics. What is a hole without that which surrounds it? It's just space. A hole MUST be defined by that which surrounds it; otherwise you don't recognize it as a hole. When you say you are taking away from a hole, you have to mean you are taking away from the defining structure of the hole; otherwise what you are saying is meaningless. If you are restricting the concept of hole to the empty space, you cannot take away from nothing - you have just created a logical fallacy. When you mend or fill in a hole, you are not taking away from the empty space, but rather you are adding to the defining structure of the hole.

The hole is the space, space is three dimensional, enlarging the space means removing more material from the boundary, not the hole!

I'm not with the hole answer, but i'm with the whole truth!

Posted · Report post

I didn't say "enlarging the space" I said (as per the riddle) "taking away from" the hole. That term is meaningless unless defined as I pointed out. You can never take away from empty space, unless you are talking about evacuation of the air that fills that space in an atmosphere; but here we don't have the presupposition of an atmosphere, only a hole, i.e. empty space defined by some sort of boundary. Therefore the only way to give meaning to the term "taking away from a hole" is to define the hole by its surroundings and defining structure and to interpret the phrase as meaning taking material from such a structure.

You can't change the wording of what I said to fit your argument. :)

Posted · Report post

Possibly some people see a hole - others see a space, as in landfill! What does it take for a hole to become a space, a gap that is there for other things to travel through, button hole or hole where a pipe should fit,,.mmm pipe is an interesting hole/space. Do you make the hole bigger or do you just move the boundary. Still into semantics, but i see the space and I am lost in it!...HEEELP!

Posted · Report post

TENSION !!!

Posted · Report post

TENSION !!!

Can someone explain how taking more tension away makes tension larger?

Posted · Report post

Can someone explain how taking more tension away makes tension larger?

I can't rrelate it to wood, where some trees develop 'tension wood' and others 'compression wood' if growing on a hillside. Softwioods - coniferous (i.e. Pine) grow compression wood on one side to support the tree and hardwoods the other side produce tension wood. - can not relate it at all.

Thought I 'wood' share that with you all.

Posted · Report post

I can't rrelate it to wood, where some trees develop 'tension wood' and others 'compression wood' if growing on a hillside. Softwioods - coniferous (i.e. Pine) grow compression wood on one side to support the tree and hardwoods the other side produce tension wood. - can not relate it at all.

Thought I 'wood' share that with you all.

:lol:

LOL, Thanks LIS. I feel so much smarter than I did yesterday. ;)

Posted (edited) · Report post

A Negative Number

-100 -5 = -105

A larger negative number.

Edited by Talent

Posted · Report post

negative numbers :mellow::huh::o;):P:D:lol:

Posted · Report post

:mellow:
The U.S. Treasury

Posted · Report post

a hole?

Posted · Report post

Time of life

Posted · Report post

A Gravel Pit or A Hole in the Ground. The more you dig the bigger it gets. :D

Posted · Report post

It's a hole. Let's use the beach for example. You're digging a hole to bury your brother. The more sand you take away from the hole, the bigger the hole gets, eventually making it brother-sized. lol :P

Posted · Report post

negative numbers :mellow::huh::o;):P:D:lol:

But, if you take a negative number away from a negative number, it gets smaller. Ex: -3 - -2= -1.