BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Riddle

Question

The more you take away from it the larger it gets. What is it?

I think it is life.

Here is why:

From our birth we begin to move towards death. This movement towards death is time taken away from our life. The more time we live the longer our life gets but the further from life we move.

"The more you take away from it the larger it gets. What is it?"

Despite the fact that I have always seen the answer to this question as "a hole", I must disagree with that answer. What do you take away from a hole? You can make a hole larger by removing what is around the hole, but not from taking anything from the existing hole. A negative number works better if by taking away from you mean subtraction, and are talking about the size of the number, but taking away from a negative number could actually be addition (making it less negative).

My answer would have to be hunger (desire, lust, greed, etc.)...the more food (or item longed after) you take away, the larger the hunger grows, but you are not truly taking away from the emotion, but the person with the emotion.

Is'nt the question the more you add to it the smaller it get's then hole/space works as an answer (To me anyway)

The more you take away from it the larger it gets. What is it?

Take a hole or space that is - how do take from it? to me that that means reducing the hole/space ( or are you adding to it - increasing it's size)

Item is 20m3 becomes 25m3 that's adding you took away something next to it but took nothing out of it!

To take something away from such an item it would mean adding an item into the hole/space

Starting with a negative is not the answer but then a hole is not a neagative.

Sorry confusing the issue

Hole, space anything that means gap and other synonym (in oher words) does not work for the original answer

Could be the answer is in the cosmos - Black hole radiation ultra violet light thingymajig or something similar.

Despite the fact that I have always seen the answer to this question as "a hole", I must disagree with that answer. What do you take away from a hole? You can make a hole larger by removing what is around the hole, but not from taking anything from the existing hole.

Surely that comment is completely incorrect and misguided? Have you ever dug a hole? Climb in one sometime and try to removing something (anything) from it and see if it get's bigger.

If there was a rock in the bottom of the hole and you removed it, the hole would get bigger. Nothing more complicated than that.

The universe.

If you take something away from it, you have to put it somewhere. *waving hands saying oooooo"

Hey, if science is trying to tell me that the universe is expanding, then this is a plausible answer.

What about any Underground movement/club/party etc....

The quicker you close it down or imprison/kidnap/deport/kill/etc, it's members [The more you take away] the larger it gets with more venues and members!

A kind of reverse supply and demand attraction!

B))