BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Riddle

Question

Couple of obscure ones:

Grass - I think I'm right in saying that, if you cut the grass on your lawn, it grows back faster to try and replace what has been lost. If you think of it in terms of weight, the more grass you take away from your lawn, the more grass you actually end up with.

Gas - a gas always expands to fill the space that it is in. If you have a gas cylinder full of hydrogen, and pumped half the contents into a new cylinder, you'd have two cylinders completely full of hydrogen. Less density, but more actual volume.

Negative Numbers - the more you take away, the bigger your negative value becomes. ;) Applies to money in your bank account too, once you get into the red.

I think it is life.

Here is why:

From our birth we begin to move towards death. This movement towards death is time taken away from our life. The more time we live the longer our life gets but the further from life we move.

nice. good thinking ;) however heres my answer...

the answer is hole, though. because the more soil you take away from it the larger the hole gets.

;)

nice thinking. :blink: though if you think about it for a second or so... a black HOLE. :D its can be considered a hole... although i like ur way of thinking ;)

A black hole. Not a hole. The two are quite different, even though it has the word "hole" in it.

it is not a hole because you're not taking away soil you would be taking away the hole

I think the answer is nothing because if you take something away from nothing it becomes something and if nothing becomes something then it is more than it was originally

For those claiming it is not a hole.. What if the OP were reversed? What gets smaller as you add to it? Then does a hole work then as the answer? And for those that claim it is a negative number - which is a larger number, -10 or -11? I would say as you "take away" from a negative number you do not get a larger number (or for that matter a larger negative number - in that -10 is a larger number than -11 and both are negative numbers.)

For those claiming it is not a hole.. What if the OP were reversed? What gets smaller as you add to it? Then does a hole work then as the answer? And for those that claim it is a negative number - which is a larger number, -10 or -11? I would say as you "take away" from a negative number you do not get a larger number (or for that matter a larger negative number - in that -10 is a larger number than -11 and both are negative numbers.)

the negative number works because if a number is a large negative number it is the same as saying an infinitely small positive, your idea of large has to flip along the number line. For example, velocity: if you were moving at 100 mph and then began moving at -100 mph we would not say you were slowing down but rather that you were moving quickly in the other direction same concept.

let me give it a try....

1. a hole.

2. air pressure (vacuum)

3. ignorance (my favorite)

4. denominater (when you reduce the denominater on a fraction the fraction gets bigger i.e 1/2 bigger than 1/4)

No a hole does not work for that answer for the same reason. You are not adding a hole to a hole you are adding dirt to the hole to make it smaller.

But, you're right about the negative number. -10 > -11. Velocity is different than a negative number for the person that wrote that. There is no such thing as a negative velocity. if you take away from a negative number you could say the absolute value of the number gets bigger, but that does not satisfy the question.

I don't think nothing works either. Let's stay with the number analogy. Say you have zero. You take one away now you have negative one. As I stated above 0>-1.

I think nothing might work if you are saying there is no answer to this riddle, however.

But, I do think it can be life for the same reason as stated by someone above.

Really, though it deends on how the question is stated. If it reads what thing can you take something away from to make the first thing bigger, then a hole works. But, if it reads what can you take away from itself then i don't think too many things work except for maybe life.