BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

riddle

Question

i am walking in a jungle, when i come across a fork in the trail on which i travel. in the middle of the fork, there is a native.i know that there are two tribes of this jungle, and it is indistinguishable from which tribe this man comes. one of the tribes is down one road, and all belonging to it are cannibals who will certainly eat me, while down the other road is a tribe of nice people, and will serve me a nice meal. the cannibals always lie, while the other tribe always tells the truth. i also know that while speaking to them, both tribes will only allow you one question. if you excede that limit, they will kill you. what question shall i ask in order to live?

"Which way to your camp?" if from the canniballistic/liar tribe, the man will point to the safe route, which is to the other camp. if a truth teller, he will point to his own camp. both ways i will live.

5 answers to this question

There are 4 cases to consider.

[1] Cannibals live on the left road, and the native is a cannibal. -- You should go right.

[2] Cannibals live on the left road, and the native is a nice person. -- You should go right.

[3] Cannibals live on the right road, and the native is a cannibal. -- You should go left.

[4] Cannibals live on the right road, and the native is a nice person. -- You should go left.

Ask the native: would the people who live on the left road say you are a cannibal?

[1] He is C, they are C; so they would say he is not C, so he would say they would say he is C. He will answer Yes.

[2] He is not C, they are C, so they would say he is C, so he would say they would say he is C. He will answer Yes.

[3] He is C, they are not C, so they would say he is C, so he would say they would say his is not C. He will answer No.

[4] He is not C, they are not C, so they would say he is not C, so he would say they would say he is not C. He will answer No.

If the native answers Yes, it's Case 1 or 2. You should go to the right.

If he answers No, it's Case 3 or 4. You should go to the left.