BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Writersblock's Book Club

Question

Even though I have an endlessly difficult and intellectually stimulating job, I find it's not enough to satisfy the little wheels that constantly turn in my head. So here's my idea. I'd like to form a little group willing to read good books and discuss the ideas in the books in an open and intellectual manner. We can do both fiction and non-fiction, but the books must have some intellectual element or over-riding philosophical idea guiding the text. We do a chapter at a time or a certain number of pages or whatever and go slow enough that it's not a burden to keep up. I'd love to participate in something like this with other "smarties."

We can all suggest books and offer why we want to read them, then vote. Majority rules on what we read and we can all veto any book we find offensive for any reason with no questions asked. Sound good?

If you are interested, post your interest here and if we get 5 people it's a go.

Admin: if you have a problem with this activity here, I fully understand. Though, we'd hope you'd join in.

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Though let me start by trashing Eragon, of course. Worst book(s) ever. The writing has a few good parts, but 99% is utter boring, and the amount of cliché and unoriginality in those books is almost impossible to express with the amount of words allowed by a single post on BD. It's like he took a bunch of popular fantasy/scifi franchises (some of them already sh*tty) and smushed them into a lame LOTR-starwars-ripoff. Total ripoff... part of the clichéd fantasy genre. Euucucck!

Oh, I totally agree...it bored me...I just....couldn't finish it D:

As for His Dark Materials, I love those books! I loved them even before I understood the atheist message. The ending so sad :( I think I've grown a little out of them, but they're still decent

I haven't finished the series *as I pointed out* But, I saw the movie and it looked interesting, figured the books would be way better *that's how it always is XD* They were banned at one point in my old school's library...but people got mad XD

I like most other books too ;D lol. I'm planning on reading Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five (mostly for LOST reference hehe) and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a few others, but haven't got around to it yet

Hitchkiker's Guide to the Galaxy...probably the only sci-fi book I've actually been INTERESTED in XD That series is hilarious...

So, we all have different thoughts on books...how are we gonna decide anything? :wacko: I'm up for anything, as long as it isn't boring -_- or cliche...or too adult o.O I'm not so into that...

<(^-^)>

Oh yep and I'll have to join the dissing Dan Brown camp. Though my wife likes him. Personally I think he's an overrated hack. There's some imagination and research in the topics but he can't write characters or dialogue to save his life and the storylines are by the numbers.

Big up for Philip Pullman though. Wonderfully imaginative stuff! I was just gutted that the Golden Compass film was such a damp squib :mad: . Don't watch the movie, read the book!

Couldn't agree more! But I can't imagine that Phillip Pullman would sell his soul and let that film be made the way it was. I was so disapointed, he must have been blackmailed - it's the only thing that makes sense. Also sorry folks but Dan Brown's writing is poor. I mean the stories are fast paced thrillers etc. but in my opinion nothing special.

@unreality: See you think you would grow out of them (His Dark Materials) but there are more layers to it than you'd think at first glance. As I'm sure you know. It's in no way a children's book. Oh and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is pure genius - A Trilogy of Five! :lol:

-----------

As for a book, why don't we do a celebrated classic? It's more than likely going to be good - it's a classic for a reason. Otherwise it would be hard enough to agree on something to read. Now I haven't thought about this enough to actually come up with one mind. But classics are usually accessible to all ages, which would suit this book club I think. What do y'all think about that? Cuz so far we've just been throwing around book names. (Not that thats bad lol)

Oh... I always wanted to read "Coraline", lack of time, money, and 30 unread books of my own are preventing me!

Wait make that 40... :wacko:

I also have "Moby Dick" collecting dust! That's the next book on my 'Must Read List'! :)

Coraline is pretty good, but i hate the button eyes and it gets a little scary :mellow: (for a little 8 year-old reading it in the dark [ don't blame me :lol: ])

I'll join :)

Though let me start by trashing Eragon, of course. Worst book(s) ever. The writing has a few good parts, but 99% is utter boring, and the amount of cliché and unoriginality in those books is almost impossible to express with the amount of words allowed by a single post on BD. It's like he took a bunch of popular fantasy/scifi franchises (some of them already sh*tty) and smushed them into a lame LOTR-starwars-ripoff. Total ripoff... part of the clichéd fantasy genre. Euucucck!

lol, onto the next subject: Dan Brown. One thing he has immense talent for is drawing you in - you read one page and your hooked. Because I've this, I've read all 4 books (Angels & Demons, Da Vinci Code, Digital Fortress, Deception Point). Deception Point pretty much sucks, and Da Vinci Code isn't as good as the hype, but Angels & Demons and Digital Fortress are actually good books IMO. I really enjoyed Digital Fortress (but maybe cuz I'm a computer geek ;) ) and Angels & Demons has more twists than your mom's DNA ;D

That being said, I always get a little angry when he states totally FALSE facts as truths. When it's anti-religion I don't really mind (lol :P), but some of the facts are blatantly false, but are worded as if he did his research well, but is just twisting them. I can't really describe it lol

Anyway, if I had to recommend a good book series, it's Pendragon by DJ MacHale. It's not about King Arthur at all, it's set in modern times and about these space-time-travelers and... well I can't give much else away, everything is very need-to-know. DJ MacHale's writing is very funny and descriptive, and it starts off more young-teen-ish age but picks up momentum quick throughout the series, becoming wider and darker and more and more epic... one of my favorite series for sure :D I own all 9 lol, and am waiting patiently for #10... trust me, it's very unique, and very entertaining to read

As for His Dark Materials, I love those books! I loved them even before I understood the atheist message. The ending so sad :( I think I've grown a little out of them, but they're still decent

I like most other books too ;D lol. I'm planning on reading Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five (mostly for LOST reference hehe) and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a few others, but haven't got around to it yet

I love Pendragon!!!

I would fully recommend it. (I think D.J. Machale borrowed something from the Muslim religion[ Allah spelled backwards and bedouins])

Ooh, I could go for some Neil Geilman. I know this guy who's like his biggest fan.. Did his Ph.D. stuff on cycberpunk novels. Must be good.

Also, I've just bought some books. Anyone up for either Just Six Numbers by Martin Rees or The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene?

its not too late to join i hope? :)

i reccomend this series too.

the only problem would be if we had any strong christians... as the book does kinda oppose their beliefs...

It depends on how you look at it ;) I wrote and 8 page essay on how it didn't oppose their beliefs (I'd be happy to send it to anyone who wants it!)

It'll be people's choices if they want to read it, I'm not forcing a book someone doesn't want to read on them.

Okay, what about Ender's Game by Orson Scott card? Or even Ender's Shadow?Ender's Game about genius little kids (this is not a novel for children though, young adults at earliest) who go to some space school (it sounds kiddie, but it isn't), and do stuff. Ender has a brother and sister, in their teenage years, who are also geniuses, and try to take over the world via cyber politics. Ender's Shadow is essentially the same book, but from a different character's perspective.

I love the Ender series! :D

(Not really a series, just a bunch of books)

I think Ender's Game was the best of them, more action less disturbing murder (but the murder was cool too :lol: I guess that mafia addiction showing through)

RMZ: have you ever noticed how almost everything in the Pendragon universe (or universes I should say. Or just one. We don't know yet??? lol) has a double letter?

People:

Bobby

Press

Seegen

Kalaloo

Quinnick

Loor

Saangi

Gunny

Nevva

Elli

Rellin

Mallos

Po Nassi

Ty Manoo

Winn Farrow (double double lol)

Maxmillion Rose

Aja Killian

Director Kree Sever

Boon

Pelle a Zinj

Telleo

Bokka

Teek

Veego

Andy Mitchell

Dewey Todd

Weej

Linnta

Hammaba

Fourteen (dado)

Challenger Green (double doubles lol)

Tribes and Peoples and Groups:

Faarians

Bedoowan

Ghee

Tiggen

Jakills

Blok trustees

Toom

Gallauao

Territories and Universe Names:

Halla

territory (the word itself, lol)

Quillan

Veelox

Zadaa

Eelong

Places:

Faar

Leeandra

Grallion

Magorran

Manhattan Tower Hotel

Corrian trench

Kingdom of See

Principal of Deelix

District of Rann

Katimba Laaq

Corrian

Meeken Range

Orloo

Continents:

Ruum

Sheeg

Habutta

Bedoo

Nodd

Sports Played:

wippen

spinney-do

basketball

soccer

volleyball

Festivals and Events:

Runnow Taa

Foods and Animals:

rooker

kooloo

spinney

cooger

preel

sniggers

Vehicles:

scoot

speeder

skimmer

zeppelin

Currency and Time Measurements:

kekks

quills

eggles

marrs

dollars

Suns:

rigg

I also like the UGLIES series by Scott Westerfield and the Shadow Children series byt Margaret Peterson Haddox. Running out of time is also good (also my MPH).

BDBC (BrainDen-BookClub):

1) Peace!!!

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

All of them my favorites among the_____ and disease testing :sigh: :)

1)Peace

2)RMZ

Edited by Riddle Master Zack

RMZ: have you ever noticed how almost everything in the Pendragon universe (or universes I should say. Or just one. We don't know yet??? lol) has a double letter?

People:

Bobby

Press

Seegen

Kalaloo

Quinnick

Loor

Saangi

Gunny

Nevva

Elli

Rellin

Mallos

Po Nassi

Ty Manoo

Maxmillion Rose

Aja Killian

Director Kree Sever

Boon

Pelle a Zinj

Telleo

Bokka

Teek

Veego

Andy Mitchell

Dewey Todd

Weej

Linnta

Hammaba

Fourteen (dado)

Faarians

Bedoowan

Ghee

Tiggen

Jakills

Blok trustees

Toom

Gallauao

Halla

Quillan

Veelox

Zadaa

Eelong

Places:

Faar

Leeandra

Grallion

Magorran

Manhattan Tower Hotel

Corrian trench

Kingdom of See

Principal of Deelix

District of Rann

Katimba Laaq

Corrian

Meeken Range

Orloo

Continents:

Ruum

Sheeg

Habutta

Bedoo

Nodd

Sports Played:

wippen

spinney-do

basketball

soccer

volleyball

Festivals and Events:

Runnow Taa

Foods and Animals:

rooker

kooloo

spinney

cooger

preel

sniggers

Vehicles:

scoot

speeder

skimmer

zeppelin

kekks

quills

eggles

marrs

dollars

Suns:

rigg

Hmm i never noticed that.

People:

Bobby

Press

Seegen

Kalaloo

Quinnick

Loor

Saangi

Gunny

Nevva

Elli

Rellin

Mallos

Po Nassi

Ty Manoo

Maxmillion Rose

Aja Killian

Director Kree Sever

Boon

Pelle a Zinj

Telleo

Bokka

Teek

Veego

Andy Mitchell

Dewey Todd

Weej

Linnta

Hammaba

Fourteen (dado)

Faarians

Bedoowan

Ghee

Tiggen

Jakills

Blok trustees

Toom

Gallauao

Halla

Quillan

Veelox

Zadaa

Eelong

Places:

Faar

Leeandra

Grallion

Magorran

Manhattan Tower Hotel

Corrian trench

Kingdom of See

Principal of Deelix

District of Rann

Katimba Laaq

Corrian

Meeken Range

Orloo

Continents:

Ruum

Sheeg

Habutta

Bedoo

Nodd

Sports Played:

wippen

spinney-do

basketball

soccer

volleyball

Festivals and Events:

Runnow Taa

Foods and Animals:

rooker

kooloo

spinney

cooger

preel

sniggers

Vehicles:

scoot

speeder

skimmer

zeppelin

kekks

quills

eggles

marrs

dollars

Suns:

rigg

Hmm i never noticed that.

Shadow Children is a great series :D

Why the sign-up roster lol? No need for that, peace. It's not a game, nor a set list - people can come and go. However we could have a list of book nominees and vote numbers next to them, ie,

Slaughterhouse Five - 12

Pendragon - 17

or whatever :P

I think someone should make a poll topic and then we read the first book that gets 5 votes. First let's agree on the books to be in the poll:

So far we have:

Slaughterhouse 5

Pendragon

Fragile Things

The Man in the High Castle

Ender's Game

Angels and Demons

His Dark Materials

...3 more and someone start a poll topic and we're all set! ;)

I think someone should make a poll topic and then we read the first book that gets 5 votes. First let's agree on the books to be in the poll:

So far we have:

Slaughterhouse 5

Pendragon

Fragile Things

The Man in the High Castle

Ender's Game

Angels and Demons

His Dark Materials

...3 more and someone start a poll topic and we're all set! ;)

Well out of these books I only have "Angels and Demons" in English actually... so that's my vote! Or I could borrow Pullman from a friend of mine... she's been bugging me to read them for a year now! :lol:

Edited by andromeda

I read in one of the earlier posts that someone wanted to read Goden, Escher, Bach: The Eternal Golden Braid and I second that. I have read through some of it at a library while waiting, and it was very intruiging. The way the author intertwines form and content is genius. And for those who dont know what this book is, it is a "philosophical" work that shows a connection in math, art, and music, from the likes of Goden, Escher, and J.S. Bach. Just thinking about his one, makes me want to go buy it.

Also, some one said A Breif History by Hawking. I have always wanted to read that. "Ideas and Concepts" by Einstein also piques my interest. And what about "Crime and Punishment"? I think that fits this category perfectly. I work of fiction and non-fiction. Suspense and philosophy.

Just my two-cents... :)

Yeah! Angels and Demons was an absolute page-turner. One of those books I really :P couldn't keep down. And I too didn't find The Da Vinci Code nearly as exciting as Angels and Demons. Deception Point and Digital Fortress again didn't get my pulse racing, but were exciting at least upto some point.

Hey! What about Micheal Crichton? All of his books may not be exciting(not taking into account Jurassic Park series and Timeline) but books like The Andromeda Strain, Congo, Sphere give us a lot to think about.

And P.G.Wodehouse is a humorous writer in a class of his own. Whenever I am feeling down-and-out reading a piece of conversation between dear old Bertie and the inimitable Jeeves pulls my spirits up. Hoping to have a collection of all books featuring Jeeves.

No offense, but I hate Michael Crichton books. They're incomprehensibly boring. I started both Jurassic Park and Prey. I dropped Prey after the first 5-10 chapters but drudged through Jurassic Park, slowly. They're just so boring

I second that. I liked Jurassic Park, but the others I couldn't read, like Congo, etc...

Also, there's a new topic for us to decide a book so that we can actually get a Book Club underway. I'm assuming you saw that considering the vote for Slaughterhouse 5 :P , but I just wanted to make mention to all who want to be in the bookclub to get your vote on. If a couple of books are close to 5 and you wouldn't mind reading them, please vote for them in an effort to get one picked a.s.a.p. Your top pick can always be our next book. ;)

No offense taken. :P I know they are not thrilling page-turners like Dan Brown, Robert Ludlum and the kind. But I just seem to like them. But I will agree that Prey wasn't one of his best books with his endless description about Imaging and theories(but I read that as well, wasn't surprised when the hero's wife was found to infected by the swarm near the end :P ). The Terminal Man would beat Prey in terms of action, though.