BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Writersblock's Book Club

Question

Even though I have an endlessly difficult and intellectually stimulating job, I find it's not enough to satisfy the little wheels that constantly turn in my head. So here's my idea. I'd like to form a little group willing to read good books and discuss the ideas in the books in an open and intellectual manner. We can do both fiction and non-fiction, but the books must have some intellectual element or over-riding philosophical idea guiding the text. We do a chapter at a time or a certain number of pages or whatever and go slow enough that it's not a burden to keep up. I'd love to participate in something like this with other "smarties."

We can all suggest books and offer why we want to read them, then vote. Majority rules on what we read and we can all veto any book we find offensive for any reason with no questions asked. Sound good?

If you are interested, post your interest here and if we get 5 people it's a go.

Admin: if you have a problem with this activity here, I fully understand. Though, we'd hope you'd join in.

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This looks like an awesome topic...sucks that it died o.O Like a year ago...oh my gosh Peace, you read the same books as me XD Although, you started very late in the series for Warriors...that's like the first of the third set. Start with Into the Wild. Guardians rock! My name for Woon's Warrior Battle was Corynhoole...not sure if you've read that far XD Anyway, I'd love to do a book club, if anyone wants to join this revived topic...:)

<(^-^)>

O.0 You read the same books as me (maybe because we're still young)

I suggest Eragon, Artimis Fowl, and maybe.. The Ranger's Apprentice?

O.0 You read the same books as me (maybe because we're still young)

I suggest Eragon, Artimis Fowl, and maybe.. The Ranger's Apprentice?

Huh...I didn't like Eragon, Artimis Fowl, or Inkheart, to the shock of all my booky friends DX The Ranger's Apprentice...I think I've heard of it...I'll have to get to the library soon. Right now...I'm reading The Crystal Cave but I don't know who it's by...I just know it's about Merlin...oh and A Women Worth Ten Coppers *but it's an adult book XD*

<(^-^)>

Hah, this topic gets revived like once a year. I'm totally in.*

Zack, could we not do Eragon? I tried reading it about two years ago, and had to put it down page 70ish. That's how bad it was.

*Well, depending on the books. I'd prefer something not too kiddy. I suggest anything by Dan Brown. Angels & Demons is my pick, 'cos that's the only one of his well-known books that I haven't read yet. The movie is coming out soon, so you're all going to have to read it anyway. :P

Zack, could we not do Eragon? I tried reading it about two years ago, and had to put it down page 70ish. That's how bad it was.

*Well, depending on the books. I'd prefer something not too kiddy. I suggest anything by Dan Brown. Angels & Demons is my pick, 'cos that's the only one of his well-known books that I haven't read yet. The movie is coming out soon, so you're all going to have to read it anyway. :P

Oh, I agree, a lot of these books I've read years ago *except I still read Warriors because it's so cute and awesome XD* So who's in? Any adults? XD *apparently not*

<(^-^)>

I'm in! :D

My recommendations:

Jurassic Park: By Micheal Crighton

All 3 Warriors Series: By Erin Hunter

The Icemark Chronicles: By Stuart Hill

His Dark Materials Series: By Phillip Pullman

Eragon is brilliant!!! Let's not trash the dragon rider!! B))

Den Brown... too much media frenzy over his books... bit too much for my taste... Oh and "Da Vinci Code" is more of a fairy tale than "Eragon" and I'm an agnostic! :)

I'm reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude" Gabriel García Márquez... love it... :)

Edited by andromeda

Due to the excitement, Why not Five children and it? (*sammyadds!!!*) [maybe you can find out why i keep saying that]

Twilight is all booked..

Hmm, judging all the book picks, I have a great one!!

H.I.V.E.

I'm always up for this topic. My only dislike so far would be Dan Brown. I really didn't like Da Vinci Code and would not want to read anything else by him. I started reading Philip K. Dick novels. I read the Cosmic Puppets and now I'm reading The Unteleported Man. They're short, quick reads and both awesome. I'm under the impression his entire collection is awesome so I'd like anything by him. Or Neil Gaiman for that matter. But I'll go with the majority (unless it's Dan Brown, then I'm out :P )

actually... looking back on my previous post from long long ago, I never did get around to reading The Man in the High Castle so that's my vote

I'm always up for this topic. My only dislike so far would be Dan Brown. I really didn't like Da Vinci Code and would not want to read anything else by him. I started reading Philip K. Dick novels. I read the Cosmic Puppets and now I'm reading The Unteleported Man. They're short, quick reads and both awesome. I'm under the impression his entire collection is awesome so I'd like anything by him. Or Neil Gaiman for that matter. But I'll go with the majority (unless it's Dan Brown, then I'm out :P )

actually... looking back on my previous post from long long ago, I never did get around to reading The Man in the High Castle so that's my vote

Oh... I always wanted to read "Coraline", lack of time, money, and 30 unread books of my own are preventing me!

Wait make that 40... :wacko:

I also have "Moby Dick" collecting dust! That's the next book on my 'Must Read List'! :)

its not too late to join i hope? :)

i reccomend this series too.

the only problem would be if we had any strong christians... as the book does kinda oppose their beliefs...

By the way...I did like Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons....

I have all the four books by him... Deception Point and Digital Fortress as well....

Not sure, what's wrong with his books....his facts might not be totally true (or maybe) but, big deal....it makes a good read..after all what are novels for...

All 3 Warriors Series: By Erin Hunter

The Icemark Chronicles: By Stuart Hill

I've read all of those so far, except I never finished the second His Dark Materials book...:huh: Don't know why...I should get on that XD

I'm up for reading adult books, I just usually read lighter things because of the lack of time *with school and Brainden and all*

Due to the excitement, Why not Five children and it?

That was a good book :)

Well we should probably decide something soon -_- My library isn't gonna be open all next week for cleaning or something :wacko:

<(^-^)>

What up with the dislike for Dan Brown? The Da Vinci Code was brilliant. *shrug* Maybe a bit too controversial for people today? Eh, I liked it. Deception Point wasn't as good as The Da Vinci code, but still like an 8/10.

Okay, what about Ender's Game by Orson Scott card? Or even Ender's Shadow?Ender's Game about genius little kids (this is not a novel for children though, young adults at earliest) who go to some space school (it sounds kiddie, but it isn't), and do stuff. Ender has a brother and sister, in their teenage years, who are also geniuses, and try to take over the world via cyber politics. Ender's Shadow is essentially the same book, but from a different character's perspective.

I refuse to read Twilight again. *shivers* Worst book ever.

I also have "Moby Dick" collecting dust! That's the next book on my 'Must Read List'! :)
I thought he ate plankton??

I was in the video shop and asked if the "Invisble Man" was in yet? - Shop assistant said they'l keep looking ??

btw how do you 'clap' eyes on someone?

btw how do you 'clap' eyes on someone?
Place eye in palm of hand while bringing other hand down with sufficient force to pop it and spray eye juice all over them. Best not to clap your own eyes as you run out of them quickly.

Oh yep and I'll have to join the dissing Dan Brown camp. Though my wife likes him. Personally I think he's an overrated hack. There's some imagination and research in the topics but he can't write characters or dialogue to save his life and the storylines are by the numbers.

Big up for Philip Pullman though. Wonderfully imaginative stuff! I was just gutted that the Golden Compass film was such a damp squib :mad: . Don't watch the movie, read the book!

For books appropriate for people over 12, my favorites are anything by Neil Gaiman. Neverwhere, Stardust, The Graveyard Book, Anansi Boys. American Gods is great too but a bit more mature.

For 8-12, one of my favorite books that is not widely known is "A Single Shard" by Linda Sue Park.

All these books are suitable for adults. :)

Oh... I always wanted to read "Coraline", lack of time, money, and 30 unread books of my own are preventing me!

Wait make that 40... :wacko:

Moby Dick was on my must read list... until I read it. I don't exactly regret reading it, and I can see how it was a very exciting book in it's time, but I personally found the plot and character development to be almost a side-note to the whaling textbook that the novel mostly is. That opinion is probably just a product of growing up with television. ;)

I will happily send you my copy of "Coraline". I've given the book away 7 times already and have made lifelong Neil Gaiman fans every time. I read it in one sitting, so normal people should be able to gobble it up in a couple days.

While we're on the subject, I place "Good Omens" by Gaiman and Terry Prachett right up there. Better than the sum of it's parts, as they say. Just please don't let them attempt a movie based on it. I'm already worried that Niel Gaiman isn't even mentioned in the "Coraline" movie trailer.

As far as a choice for a "book club" type book, I think "Fragile Things" by Neil Gaiman would be perfect. It is a collection of poems and short stories that are rather exceptional. The short story "October in the Chair" is especially enchanting.

As far as a choice for a "book club" type book, I think "Fragile Things" by Neil Gaiman would be perfect. It is a collection of poems and short stories that are rather exceptional. The short story "October in the Chair" is especially enchanting.

I read that, and it's awesome. In "Fragile Things" my favorite short was the wanderer in the bar who gets hired to be a bodyguard. ~I forget the names of them all. They are almost all awesome. The cyclic demon one and the first detective one were great too. "Good Omens" is probably one of the best books I've ever read. Crowley is amazing B))

And yeah, Dan Brown is basically the equivalent of a blockbuster movie script writer, for someone like Michael Bay or Jerry Bruckheimer. ~just adding fuel to the book-fire :P

I'll join :)

Though let me start by trashing Eragon, of course. Worst book(s) ever. The writing has a few good parts, but 99% is utter boring, and the amount of cliché and unoriginality in those books is almost impossible to express with the amount of words allowed by a single post on BD. It's like he took a bunch of popular fantasy/scifi franchises (some of them already sh*tty) and smushed them into a lame LOTR-starwars-ripoff. Total ripoff... part of the clichéd fantasy genre. Euucucck!

lol, onto the next subject: Dan Brown. One thing he has immense talent for is drawing you in - you read one page and your hooked. Because I've this, I've read all 4 books (Angels & Demons, Da Vinci Code, Digital Fortress, Deception Point). Deception Point pretty much sucks, and Da Vinci Code isn't as good as the hype, but Angels & Demons and Digital Fortress are actually good books IMO. I really enjoyed Digital Fortress (but maybe cuz I'm a computer geek ;) ) and Angels & Demons has more twists than your mom's DNA ;D

That being said, I always get a little angry when he states totally FALSE facts as truths. When it's anti-religion I don't really mind (lol :P), but some of the facts are blatantly false, but are worded as if he did his research well, but is just twisting them. I can't really describe it lol

Anyway, if I had to recommend a good book series, it's Pendragon by DJ MacHale. It's not about King Arthur at all, it's set in modern times and about these space-time-travelers and... well I can't give much else away, everything is very need-to-know. DJ MacHale's writing is very funny and descriptive, and it starts off more young-teen-ish age but picks up momentum quick throughout the series, becoming wider and darker and more and more epic... one of my favorite series for sure :D I own all 9 lol, and am waiting patiently for #10... trust me, it's very unique, and very entertaining to read

As for His Dark Materials, I love those books! I loved them even before I understood the atheist message. The ending so sad :( I think I've grown a little out of them, but they're still decent

I like most other books too ;D lol. I'm planning on reading Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five (mostly for LOST reference hehe) and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a few others, but haven't got around to it yet

I like most other books too ;D lol. I'm planning on reading Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five (mostly for LOST reference hehe) and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a few others, but haven't got around to it yet

Did you read 'Turn of the Screw'? I've been meaning to read that since they mentioned it on Lost a while back. :D