BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

ok I'm trying my first rhyming riddle. hope you like it.

Truly we are overcome by what man has invented

Some use us now for decoration, some think that's demented

Still we can be that silent measure by which one can detect,

If our place of residence deserves proper respect

I'm trying to understand the structure exactly. It's well written. I just want to clarify. For some reason the "by which" is throwing me off (those two do that to me, some times). Is this correct meaning of the last two lines?

one can detect by our silence whether our residence deserves proper respect?

I guess I mean just what it says, they are a "silent measure" as in something you observe on your own. what you observe can help you decide whether their "place of residence" deserves "respect".

thank you for saying it's well-written :)

By the way, your clarification really helped. I suppose it could be considered cheating some, me asking. But, I consider myself very well learned where grammar and literature is concerned. So, when a sentence has multiple meanings because of how it is written, I get stuck trying to find the accent of meaning, rather than look at the whole picture. So, thank you, and you're welcome.

By the way, your clarification really helped. I suppose it could be considered cheating some, me asking. But, I consider myself very well learned where grammar and literature is concerned. So, when a sentence has multiple meanings because of how it is written, I get stuck trying to find the accent of meaning, rather than look at the whole picture. So, thank you, and you're welcome.

oh no, I think it's cool. i think all parts of riddle need to make sense and can be discussed without giving away the answer. i hate when people add bits that are just... there... for no reason.

it's not a bear rug though.

a cross, such as is worn around the neck? (residence being the person)

again I love the way you think! second part great, but it's not the answer I have in mind. why have we overcome the need for this?

New clue. New line.

Still we can be that silent measure by which one can detect, if our place of residence deserves proper respect

One thing we appreciate is our basic connection with species who have appetite but don't do decoration.

and how did we overcome the need for those...? nope. look back at new line, i choose each word on purpose.

Oh!! I didn't realize you meant we have overcome the need for the invention. I thought you meant "overwhelmed" or the like by the fact that it was invented. Okay. Thinking more.

Oh!! I didn't realize you meant we have overcome the need for the invention. I thought you meant "overwhelmed" or the like by the fact that it was invented. Okay. Thinking more.

who said it was an invention?

yes that which i am looking for has been overcome BY invention or inventions. it does not follow that what we are looking for IS also an invention.

the NEED for it (or primary need, but that's a clue I guess) has in someway been overcome by invention, just read it as it is.