BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Gmaster479

Question

How many of you have played this game? You know the game where you make lines on a board and you try to avoid letting everyone else make squares? If you don't I'll explain it and run through a basic game for you.

Let's just say that Player 1 is first. He makes a line on the page. It has to be vertical or horizontal and can only be between 2 dots. After that Player 2 makes a line, probably in a different place, in just the same way.

I'm thinking this game will have 4 players and even though it seems easy at first, after a while you want to try and avoid making the third line of a square because the next player can then make a square, put his or her intials in it and then proceed to go again. Possibly making another square. In the end the person with the most squares with their initials in it wins.

In a couple hours, The next post will have an example of how a game would end.

EXAMPLE SIGN UP:

Player 1: GMaster479 (GM)

Player 2: A.I (AI)

Player 3: WilsonsMum (WM)

Player 4: voltage: (VT)

• Answers 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yea sorry I edited it while you were posting :D

I think that is what makes this game interesting is that as you get closer to the point where everyone is making squares you need to make it so that when it is your turn that you win. I think this ended up working out well for our first try.

So do we want another 6x6 game, 4 people or can we make it bigger?

Ya, I counted 5 chains before I posted, so that I would get the last long one, but it was only going to work if Kat short-changed Gmaster. If she had done it differently then I would have gotten that last long chain.

Ya, I counted 5 chains before I posted, so that I would get the last long one, but it was only going to work if Kat short-changed Gmaster. If she had done it differently then I would have gotten that last long chain.

Yep thats what I meant by Kat setting me up.

So I'm signing up again to defend my title and tell everyone else so we can start a new game

1. GMaster479

Edited by Gmaster479

I suspect that people who have seen this thread earlier on know that a game had begun a while ago, and probably haven't been following it to see that it's now over and we're waiting for sign-ups. A new thread may be in order. And while we're at it:

If you want to try to take the game to an even more difficult level, how about making it 3-D so we're building cubes instead of squares? A sort of trivial example of a 4x4 x1 layer deep game board would be:

Top lids		   Boxes			  Bottom lids

+  +  +  +  +	  +  +  +  +  +	  +  +  +  +  +

Where the top and bottom lids show the layers where you would inset a plane to be the lid of the cube. After a few moves it might look like this

+  +  +  +  +	  +  +--+--+  +	  +  +  +  +  +

XX				|  |  |			 XX XX	

+  +  +  +  +	  +  +  +--+  +	  +  +  +  +  +

XX				|						 

The box in the middle-upper-right that has all four sides in place hasn't been scored yet because it doesn't have a top lid. Eventually they could start scoring boxes like so

XX XX			 |Me|Me|			 XX XX	

XX				|Yu|				XX	

The only thing I don't like about this way of drawing the game board is that if we wanted to make a 4x4x3 game volume, we would have to make a mosterous
Top lids		   Top boxes		  Top-Middle lids	Middle boxes

+  +  +  +  +	  +  +  +  +  +	  +  +  +  +  +	  +  +  +  +  +

Mid-Bottom lids	Bottom boxes	   Bottom lids

A more compact alternative would be to include the lids in the drawing of each layer of boxes. If there's a top lid in place draw a ^^, if there's a bottom lid in place draw a __, and if both the top and bottom lids are in place but the box hasn't been scored yet draw a ==. And of course if the box has been scored then draw initials, which would also mean that both lids are in place. The two potential problems with that approach are: you have to be very careful to keep the lids accounted for on both adjacent levels when you add them, and I'm not sure if the following would be too illegible
Top layer		  Middle layer	   Bottom layer

+--+  +  +  +	  +  +  +  +  +	  +  +  +  +  +

|^^					__				 ==	   

+  +  +  +  +	  +  +  +  +  +	  +  +--+--+  +

== __			  ^^ ==			 |__ ^^|   

+--+  +  +  +	  +  +  +  +  +	  +  +--+  +  +

__ ^^			 |^^|  |						 

+  +  +  +  +	  +--+--+  +  +	  +  +--+--+  +

|__				 ^^	

+  +  +  +  +	  +  +  +--+--+	  +  +  +  +  +

I don't want to have a new thread because I don't want this to be another Masterword where we have games #1-#30 on different threads. You, me and Andromeda seem to be on often enough where as soon as we get someone else to play we will be fine.

I am liking your Cube idea though. It took me a while to get it wrapped around my brain but I see it as a good idea. For this game lets keep it 2-D. It's hard enough to predict how to guarantee a win in 2-D as it is, and afterwards we will leave it up to the winner to determine what type of game we use.

1. GMaster

2. Andromeda

3. Plasmid

Edited by Gmaster479

x--x  x  x  x  x

x  x  x  x  x  x

x  x  x--x  x  x

|		 

x  x  x  x  x  x

x  x  x  x--x  x

x  x  x  x  x  x

Sneaking on at school FTW xD