BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Gmaster479

Question

How many of you have played this game? You know the game where you make lines on a board and you try to avoid letting everyone else make squares? If you don't I'll explain it and run through a basic game for you.

Let's just say that Player 1 is first. He makes a line on the page. It has to be vertical or horizontal and can only be between 2 dots. After that Player 2 makes a line, probably in a different place, in just the same way.

I'm thinking this game will have 4 players and even though it seems easy at first, after a while you want to try and avoid making the third line of a square because the next player can then make a square, put his or her intials in it and then proceed to go again. Possibly making another square. In the end the person with the most squares with their initials in it wins.

In a couple hours, The next post will have an example of how a game would end.

EXAMPLE SIGN UP:

Player 1: GMaster479 (GM)

Player 2: A.I (AI)

Player 3: WilsonsMum (WM)

Player 4: voltage: (VT)

• Answers 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Okay, I have realized that my attachment requires too much space to post, so if anyone knows what I'm talking about can you help me find a way to post images of this instead of attachments or something?

Well first you have to remove the attachment that you've posted. Go to My Controls - Manage Your Attachments and delete this one from there. Than open this picture and save it in GIF or JPG when you click on the save button. And then you do everything like you did the first time around.

2947_1138795873927_1348292115_357900_730155_n.jpg

I hope this helps! :)

Edited by andromeda

Thanks Andromeda, that helps alot :D

, this is the blank board as is

, this is the board of a simulated game between:

Player 1: GMaster479 (GM) (7 of 25)

Player 2: A.I (AI) (14 of 25) *Winner

Player 3: WilsonsMum (WM) (2 of 25)

Player 4: voltage: (VT) (2 of 25)

For the first game I say keep it simple and just have 4 people sign up and use the 6 x 6 board.

After this, lets crank it up to a really big board and have many people taking turns.

So lets fill this sign up list with 3 more people and make sure you choose a color for your line/initials

1. GMaster479 (GM)

Edited by Gmaster479

I'm familiar with this game so I only have one question...

You are suggesting that everyone, when it's their turn, should download the picture, add a line, and then upload it again? :huh:

That sounds like an awful lot of work for one post ;)

Do you know how to bridge this problem?

Edited by andromeda

I'm familiar with this game so I only have one question...

You are suggesting that everyone, when it's their turn, should download the picture, add a line, and then upload it again? :huh:

That sounds like an awful lot of work for one post ;)

Do you know how to bridge this problem?

I have a suggestion to solve this problem:

Since you have 6 x 6 dots, make each column labelled A, B, C .... F and each row labelled 1,2,3,....6.

So, the participant when reach his round just type in: My line: C5-D5 (which mean draw line from dot location (C,5) to (D,5)

That will reduce the impact of time taken to download and upload and also cause this thread heavier.

So at the end it can become like:

R1

1. GM: A1-A2

2. AI: C5-D6

3. WM: A2-B2

4. VT: F6-F5

R2

1. GM: A1-B1

2. AI: D6-D5

and so on.

Each of you keep a real paper with you to mark the line when a participant make his move.

I have a suggestion to solve this problem:

Since you have 6 x 6 dots, make each column labelled A, B, C .... F and each row labelled 1,2,3,....6.

Each of you keep a real paper with you to mark the line when a participant make his move.

Actually I have simpler suggestion. How about just mark them from 1-36 without letters just numbers.

So for example the first player starts with 1-2, then the next one continues with 21-27 and so on. I didn't check in the rules if the next line has to be connected with the previous ones?

And like Woon said, everyone should have these dots drawn to follow the progress.

:)

Edited by andromeda

Ya, we can mark the dots with numbers, and label the squares with letters maybe. That way when you close off a square, you can make it clear about which square you're claiming. It'll also be easy to keep track of who has the most squares at any given time.

Dabbleboad for simple stuff, make public or for specific users, when public it may not easily befound anyway.. you can pm the people it's saved as (ZXY321), can work in this case. I've had fun with it, but not made a public one.

I would suggest:

A small blank grid

+  +  +  +  +

+ + + + +

+ + + + +[/codebox]

With some lines added

[codebox]+ +--+--+ +
| |
+ + + +--+
| |
+ +--+ + +

With some initials filled in.

+  +--+--+  +
|BD|BD|
+ +--+--+--+
|RM|RM|ID|
+ +--+--+--+[/codebox]

It's probably easiest to copy into Notepad (or whatever you use with a fixed-width font) and paste back into a codebox instead of using the forum's editor.

Yes scsw. Whoever finishes the box claims it and the ones with the most squares wins.

Also, I'm liking Andromeda's idea. Labeling the dots 1-36 works well and I believe that it will end up working.

Also LIS's idea of using Dabbleboard is good. I copied the blank board there and every so often I can simply post the link to make sure the board is correct.

1. GMaster479 (GM) Orange

2. A.I (AI) Blue

Edited by Gmaster479

I would suggest:

A small blank grid

+  +  +  +  +

+ + + + +

+ + + + +[/codebox]

With some lines added

[codebox]+ +--+--+ +
| |
+ + + +--+
| |
+ +--+ + +

With some initials filled in.

+  +--+--+  +
|BD|BD|
+ +--+--+--+
|RM|RM|ID|
+ +--+--+--+[/codebox]

It's probably easiest to copy into Notepad (or whatever you use with a fixed-width font) and paste back into a codebox instead of using the forum's editor.

Good Idea! :)

Plasmid's idea can work too. It's not as colorful but it will work.

Can it hold a 6 x 6 board and not look deformed?

You mean show the whole thing without a scrollbar?

Yes, you'll just need to use a "code" tag instead of the "codebox" tag (that the Quick Access box on your left has) so it won't have scrollbars.

Just make a Codebox and delete "box" from the bracketed tag.

If that's not what you're talking about, I'm not sure what kind of deformity you mean.

+  +  +  +  +  +  +

+  +  +  +  +  +  +

+  +  +  +  +  +  +

+  +  +  +  +  +  +

+  +  +  +  +  +  +

+  +  +  +  +  +  +

+  +  +  +  +  +  +

Plasmid's idea can work too. It's not as colorful but it will work.

Can it hold a 6 x 6 board and not look deformed?

I was thinking the same, somebody also might mess it up while copy-pasting :lol: so it'll end up all wrong so I suggest you use plasmids idea but also keep track with numbers just to be sure! ;)

Thanks for the PM, I didn't realize we were gonna start playing today so I wouldn't have checked otherwise.

x--x--x  x  x  x

x  x  x  x  x  x

x  x  x  x  x  x

x  x  x  x  x  x

x  x  x  x  x  x

x  x  x  x  x  x

1, 2

2, 3

Also, how are we gonna draw the vertical lines?