A cage lies below with looks just for show

And a lantern is lit in the flat,

Which silently swings, hoping to bring

A meal to a meal, tet-for-tat.

Who owns the flat?

Edited by Shakeepuddn

16 answers to this question

Possibly a farmer?

Some germs are like worms in the loosest of terms (Bacteria)

That wiggle in deepest of dark. (Loft of a barn)

Some like a party and when they get started (Grow, produce heat)

The mood is just like a spark. (Spontaneous combustion)

These silly critters get all in a twitter

When finding the flat at the end (Again, barn loft, the corner where there is the least airflow/best growing conditions)

Of the narrowest street in the darkest of deep (Dirt road)

Which from an odd town extends. (Hick town)

A cage lies below with looks just for show (Stables)

And a lantern is lit in the flat,

Which silently swings, hoping to bring

A meal to a meal, tet-for-tat. (Not quite sure about these last few lines)

Thanks for another riddle, I rather enjoy yours. Keep it up :D

Bah, late for work=late to answer.

This one was obvious for me, but I've been a fan of that particular prehistoric throwback since grade school. Have you been watching "Finding Nemo" with the kids? ;)

Anglerfish (think Finding Nemo)

The extension from the head of an anglerfish has a fleshy bulb, into which bacteria can borrow like worms through pores. These bacteria are often bioluminescent, depending on what type of anglerfish and in what part / depth of the ocean they dwell. When enough bacteria (germs) inhabit the bulb, it glows. The anglerfish will also twitch or swing its lure to attract other fish to what appears to be a wormy treat. Unbeknownst to the prey, a cage of needle-like teeth awaits below to ensnare the victim. With most anglerfish that live at great depths, their vision is near useless, but fairly unnecessary as well.

I was too late to answer as well, but I thought that this one was one of your easier riddles... at least if you are aware of the existence of the angler fish. The clues are pretty straight forward.

Anglerfish (think Finding Nemo)

The extension from the head of an anglerfish has a fleshy bulb, into which bacteria can borrow like worms through pores. These bacteria are often bioluminescent, depending on what type of anglerfish and in what part / depth of the ocean they dwell. When enough bacteria (germs) inhabit the bulb, it glows. The anglerfish will also twitch or swing its lure to attract other fish to what appears to be a wormy treat. Unbeknownst to the prey, a cage of needle-like teeth awaits below to ensnare the victim. With most anglerfish that live at great depths, their vision is near useless, but fairly unnecessary as well.

I had no idea the bioluminescence was due to a parasitic/symbiotic bacterium. And I thought the tentacles of the man o' war were sort of like a cage too -- partly why I changed my answer. Although apparently the man o' war is not bioluminescent. They're those purple bubble thingies you find on the beach (we always just called them sea-pests). I must be thinking of a different organism(s)... What are those huge bioluminescent jellyfish colonies called? Some of them can grow to a hundred feet long.

Anyway, another 5-star riddle/poem. I always seem to get the sea-themed ones...

It was the "odd town" bit that made me change my answer actually, now that I think of it...

Edited by d3k3

I was too late to answer as well, but I thought that this one was one of your easier riddles... at least if you are aware of the existence of the angler fish. The clues are pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the input. I really didn't think it was that obvious except for the "deep and dark" clue which leads one to the obvious when all is taken in context. That was the intention. I don't want to make them too esoteric as I prefer these to appeal to a broader audience than just you and graven and d3k3 and such. In fact, I'm not writing them specifically for this forum. I just post them here to see how they're received and so certainly welcome such input as you've given.

Cheers

Thanks for the input. I really didn't think it was that obvious except for the "deep and dark" clue which leads one to the obvious when all is taken in context. That was the intention. I don't want to make them too esoteric as I prefer these to appeal to a broader audience than just you and graven and d3k3 and such. In fact, I'm not writing them specifically for this forum. I just post them here to see how they're received and so certainly welcome such input as you've given.

Cheers

What do you mean you don't write these just for me?!?! :( [feigned shock] You're using us?!!! :o [feigned shock off]

Edited by Grayven