BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

andromeda

Question

This just popped up when I wanted to send a PM?! :huh: I couldn't PM anyone to ask for an obvious reason.

The error returned was:

You cannot send another PM until Apr 11 2009, 03:48 AM

OK it's 3:50 and I can do it now, but I don't get it why I couldn't?

EDIT: Grammar :dry:

EDIT: You should definitely rename this forum to Comments, Suggestions and Questions rookie.

Edited by andromeda

24 answers to this question

I too am having this problem and it's particularly frustrating while hosting a game and having to answer many pms. I'll understand of course, if this is a necessary restriction on bandwidth or something, but I would like to know more about it. Like what those restrictions are exactly so I can use my limited pms wisely.

Due to recent PM mass spamming, new patch was implemented to the forum and I have set up PM flood control to 5 minutes. So you can send the next PM after 5 minutes.

However, I could decrease it to 3 minutes if you would accept the higher risk of PM spamming.

Itachi-san, I have disabled this PM flood control for VIPs (not possible for regular ranks yet).

Due to recent PM mass spamming, new patch was implemented to the forum and I have set up PM flood control to 5 minutes. So you can send the next PM after 5 minutes.

However, I could decrease it to 3 minutes if you would accept the higher risk of PM spamming.

Itachi-san, I have disabled this PM flood control for VIPs (not possible for regular ranks yet).

That won't work for me. If I need to send a PM because I forgot something in the previous one I can't wait that long cause a member might be gone by that time.

What PM mass spamming?? Elaborate please :huh: I had no problem with that!

I'm pretty sure that this can be dealt with differently!

Edited by andromeda

That won't work for me. If I need to send a PM because I forgot something in the previous one I can't wait that long cause a member might be gone by that time.

What PM mass spamming?? Elaborate please :huh: I had no problem with that!

I'm pretty sure that this can be dealt with differently!

PM mass spamming = humans are registering to satisfy the reCAPTCHA requirements and then activating a "bot" to send hundreds of SPAM messages via the PM system within several minutes (that happened twice lately - pinupka and mignulikz)

There is one more way which I used earlier - I decreased "Max. Number users allowed to mass PM" to 3.

These are the best ways to decrease future PM mass spamming.

PM mass spamming = humans are registering to satisfy the reCAPTCHA requirements and then activating a "bot" to send hundreds of SPAM messages via the PM system within several minutes (that happened twice lately - pinupka and mignulikz)

There is one more way which I used earlier - I decreased "Max. Number users allowed to mass PM" to 3.

These are the best ways to decrease future PM mass spamming.

I hear you, but mass spamming is sporadic, who knows when it's gonna happen again. Waiting for the messenger to kick in again is frustrating... I'm jumping on my seat yelling "Come one already!!!". This is a problem cause if I have received several messages, or PM-ing with several people at the same time I can't wait that long!

If you don't believe me how frustrating it is ask Johny ;)

Seriously I don't think that mass spamming is that much of a big deal. All you have to do is warn everyone not to click on the link that the spammers are sending. Every member will erase the spam message and everything's cool.

This waiting is really annoying... :(

Edited by andromeda

I think that your method is working quite well. I run a IPB forum as well... but a math related one, and I thought that my forum would be safe by simply creating some filters for registration. Except I get bots that "create new topic" or "random post" spams as well. As in, they create as hundreds of topics and posts filled with spam as quickly as they can.

Can we not just ban members from our PM list for spamming?

If they are spamming admin - they should be banned from forum

the usual fee applies €0.02

PM spammers are banned after they spam. You won't have to ban them then. But what about future/unknown spammers? Imagine that each day about 50 new members are registered and next week 1 spammer will register. I have no idea what user name or IP he/she will use and only after he/she sends out spam, only then I can be sure that he/she is a spammer and ban him/her then.

Can we not just ban members from our PM list for spamming?

If they are spamming admin - they should be banned from forum

the usual fee applies €0.02

Nah... rookie said that they activate some kind of bots that enable them to send hundreds of PMs within few minutes and this PM flood control is somewhat an obstacle. I don't mind that one minute of waiting.

Those people that do that don't really have an interest being the members of this forum LIS, they are just filling up their quota.

Edited by andromeda

Hey Rookie... there is a bot that stops such things, you know that right?

You could also put a word thingy, like when you create an email... that would stop bots from registering........ if it gets to bad you could put it for each log-in...

Edited by Blade

Hey Rookie... there is a bot that stops such things, you know that right?

Which bot? Can you provide a link?

You could also put a word thingy, like when you create an email... that would stop bots from registering........ if it gets to bad you could put it for each log-in...

As written above, bots do not register. Humans do and they run a bot afterwards to send PM spam.

Rookie, did you also reduce the number of people that we can CC??

I think we could have CC-ed 4 before... was that necessary? :huh:

As written above

That happened several weeks ago and it is a good preventive measure.