BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Imagine you have a chessboard (8 squares by 8 squares). there is a knight at one of the corners. how many moves do you have to make to cover all the squares. (and yes, you may go on a square more than once.) for those of you who do not know how to play chess, go here and check the part about the knights. ;)

12 answers to this question

Imagine you have a chessboard (8 squares by 8 squares). there is a knight at one of the corners. how many moves do you have to make to cover all the squares. (and yes, you may go on a square more than once.) for those of you who do not know how to play chess, go here and check the part about the knights. ;)

32?

btw, i like your spoiler chain in your post

the answer is 36 B)):D

you have to have more than 64 moves to cover the entire board, no? I did a search on Google for a Virtual Chessboard that marks the spots that the Knight moves, and here's what I found:

http://www.mathsisfun.com/games/knights-move-2.html

I did it in 71 moves, but I misclicked, and this was my first time doing it. The answer lies between 64 and 71.

I agree that if the OP states that the knight has to LAND on each of the squares, then the answer is between 64 and 71...and that's what I originally thought the OP stated. However, after reading the other posts, and re-reading the OP, I think it may just mean that the knight has to travel over each of the squares...

If that is the case, on my first try I covered the entire board in 25 moves...so I think it can probably be done in less, but I have that so far.

I agree that if the OP states that the knight has to LAND on each of the squares, then the answer is between 64 and 71...and that's what I originally thought the OP stated. However, after reading the other posts, and re-reading the OP, I think it may just mean that the knight has to travel over each of the squares...

If that is the case, on my first try I covered the entire board in 25 moves...so I think it can probably be done in less, but I have that so far.

Awww I thought that was what 'cover' meant. My bad. Sorry.

Wait.. Pickett, how did you keep track of the squares you went over? Graph paper?

And to anybody, how may I edit one of my posts? I'm a newbie and I can't find the right button.

If it's landing on every square, then it's exactly 64. Look up "Knight's tour."

If you just have to run over the square (i.e. every move covers 3 squares) then I got it in 22 moves.

Ah! This is new!

A puzzle about chess...I'm liking this!! XD

I'm thinking 63 or 64 moves. (It depends on the answer to my question)

But I got a very important question: Do you count the square that the knight started on?

Answer strikes me as fairly straight forward - 63 moves. Easy following the same principal as solving solitaire - work from outside in (in as much as posisble). Tried on the site that was linked above.

Edited by PaulE

The answer here depends on what 1221 means by 'cover.' Does the Knight have to land on each square or merely pass over it in the course of moving between squares? Until that has been clarified then there are two possible 'fewest moves' answers, one as has been noted involving the Knight's Path, that gets interesting on n x n square boards where n>8.

answer can be 21 becuz knight covers 3 squares in 1 move, so 63 sq in 21 moves....considering that no overlap is possible(trying it act will take a lot of time)