BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

As some people may know (I know Kat and Tiger do) I have a couple stories I work on. I know I mentioned it in the Too much time on Brainden topic at some point because of spending time here instead of writing...but it was also because of writers block. So, any fellow writers on BD know any good techniques for fighting writer's block?

15 answers to this question

Glad to hear your about agoin

Take a chill - and jsut watch the world go buy somewhere - I used to go to the top of Muswell Hill London N10 Rain or shine - Kentucky Fried Chicken and me solved lots of things together. Also remember to breath - I've been doing all my life out of habit and it hasn't done me any harm.

I use to get tenderers block (pricing for contracts)- kinder the same but I could do it with my eyes cloesd and follow up on the tenders, but there were days were I could not price anything -

Plagiarise!

B))

I once tended a job so high to make sure we did not get it (

you automatically are not considered for tendering anymore if you do not tender, We wone the job at enormous profits - I thought it was a small contract, it was for the whole of the London group - we were the only ones to fully extend the prices and a new buyer was under pressure to order materials in case they had delays!)

Sorry about the anecdotes - It does help to get away/chill/watch and listen to some anecdotes. Real people are where characters have to come life for many books (and comedy).

Don't know why I came into this topic - I probably do not qualify, but I hope it helps!

I'd say that writer's block and designer's are quite similar. That said, here's my suggestion that seems to work for me. Talk to people. If you're trying to keep the story a slight secret give them basic concepts. If not, inform them about where you began, where you're at and how you got there. You'd be surprised at the ideas from non-artists come up with. 9 our of ten times I've been quite inspired by them in my designs. Remember: we as artists typically design for the public most of which are non-artists.

The other option is to stay awake Neil you're ridiculously tired and then a little longer. eventually the sleep deprivation will cause your mind to unwind and crazy thoughts come out then which typically make for good stories.

Read, research, write, repeat.

Read what you've already written from the beginning. Perhaps start with a little editing and fine tuning of what is already on the page to get things moving again. This works even if what you're re-reading isn't the project you're currently working on.

Research... This one is tricky, depending on what you're writing. Re-read the some of the stuff that inspired you to write in the first place. The tricky part is to make sure not to let too much of what you read creep into what you write. That can happen easily if you're not careful.

Write! Write a letter to a friend, edit old work (this one works best for me, personally. I tend to inspire myself), turn routine email replies into creative writing exercises, etc. Just write, write, write.

and Repeat. Don't stop trying. Especially the writing part. Take a break and get outside for a while. Soak up some sunshine and recharge your batteries. Both "happy batteries" and "creativity batteries" are solar rechargeable. B))

Best of luck. I look forward to the opportunity to see your stuff in print.

I find the best way to stay creative is to sometimes distance myself from whatever I'm writing for a little while. It could be for only a couple hours. Sooner or later, while not actively thinking about the story, something new will dawn on me and I'll return to writing with new vigor. Since writing is relatively stationary (unless you record your voice while running or something) I think the best diversion is to do something with physical exertion. If you have writer's block, then start to tire out your body and give your brain a rest ;)

I usually try writing something else. It forces the brain onto a different topic, and generally speaking the reason that I fail at keeping momentum going on one topic is that I've focused too much on a small aspect of it. Usually, if I start a new story then within a short period I'll be able to come up with more for the old story. The difficulty THEN is deciding whether to continue the old story or the new story, which is a good problem to have.

If I can't get started on a story, I just start writing something, anything. Even if it's garbage it gets the juices flowing, and sometimes it turns out to be pretty good.

Heh, I have lots of experince with Writer's block. I always go outside, read one of my favorite authors, or just start on something else. Don't overwork your writing. Give it rests often so you can come back later with a fresh mindset.

Thanks for all the advice. It's a big help. Some of the things I have tried (taking breaks, reading older chapters of my story, etc) and I'm still having a little writer's block, but now I have a few other things to try out. Another thing though that I have is when I'm writing, I sometimes will get easily distracted...Any good ways to combat that?

Well... writing at night when everyone else is asleep is much better, but if you are working during day it's impossible!

Yes...I work during the day...So it's hard to not be distracted.

Thanks for all the advice. It's a big help. Some of the things I have tried (taking breaks, reading older chapters of my story, etc) and I'm still having a little writer's block, but now I have a few other things to try out. Another thing though that I have is when I'm writing, I sometimes will get easily distracted...Any good ways to combat that?

I happen to be an expert on distraction! As an adult who has overcome some significant ADD, I've had to discover ways to decrease my distractedness. For me, these are survival techniques, but they may be helpful for you as well.

First, get rid of your clutter. I have a large black mat that covers my desk and nothing else but a simple desk lamp. Everything stays stored away until I need to bring it out and use it, then it gets put right back. Whatever I am working lies in the middle of this beautiful pool of black, spotlighted by the desk lamp. Simply put, hide away the things that distract you and you are less likely to be distracted.

Second, and perhaps more important, partially distract yourself. This seems counterintuitive, but the brain gets distracted because it needs stimulation. I doodle when I'm in meetings to help me stay focused on the conversation. I play solitaire on my Palm when I'm chatting with my manager. It used to drive him nuts until he tried to keep my attention without it. Active minds often need a low level of "non-interesting" distraction just to keep the parts you're not using busy. "Non-interesting" is the hard part. When I'm doing mundane paperwork, I'll listen to classical music ( MusOpen Radio ) to keep a low level of stimulation going. I like it, and there are no lyrics to distract me. There are also background noise CDs out there, like waterfalls and spring rain and such. Basically, anything that claims to help relax you or help you sleep should work as long as it doesn't annoy you first. ;)

If you're still having a LOT of difficulty focusing, you may want to consider seeking professional help. I happen to get a lot of benefit from a low dose of medication, but it would have been useless without training and strategies that I learned from my Occupational Therapist. She helped me learn to organize and un-clutter.

And another thing: Unplug. If you use a laptop, disconnect from the internet. I can assure you that if BD is just a click away, you will be drawn to that click every time your mind wanders. (personal experience) I've had to go so far as to have my IT guy put parental controls on the computer so I couldn't log in at will.

If you need any more help, PM me. This is a subject that I have obsessed upon and have managed some little bit of innovation in solving my own unique attention issues.

Good Luck!

OH! I almost forgot.... Unless you're getting paid to write, you have to treat it as secondary to your job/family/personal life, etc. Obviously writing is a passion for you, and that is a tremendous gift. On the other hand, you will always be distracted if you take work home with you, have friction with your family nagging at your brain, recently had a fight with your significant other, etc. (unless you're writing dark poetry, then this kind of stress might be a catalyst). Basically, if you find yourself often distracted, check your life and see if you can identify the underlying cause of your distraction. Correct that, and you're productivity will soar. I guarantee it.

I can definitely say that stimulation with music definitely helps me to think but when I'm at work where the computers are not mine to use as I want, kinda hard to do that lol. And work is one of the main places I have a chance to work on it since I'm even MORE distracted at home (talking to my friends, planning dates with my girlfriend, TV, games, etc)

I can definitely say that stimulation with music definitely helps me to think but when I'm at work where the computers are not mine to use as I want, kinda hard to do that lol. And work is one of the main places I have a chance to work on it since I'm even MORE distracted at home (talking to my friends, planning dates with my girlfriend, TV, games, etc)

I don't know what is available to you and what the set-up is where you live but ANYTIME I have work to do I go to the Library. Sounds clichéd maybe, but if you can find a secluded spot there, and like Grayven mentioned, if you can stay away from the internet, then I think it would be very worthwhile. Well it is for me :).

And something that helps me when I'm stuck for ideas is, oddly enough, to go swimming. To do lengths, and plenty of them, really clears my head of clutter, helping me think creatively.

Take a break and read another book - you will get some ideas soon. Maybe go and walk around someplace think about something off your topic and try to make some connection with that and your story-you will get lots of ideas in a little bit.