• Answers 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

here you can post fun facts about anything of anything heres one:

the electric chair was invented by a dentist :ph34r:

And so was chewing gum - and it had sugar in then to make sure he was kept busy

And so was chewing gum - and it had sugar in then to make sure he was kept busy

chewing gum does not rot your teeth!,well sorta it depends if you dont brush your teeth yes even drinking water helps,also some gum helps your teeth

hmmm... this is the only one i can think of right now, and it has an innapropriate ring to it....

octomom once worked as a stripper.

i could have gone my whole life not knowing that, maybe ive just opened a can worms...........

5 just does it faster. But if you're going to bother chewing gum, do 5. That stuff is the best.

i love it!!! and yup, i don't see how gum could both help ur teeth, and taste good at the same time...

anyways:

if u go into space without a space suit, you will not have one minute to live, holding ur breath will not help (the hitchhiters guide 2 the galaxy is wrong) if u go into space without a space suit, you will explode! open the spoiler for reasoning:

Spoiler for why it happens!:

on earth, about 15 pounds is put on your body per square inch (psi). and your body always pushes up with 15 psi, so it doesn't mess u up. and you get used to constantly pushing up, so u don't feel it. when that 15 psi is removed (like in space or a vacuum chamber) your body still pushes up, and dismantles itself. so basically, your muscles rip themselves, and everything else, out of your body. making you explode.

meanwhile, did u know Hitler put people in vacuum chambers and watched them explode? he claimed he did it for medical purposes (a vacuum chamber mimics the vacuum of space).

-also, dry ice is not ice at all, just frozen CO2!

-the air contains more nitrogen than oxygen

i love it!!! and yup, i don't see how gum could both help ur teeth, and taste good at the same time...

anyways:

if u go into space without a space suit, you will not have one minute to live, holding ur breath will not help (the hitchhiters guide 2 the galaxy is wrong) if u go into space without a space suit, you will explode! open the spoiler for reasoning:

Spoiler for why it happens!:

on earth, about 15 pounds is put on your body per square inch (psi). and your body always pushes up with 15 psi, so it doesn't mess u up. and you get used to constantly pushing up, so u don't feel it. when that 15 psi is removed (like in space or a vacuum chamber) your body still pushes up, and dismantles itself. so basically, your muscles rip themselves, and everything else, out of your body. making you explode.

meanwhile, did u know Hitler put people in vacuum chambers and watched them explode? he claimed he did it for medical purposes (a vacuum chamber mimics the vacuum of space).

-also, dry ice is not ice at all, just frozen CO2!

-the air contains more nitrogen than oxygen

Any surface moisture will begin to evaporate, and exposed mucous membranes will burn as though you had just gotten out of a nice methanol bath. Your skin will become distended, not from any effort on the part of your muscles and tendons, but because it is holding stuff in that is at a pressure higher than the stuff outside, like an inflated balloon. You must have done this as a kid: place your mouth over a glass and suck as much air out as you can. You can get surprisingly close to a vacuum that way (2-3 psi), and nothing really bad happens, except your sister gets scared and tells your mom.

While a few cell membranes might burst, there will be no sci-fi movie head explosion, I'm afraid. Your skin is perfectly capable of holding itself together for a mere 15 psi pressure differential. It's a good thing too, or else you wouldn't be able to stand up without rupturing the skin on your feet. Your skeletal structure would be completely unaffected.

Numerous experiments have been performed on animals in artificial vacuums (1-2 mm Hg). The vast majority were able to survive for periods between 30 seconds to several minutes and recover fully, with no long term ill effects. Some were revived after periods of half an hour, although with lasting injury to mucous membranes and pulmonary tissue, and often also brain damage.

Oddly enough, you will die faster if you try to hold your breath (as you will probably suffer a pulmonary embolism) than if you let it out. It's no different (apart from the burning mucous membranes) than sailors stuck in a sunken submarine escaping via the "blow and go".

So, it turns out that Dave's escape wasn't so far-fetched after all.

But don't take my word for it. Ask NASA

Fact: Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon with his LEFT foot first!

2nd Fact: Worms use vibrations in the ground to escape from predators.

3rd: Hawaii is moving closer to Japan every year.

4th: A man ate a bicycle, and 3 feet of wire a day, and many other metal object in place on regular food, he then died of lead poisoning.

5th: 3 bank robbers tried to rob a bank, except the bank was closing, so one started talking into a safe, listening to the echo, telling his friends to come in. they did, and to increase "effects" they closed the door. Click! the door was locked. Later, they were promptly arrested.

EDIT: add spoiler ( i dunno why)

Edited by chidoric

My best friend builds toilets for the space station. (Project Manager/Program Integrator at Nasa)

He totally confirms what d3k3 said. Except that the holding breath thing is debatable. He's pretty sure current opinion leans toward holding it, but it changes often.

All water aboard the International Space Station is recycled. Systems reclaim water vapor from the Environmental control unit (water vapor from breathing, sweating, etc.) Another system reclaims most of the liquid waste that the astronauts produce. (Yep, they get to drink recycled urine!)

Lies, rumors, and slander. I never had a cavity in my entire life. Then I discovered 5 Gum. A [minor] cavity [that didn't even show up on x-rays] a month later. Gum is bad for you.

Lol, I believe that this is a fallacy of Post Hoc. (haha, I am just messing with you. I have been reading too much of ADParker's posts ;) )

Any surface moisture will begin to evaporate, and exposed mucous membranes will burn as though you had just gotten out of a nice methanol bath. Your skin will become distended, not from any effort on the part of your muscles and tendons, but because it is holding stuff in that is at a pressure higher than the stuff outside, like an inflated balloon. You must have done this as a kid: place your mouth over a glass and suck as much air out as you can. You can get surprisingly close to a vacuum that way (2-3 psi), and nothing really bad happens, except your sister gets scared and tells your mom.

While a few cell membranes might burst, there will be no sci-fi movie head explosion, I'm afraid. Your skin is perfectly capable of holding itself together for a mere 15 psi pressure differential. It's a good thing too, or else you wouldn't be able to stand up without rupturing the skin on your feet. Your skeletal structure would be completely unaffected.

Numerous experiments have been performed on animals in artificial vacuums (1-2 mm Hg). The vast majority were able to survive for periods between 30 seconds to several minutes and recover fully, with no long term ill effects. Some were revived after periods of half an hour, although with lasting injury to mucous membranes and pulmonary tissue, and often also brain damage.

Oddly enough, you will die faster if you try to hold your breath (as you will probably suffer a pulmonary embolism) than if you let it out. It's no different (apart from the burning mucous membranes) than sailors stuck in a sunken submarine escaping via the "blow and go".

So, it turns out that Dave's escape wasn't so far-fetched after all.

oh, well i heard that from my chemistry teacher, i wonder what else they lie about...

The elephant is the only mammal unable to jump.

Chewing Gum is banned in Singapore.

and that's completely untrue, humans are mammals, and we can jump very easily.

oh, well i heard that from my chemistry teacher, i wonder what else they lie about...

and that's completely untrue, humans are mammals, and we can jump very easily.

he said elephants are the only mammal UNABLE to jump

he said elephants are the only mammal UNABLE to jump

OHHHH!!!! SORRYYYY!!!!! I READ IT WRONG!!!! (i was thinking that was pretty funny that elephants could jump :P ) but wait... can matinees jump? :blink:

did u know some ppl think life is a video game?

Edited by UGG BUYS UGLY HOUSES!

ok, this is true, but really wierd.

i don't remember where, but:

it is illegal to ride down central street on a donkey in August, UNLESS it is wearing a straw hat (the donkey).

wierd...

General Motors had trouble selling their new car, tthe Nova, to latin america, they then realized in Spanish No Va means it doesnt go!

woooowww...

that was an epic fail on their part!

Most toilets flush in E flat

Spoiler for more:

In 1977 there were 37 known elvis impersonators, in 1993 48,000.At this rate by 2010 one out of three people will be an elvis impersonator

Spoiler for phew:

U.S.A citizens watch s lot of TV, by age 65, people woulda wacthed equal to 9 years of nonstop TV(I would have 12 years).

Spoiler for OMG:

Mel Blanc voice of Bugs Bunny was allegic to carrots

Spoiler for hmmm:

Hippos are EBIL, they have killed more people than any other animal in the world

Spoiler for ALMOST:

The only bone not reported ever broken in a skiing accident are the ones in your INNER ear.

Spoiler for DOne?, yes done:

AND LAST the most loved car is the VOlkswagon Beetle(I love it too)

Lol, I believe that this is a fallacy of Post Hoc. (haha, I am just messing with you. I have been reading too much of ADParker's posts ;) )

Haha. Yeah, far too many of ADParker's posts. :P I'm sure my hypothesis could be supported experimentally though. Anyone want to donate their teeth in the name of science?

Fun facts.. umm.. gah, I can't think of any. Two interesting (disgusting) news stories I remember reading. (Never get into stupid court cases, human idiocy will annoy you):

Rape now legal in Afghanistan.

Kids send nude pics to one another and face kiddie pr0n charges.