BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I had the distinct and humbling pleasure to help bring my new baby daughter into the world! :wub: Little Lyra (Lie-ra) was born Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 3:34 A.M. We had her at home under the care of our midwife. She was 6 lbs 12 oz and 19.5 inches long.

Mother and child are both supremely healthy and happy, I'm pleased to say. :thumbsup:

Witnessing the primal power and determination, the poise, and the sheer force of will involved in bringing a child into this world, has given me pause and I find myself re-evaluating my priorities. :blush:

Anyway, I felt it important to share my profound joy and great pride at becoming a father for the first time. :D

On a related note, I need to find a website for sharing photos with my distant family and friends. I've read about questionable practices with the likes of MySpace and FaceBook. Things like possibly no longer owning images and writing that you post there worry me. Basically, I would like to mine the collective BD community for alternative sites that are a little less scary. I've been inspired by this event and I would hate to think that anything I write and post could no longer belong to me.

Ok, I've got some sleep to catch up on. Thanks in advance for any advice. I'll check back in a couple days.

12 answers to this question

Aww! :wub: Congrats, Grayven!

Sorry I can't give you any advice on the picture-sharing.

P.S.: Does her name have anything to do with the Golden Compass? It's a beautiful name, by the way.

grats Dad

Picasa for photos (part of google - you can make it private, video via google too ), also photbucket and you tube (allows for video again)

mySpace and facebook are for like a blog/diary that your friends n family can subcribe to for updated information, but they need accounts too.

Picassa is my bet for pix, google/youtube for video - there may be better choices but I have no huge need for something all singing all dancing at the mo

P.S.: Does her name have anything to do with the Golden Compass? It's a beautiful name, by the way.

Yes, actually. We were looking for names with a classic sound but that weren't "old". We went to see the movie shortly before becoming pregnant and both agreed that Lyra was a good possibility. The fact that the character was so strong and independent was another good point. A little research to confirm that it wasn't a common name and it has been our girl name since.

It coincidentally happens to be a portmanteau of both of our fathers' first names as well.

Thanks LIS for the reminder about Picasa. I played with it as a picture viewer when it first came out, but sort of forgot about it. I'll look into it.

Aww, congratz man! Enjoy fatherhood, even the soon to be sleepless nights. :D

Oh yeah.... forgot to mention.... Little girls can be fussy at night! Make sure you keep an overabundance of pacifiers with you at night! (also, keep spare bottles with formula by her crib, they will be useful)

Yes, actually. We were looking for names with a classic sound but that weren't "old". We went to see the movie shortly before becoming pregnant and both agreed that Lyra was a good possibility. The fact that the character was so strong and independent was another good point. A little research to confirm that it wasn't a common name and it has been our girl name since.

I think that's amazing that you've named your daughter after her. Lyra was an amazing character, like you said, and since reading His Dark Materials years ago, I've always wanted to come across someone called Lyra. It really is a great name. Your surname isn't by any chance Belacqua? :P

Congratulations btw! :D

Congratulations old man!! :D My wife uses www.totsites.com for our twins. No videos, but you can post photos. They also have a guestbook, journal, and fun facts about your baby's development. My wife likes to change the theme to match the holidays as well. Visitors can subscribe and get an e-mail when you post updates.

I had the distinct and humbling pleasure to help bring my new baby daughter into the world! :wub: Little Lyra (Lie-ra) was born Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 3:34 A.M. We had her at home under the care of our midwife. She was 6 lbs 12 oz and 19.5 inches long.

Mother and child are both supremely healthy and happy, I'm pleased to say. :thumbsup:

Witnessing the primal power and determination, the poise, and the sheer force of will involved in bringing a child into this world, has given me pause and I find myself re-evaluating my priorities. :blush:

Anyway, I felt it important to share my profound joy and great pride at becoming a father for the first time. :D

On a related note, I need to find a website for sharing photos with my distant family and friends. I've read about questionable practices with the likes of MySpace and FaceBook. Things like possibly no longer owning images and writing that you post there worry me. Basically, I would like to mine the collective BD community for alternative sites that are a little less scary. I've been inspired by this event and I would hate to think that anything I write and post could no longer belong to me.

Ok, I've got some sleep to catch up on. Thanks in advance for any advice. I'll check back in a couple days.

Congratulations to the three of you! See you in twenty years ;-P

As for photos, there are tons of free sites, but some have silly rules, like only allowing you to post one picture a day. I think Picasa and Flickr allow you to upload 100 MB per month with a free account, and I'm pretty sure you can make them private and unsearchable. I can't remember if your friends & family have to create their own account to see them though.

The other option is to just start a blog. I think you can make pages invitation-only on most (blogspot?).