BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Peter and John and the boys in the bar were exchanging old war stories.

Peter offered one about how his grandfather led a battalion against a German division during World War I. Through brilliant maneuvers, he defeated them and captured a valuable territory. After the battle he was given something. Peter put his hand in his pocket and took out a paper. Peter boasted that it was given to his grandfather.

The following letter was written on the paper:

July 4th 1919

For Bravery, Courage and Loyalty..

In recognition of his bravery in his battles, his efforts in World War I, and the blood he has given up to his people.. We, his men, give him, Lieutenant Colonel Micheal P. Hilton, this medal, to appreciate him, for being our father, our lord in the war..

Lieutenant Colonel Micheal Hilton was one of the best leaders who had ever served the causes of their countries..

From the Men of Battalion 8.

Peter then handed them a medal, in which the following was inscribed:

"For Bravery, Daring and Leadership.

Men of Battalion 8"

John looked at Peter and said, "You really don't expect anyone to believe that lie, do you?"

Why does John believe that Peter was lying?

7 answers to this question

Haha.. thoses are the same names you used in your previous riddle!

maybe the paper would have decayed or something like that. also, the 8th battalion was a marines regiment, right? the letter sort of acts like it took place on land.

1. The men from battalions didn't give out medals, it was the officers.

2. WW1 was referred to as "The Great War" until after WW2 at which time they decided to number the wars.

Haha.. thoses are the same names you used in your previous riddle!

maybe the paper would have decayed or something like that. also, the 8th battalion was a marines regiment, right? the letter sort of acts like it took place on land.

oh.. actually i have a brain teasers subforum and i'm sharing my teasers here... John and Peter are the people i always use!!

If it really was from WWI, it would only say "The Great War" or "World War". It was not reffered to as WWI until after people knew that a second world war had occurred.

Seen this before, here's the answer:

:rolleyes:

Did you get it in the "Two Minute Mysteries" book? That's where I saw it.

Edited by joeystar1